census search for a school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census search for a school?

I found a census return for my cousin sometime ago now for a Frederick Knight he was at the Duke of York school in London with Edward knight who we think is his brother their next of kin was shown as Walter knight their father he was out in India in service. My cousin has lost the return and asked me to send it to her again I did not keep a note of it and guess what I am now not able to find it on Ancestry; can you search for a School on Ancestry, but I am sure I used Frederick Knight in the search box.

Has anyone any ideas how I can find it please.
    GWEN

I haven't had any luck either with the census or the London school admissions. Any clues about birthdates or which census it was?

Comment

Are you sure it was ancestry. I have checked for both boys together and separately with or without father added and come up blank. If I enter no name and school name in the "other info" box, there's nothing at all.
      I have checked both usual London school registers and the Poor Board schools.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-08-17, 18:31.

Comment

Have just googled Duke of York school London and it leads me to a military school in Kent. Off to try censuses again.

Comment

Nope, still zilch. When was this? How old was he?

Comment

there was a Duke of York military School in Chelsea??

Comment

Yep Val, just back in from doggie walkies and had another go. Up till 1902 it was based in the Duke of York's Chelsea HQ. It was then called The Royal Military Asylum. Am still having no luck though. Could with some more vital stats from OP.

Comment

This is the Chelsea one but its not Duke of York School.Sorry can't link

1871 Census Ancestry

Frederick Knights
                Born 1861 East Indies
                Royal Military Asylums, Kings Road Chelsea
                Piece 78 Folio 89 Page 17page

Also on FMP

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 09-08-17, 22:58.

Comment

Darn it!! I never thought the Knight bit might be skewiff. I had all the variations of Frederick and Edward but left the surname as Knight. Well done Vera
                  Link for Frederick. Note another child born in East Indies a bit further down called Walter. There is no mention of their next of kin being their father Walter.
                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Edward is on previous page. Link is https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...G10_77_80-0405
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-08-17, 23:56.

Comment

you've reminded me Vera to look at Knights, instead of Knight ,has happened before as I am looking for a Knight tonight, with no luck thanks.

Comment

As Edward A. Knight was born in Portsea, this could be his birth.
                      KNIGHT, EDWARD AUGUSTUS mother's m.s. PARKMAN
                      GRO Reference: 1857 D Quarter in PORTSEA ISLAND Volume 02B Page 344
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-08-17, 01:06.

Comment

I was follwing yours Val and Galloway Lass' s Chelsea lead. Ancestry search now not so good at throwing up the additional possibles imo
                        Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 10-08-17, 01:12.

Comment

Thank you all so much and yes I forgot to say it was a military school and you found it anyway you are all awesome thanks again
                          GWEN

Comment

Working...
                          X