No announcement yet.

Searching for Pearce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cornwall OPC website is very active and every week more and more transcriptions reach the website. It is not just the parish registers that are transcribed, but all types of document. I have been transcribing many wills.

Re. the Whites - mine came from Guildford, right back into the 1600s. My 2x-great-grandparents William Edward White and Elizabeth his wife had a shop on the High Street where M&S now is. It was a Draper's and quite large with branches in Chertsey and Hastings. The shop in Guildford only closed in the 1960s. I remember it as a child.

Do your Whites go back a long way in the area?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

By the way, my avatar shows Elizabeth White, maiden name Stillwell, wife of William Edward White. She didn't die until 1932 and she was involved in the business after her husband's death.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth, I think your Whites were probably a more prosperous family than mine. Elizabeth White looks to be a very impressive lady. The earliest I have so far is John White born C1757 in Stoke D'Abernon, married to Jane Cook. Subsequent generations were Ag Labs. His grandson, William White, born 1824 in Ripley got 10 years for sheep stealing and was transported to Australia.

Comment

Working...
        X