Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Ohio death of Ellen (Nell) Hogan, Mrs Thomas Straughan, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Ohio death of Ellen (Nell) Hogan, Mrs Thomas Straughan, please.

Eleanor/Ellen/Nell Hogan was born in Newcastle upon Tyne on 5 Oct 1858 and bap 17 Oct at the RC church of St Mary N/Tyne. On 27 Apr 1878 she married Thomas Straughan at Blyth Congregational church and in 1881 they lived in Cowpen, Blyth, Northumberland, where Thomas worked as a miner. They had Frances (1878) William (1879) & John (1881/2) in Northumberland, before emigrating to Cleveland Ohio where they had Thomas c1885, Rosetta (1889) & Eleanor (Nellie) in 1891. The Ohio births were recorded as Straffen. Thomas, recorded as Straffere, died 6 April 1892 at the relatively young age of 34 and was buried at Cleveland.
    The eldest girl Frances was married as Straffin in February 1900 and in the census of that year she and her husband Alexander Tosh were recorded in Cleveland, and living with them were some of Fanny's younger siblings.

Can anyone discover what became of Mrs Straffen, Eleanor nee Hogan, last heard of producing the youngest child young Nell c 1891? Her elder brother William Hogan had also moved to Cleveland, but I can't find Nell with them in any census returns.

Thanks for reading.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-07-17, 20:54.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I suspect Jay has already explored familysearch, but just in case others are pondering, here's familysearch - Eleanor appears repeatedly in other peoples' records:

PM sent, but I haven't found anything for her.

Comment

It sure seems like she should have been in Ohio records if she had any events there. Were there any other relatives in the US that she could have gone to, or could she have returned to the UK?

Comment

There's a tree on Ancestry with her - they caught her in city directory, in 1895:

Here's a Straffen descendant list from her tree:

not having any more luck than that.

Comment

Thank you PhotoFamily for all your work on my behalf.

(PF came across a reference which seems to match with the death of Thomas [date and place wise] and refers to him leaving a wife and five children.)

To anyone else looking in, I have a cemetery record for Thomas (from familysearch) but no death cert, and nothing further for Ellen/Nell - no death cert, no second marriage. The children all grew up in Cleveland and I have full details of them in later life.
          No one researching the extended family seems to have any additional information about Nell nee Hogan. Unfortunately I can't access the 1895 city directory in the above post - can anyone tell me the address, please? Thomas was of 26 Herman St, Cleveland, Ohio when he died; in 1900 the children all lived in Detroit St, Frances & her husband Alexander Tosh married in Feb 1900.
          The four younger Straffen children were still in the Tosh household in 1910.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-07-17, 11:25.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It is the same address 26 Herman St. She is also there in the 1898 directory.

Have you tried getting an obituary for one of the children
            Karen

Comment

Thank you for that, Karen.
              I've got obits for some of the children. However, the first two to die (eldest and then youngest daughters)was not until 1941, by which time Eleanor would have been in her mid-80's.So I had not expected any reference to her to feature.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-07-17, 19:06.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Don't know if you've ever used the steve morris site. Theoretically, you can enter an address for the desired census year, and know which page(s) would cover your desired address.

I'm not having luck with the 1900/26 Herman St.

So, in modern times, Herman seems to have changed to an Avenue, and I'm not seeing any building numbers as low as 26. I'm wondering if there was a renumbering/realignment that might have gone on (Chicago did it, for instance). I'm also wondering if Cleveland condemned buildings for shore-front development.

It would help in using Steve Morris if we knew a cross street.

My thought was to see if we could find the house and its occupant(s) in 1900.

It's strange that your various peeps appear in the newspaper for a few things, but not others. Cleveland was already a sizeable city in 1900 (381,768 in the 1900 census). Small town newspapers often had a lot of personal, family details in their papers - bigger towns not so much. Why no obit/dc for Eleanor. Hmmph.

Comment

PF, once again many thanks for your efforts to track down my elusive Nellie.
                  I've done a bit of googling about Ohio death certs and it seems that not ALL for pre 1905 are online; it varies from county to county, so maybe I am just unlucky with both Thomas & his wife.:(
                  Similarly with cemetery records - some are still a work in progress, although I had expected to find one for Ellen/Nell in the same cemetery as her husband. Again, within any record set, some do get lost over time and others mis-indexed.
                  Did they have pauper burials in the USA? (I believe that in the UK there was not always a clear record kept of exactly who was interred in each mass grave?)
                  The thing that has always struck me about my "Irish" families is how they always stuck together and tried to help each other out, despite all the raw deals life threw at them. So, it seems very "odd" that Nell would have just disappeared, leaving behind all her children - if she had remarried, I would have expected at least the two youngest daughters to go with her.
                  I suppose she could have been unwell and have had to go into some kind of medical facility, so that in census returns her name was mis-recorded or omitted.
                  She features on one of the side branches of my tree so it is not the end of the world NOT to know what became of her. I'm just going to have to write up what I do have on her and hope that, in the years to come, someone else is finally able to lay her to rest.
                  Thanks again for your help and interest.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet ............

I can't help you, but find your problem so similar to mine except my "lost ones" are in New Jersey between ca 1841 and 1955/56 .........

My gr aunt married in 1902 and the couple sailed for Newark from Liverpool 3 days later.

I have them on all kinds of records until 1941. They never had children. Never moved from the area, always rented.

I know that Gt Aunt was still alive until 1955/56 because my mother used to receive regular letters from her and I can remember her getting one from a neighbour telling Mum that Gt Aunt had died

What I cannot find are any death records, SS information, electoral roll, etc after 1941

Good luck!!!

It is strange when records are really important in the US!
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia -
                      New Jersey is a difficult place to research. Oftentimes the key for US research is newspapers - and I don't think NJ papers have made it on line.
                      Do you know where they lived? Do you have Ancestry's US record access?
                      Send me a PM if you'd like me to nose around
                      Sarah

Comment

I've been trying to write up what I've found out about the Hogans, so that I can share it with a Canadian cousin. Whilst going through my files, I've come across a photo of three young women, labelled "Nell Strachan, Kit and Ella." (This was about 3 years ago and I was asked if I knew who they were - well I didn't know.)
                        Nell Strachan, Kit, Ella.jpg
                        Now I'm pretty sure this will have been Nell, daughter of Ellen nee Hogan and Thomas Straughan, rather than Ellen nee Hogan herself, as suggested by the owner of the photo.
                        Ellen Hogan had a brother William, who had daughters Catherine b 1880 and Rosella b 1892 - Kit & Ella?? - & Eleanor Straughan was born 1893 and was a cousin of the other two. "Nell" is holding aloft a banner bearing the words "La Porte". On New Year's Eve 1912 Ella was married in Cleveland to a man who worked for one of the telegraph companies and their first child was born in La Poste Indiana the following year. So I'm wondering if he was based in Indiana and was coming to Cleveland on a visit and the three girls are the reception committee? in which case, the photo is probably c 1912.

The other photo problem I was set is rather more tricky - Kit in middle age, standing outside one of a row of single storey dwellings, with the caption "Outside the old homestead." old homestead.jpg
                        Kit and her son came to England in 1925 I'm wondering if this is where she went sightseeing, about 40 years after this photo was taken
                        Cowpen whire Row.jpg

What do you reckon?

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 03-08-17, 23:12.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          ... I've come across a photo of three young women, labelled "Nell Strachan, Kit and Ella." (This was about 3 years ago and I was asked if I knew who they were - well I didn't know.)

Now I'm pretty sure this will have been Nell, daughter of Ellen nee Hogan and Thomas Straughan, rather than Ellen nee Hogan herself, as suggested by the owner of the photo.
                          Ellen Hogan had a brother William, who had daughters Catherine b 1880 and Rosella b 1892 - Kit & Ella?? - & Eleanor Straughan was born 1893 and was a cousin of the other two. "Nell" is holding aloft a banner bearing the words "La Porte". On New Year's Eve 1912 Ella was married in Cleveland to a man who worked for one of the telegraph companies and their first child was born in La Poste Indiana the following year. So I'm wondering if he was based in Indiana and was coming to Cleveland on a visit and the three girls are the reception committee? in which case, the photo is probably c 1912.
                          Or was Nell's husband from LaPorte? And they went to meet the future in-laws?

The other photo problem I was set is rather more tricky - Kit in middle age, standing outside one of a row of single storey dwellings, with the caption "Outside the old homestead."
                          But whose old homestead - from his side of the family? It was common for towns on the frontier to use homesteading to attract pioneers. Homestead is often used as a broad term, but it does have a specific meaning that might apply:

Sorry, no ideas on your last photo.

Interesting - my mother's paternal line were original pioneers to LaPorte

Comment

No, I don't think the homestead act can apply. It says that the act went into effect in the 1860s - LaPorte's pioneers were arriving in the 1820s. But I still think the term might have been used to indicate the home that was built in the early days of a town by a particular family.

BTW - LaPorte has an active historical society and museum, and they are genealogy-friendly. Archives of the local paper do exist, tho I don't think it's online. Wish it were.
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 04-08-17, 15:50.

Comment

Lovely pictures Jay. Having looked for Eleanor/Ellen/Nellie, I would say that was daughter Nellie. Looks like Summertme by the dresses. I did wonder if this was before Nellie married in 1911.

Is that a picture of the Straffen or Hogan homestead. The cottages of recent past have changed a lot in Ireland. Not sure the two homesteads are one and the same.

Have looked for Nellie b 1858 Straffen(Hogan) at 26 Hermann St/Avenue. She
                              is listed as being there in 1898. Although I can see Herman St from very low to high nos, including the extension, I cannot see 26 anywhere.

Do you have the death details I can see on Ancestry for Nellies husband who d 1892/3

PS Just noticed other posts. I thought the homestead was referring to Ireland.

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 04-08-17, 16:16.

Comment

PF, the photos have been handed down through generations of the Hogan family and the old homestead was in the UK, which Kit visited in 1925 and had the photo taken of herself. I must admit when I was sent the photo, I thought she'd been to Ireland, 1) because it looked like an Irish cottage 2) homestead suggested Irish small farm where the Hogan parents had originated,perhaps 3) the fresh white appearance of the cottages suggested rural rather than in close proximity to a coal mine.
                                As far as I know, Nell Staughan's husband came from Cleveland.

Sorry, vera, no not Ireland. Kit went to Northumberland, presumably to visit Sarah (Sally) the only Hogan sibling not to go to America. Sarah was Mrs Mather and spent all her married life at Cowpen, at the mouth of the river Blyth. Cowpen is where "White row" was situated and there would have been a time span of about 40/50 yrs between the photos, enough time for them to be spruced up. I have an even later picture of "White Row" (no date) with fenced in front gardens separating them from a footpath and road.
                                Yes, thank you, I have the cemetery records for the death of Thomas Straughan/Straffen and PF sent me a newspaper clipping about the family being in great hardship after his death. We never found a definitive death registration for Nell Hogan/Straughan though. PF also sent some clippings to show that Nell junior was taking part in various social activities in Cleveland, 1900 -1911.
                                Rosella giving birth to her first child in La Porte is the only reference I have to the place, apart from the banner in the photo. Her younger child was born (and later buried) in Cleveland as was her husband, who died of tuberculosis in a Cleveland hospital. Perhaps Ella worked at La Porte too before her marriage and was home on leave, or getting ready to go there? She was in the family home in 1910 working as a clerk in a dried goods shop; however, in 1917 she was a Telegraph operator. (Her husband was a telegraph clerk.)

Jay
                                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-08-17, 18:20.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

"Nell" is holding aloft a banner bearing the words "La Porte".
                                  And there's a large teddy bear in the picture. Could this be to celebrate the child's birth? Or a birthday? Or this is when family came to visit after the birth?

Anyone still have the bear?
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 04-08-17, 18:49.

Comment

The other photo problem I was set is rather more tricky - Kit in middle age, standing outside one of a row of single storey dwellings, with the caption "Outside the old homestead."
                                    Kit and her son came to England in 1925 I'm wondering if this is where she went sightseeing, about 40 years after this photo was taken
                                    Are you asking if the two buildings are the same? I don't think so, or at least not without a lot of reconstruction. The windows and doors are quite different
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 04-08-17, 18:49.

Comment

PF - Wow, I'd never even noticed the teddy bear, and I'm sitting in a roomful of the creatures!
                                      Thank you for that suggestion you could well be right! That would make a lot of sense if it was mother & baby coming home, because I've always been a bit concerned about the person on the right of the photo, labelled as Ella by the sender. From the other photos I've seen of Ella around this time she was more slender, but it's not a very clear picture and I'm wondering if it could have been Ella's younger sister, born 1899?? or even one of Nell Straughan's sisters?? I'm already waiting to see if I get a reply from the owner of the photo - If I do, I'll see if she can clarify. I believe she is a descendant of Ella, which is how she came to have the photo.

Yes, I did mean are the 2 buildings the same. (Taken from different ends of the row!) Here is a later picture of "White Row,"- found only this morning - where the houses look different again.

White Row 2.jpg

They were demolished a long time ago now.

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Really difficult to say - the doors and windows look like they're different sizes to me - smaller in the first photo. I wonder if there are any photos from the period that a historical society might have (or local library or such)?
                                        On the other hand, the perspectives are quite different in the two photos. Also, I'm not sure do the windows in the second photo have shutters that are open? Or are the windows really that large?
                                        Any building/construction experts on the forum?

Comment

Working...
                                        X