Is my old desk top dying? Advice, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my old desk top dying? Advice, please

I have an old desk top which runs XP. For security, I stopped using it for internet access. I do a lot of word processing and church accounts, plus photos and family history using earlier versions of programs that are not happy on later operating systems. Also I do prefer it to the laptop so would like to keep it going, if possible.
    Recently, it has chronically slowed down, programs open slowly and sometimes become “not responding”. Even my scanner is painfully slow.

Task manager indicates that the CPU usage is 100%, 99 of which is against svchost. As it is XP, I cannot right-click to display what this covers.

I do hope the old thing is not in its dying throes.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated, please.

Carol

If you don't connect to the internet with it, make sure you don't have any anti virus programs or similar running. They complain a lot and keep trying to connect!
    Anne

Comment

Thank you, Ann, for responding.

I did uninstall McAfee Security Centre. Even when the PC was running well, I found that used to slow it down rather when it wanted to scan.

I'm afraid it may be a lost cause :-(

Carol

Comment

this is for windows 7 and i dont understand a word of it but you may do - hope it helps.

you could try doing a system restore to say a month or so ago and see if that helps but please dont blame me if it mucks everything up.
        i would save what you have already in documents and photos onto a disc or other external drive just in case the machine croaks completely.
        Last edited by angelina; 14-07-17, 15:53.
        Angelina

Comment

Angelina,
          Thank you for pointing me to that article. On first look, I don't understand it, but will go through it carefully and try over the weekend.
          Yes, I will back up everything before making any risky moves.
          I would never blame anyone who was being helpful :-)
          Carol

Comment

it wont hurt to install and run ccleaner
            Download CCleaner for FREE. Clean your PC of temporary files, tracking cookies, browser junk and more! Get the latest version today.

and did you remove mcafee with the removal tool ?? was it preinstalled ?

Comment

Have you Googled svchost? There seems to be quite a bit about it. It may be something an offline computer doesn't need? We need an expert!! LOL
              Anne Edit to say .... Ooops looks like the link above is about this. I'm really wondering how much of all that is needed on an offline computer.
              Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 14-07-17, 21:29.

Comment

if you can install this and run each part it finds and sorts lots of problems

Comment

Hi Val,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I assume I could only run CCleaner if I downloaded directly to the desk top, which I can't now it's not online. I did run the internal disk clean-up, which said it was fine.

I had McAfee subscription on both desk top and laptop. Uninstalled it and went through all directories and folders and deleted everything McAfee. Also uninstalled programs I didn't use.

Just don't know enough about what else I can safely delete to ease burden on processor.

Carol

Comment

Hi again Anne,

You've put your finger on it! I just don't know what I can do without. Would happily strip it out, but ...

Appreciate the concern and help,

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      if you can install this and run each part it finds and sorts lots of problems
                      https://fix-it-center.en.softonic.com/
                      Val,
                      Can I download these through my laptop to a stick, and then run on the desk top?

Sorry to be so pathetic. I really am grateful to all of you trying to help.

Carol

Comment

yes you should be able to dont see why not good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          yes you should be able to dont see why not good luck
                          Hi Val,

Sorry to say, couldn't get the downloaded programs to run.

After a frustrating weekend, spending hours without anything to show, think I shall have to face the reality of looking to replace it.

In the next few days shall go through the files to make sure I've saved everything I want to keep, then decide which way to go.

Grateful for your support and that of the other FTF ladies who've tried to help.

Thanks again,
                          Carol

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

and again

Comment

Working...
                              X