Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ellen Decoursey

Ellen Decoursey

Searching for information on the Decoursey family of Poplar, in particular Ellen Decoursey, my great-great-grandmother. Ellen, born in 1875, married Robert Pratt in 1895 and lived in Harlington, Middlesex until her death in 1909. Am aware that she had two sisters, Kate and Polly, although Polly might have been called Margaret. Ellen had three known children with Robert Pratt, though it is rumoured they had 9.

If anyone could shed any light on the names of Ellen's parents or provide any other information I would be so grateful.

Kind regards

Hello Frank and welcome to FTF.

I am only seeing three children registered to Robert and Ellen but of course any stillbirths will not show up in the birth registers.

I will have a look for Ellen but have to go out soon. I expect someone else will be along to help in a bit!

OC

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Hello Frank and welcome to FTF.

I am only seeing three children registered to Robert and Ellen but of course any stillbirths will not show up in the birth registers.

I will have a look for Ellen but have to go out soon. I expect someone else will be along to help in a bit!

OC
    Thank you! We were always aware of them having two children, Catherine Ellen and Robert James. It was only yesterday that we discovered that they had a further son, William. The 1911 census does list Robert as having 9 children, hence our confusion as we were only aware of two!! We never knew for sure that Ellen Decoursey was definitely a relative, as the name had only been bandied around in our family for years. To find out she was my great-great-grandmother was quite a shock!

Had Robert been married before and counted all his children instead of the children of his current marriage as he should have done?

Quote Originally Posted by GallowayLass View Post
    Had Robert been married before and counted all his children instead of the children of his current marriage as he should have done?
    He was 22 when he married Ellen, so though it was possible for him to have been married before, it seems quite unlikely and I cannot find any trace of it. Him and Ellen married in 1895 and had their first child in 1904, 9 years wait to have children seems strange for that time period. He did remarry after Ellen's death, to Nellie Ayling in 1909. It is unknown whether they had any children together. Nellie Ayling's maiden name was Edwards, if that helps!

Could the 9 be a badly written 3?

Must go now!

OC

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Could the 9 be a badly written 3?

Must go now!

OC
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
    I think it is a badly written 3, asOC says. Compare it with the 3 in wife's age.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

1891 England Census, Goodliffe Street, Bromley, Kent.

Patrick Decoursey, head, widower, 45, stevedore, dock l, b. Ireland
    Polly, daughter, 20, b. Poplar
    Ellen, daughter, 18, b. Poplar
    Kate, daughter, 16, rope maker, b. Poplar
    Ellen Quinn, boarder, 22, matchmaker, b. Poplar

On Ellen's marriage certificate (5 Oct 1895) at the Parish Church in Harmonsworth, she's listed as 21, spinster, daughter of Patrick Decoursey, labourer.
    Groom Robert is 23, batchelor, labourer, son of James Pratt, labourer.

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
    1891 England Census, Goodliffe Street, Bromley, Kent.

Patrick Decoursey, head, widower, 45, stevedore, dock l, b. Ireland
    Polly, daughter, 20, b. Poplar
    Ellen, daughter, 18, b. Poplar
    Kate, daughter, 16, rope maker, b. Poplar
    Ellen Quinn, boarder, 22, matchmaker, b. Poplar

On Ellen's marriage certificate (5 Oct 1895) at the Parish Church in Harmonsworth, she's listed as 21, spinster, daughter of Patrick Decoursey, labourer.
    Groom Robert is 23, batchelor, labourer, son of James Pratt, labourer.

STG
    Thank you so much!!

If Ellen is the one b. Q4 1875 in Stepney Registration District, the indexes give her mother's maiden name as Regin.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.