No announcement yet.

Ellen Decoursey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, thank you very much. Nellie Ayling's maiden name was indeed Edwards. I am unsure as to whether the '1' means that she and Robert had a child together or that she counts Edith Ayling as the '1' child under this marriage.

Comment

I cannot see a birth for Kate/ Catherine/ Katherine etc with mother's maiden name Regan. Something funny going on!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        I cannot see a birth for Kate/ Catherine/ Katherine etc with mother's maiden name Regan. Something funny going on!

OC
        I can't find a birth at all for Polly aka Margaret or Ellen, but the birth record that I believe is correct for Kate lists her mother as Holland. Now, I cannot find a Patrick Decoursey marrying a Holland!

Comment

Lots of Poppies in my family and they were all Mary really. I found the birth of a Mary DeCoursey mmn Regan in 1874 I think, I didn't write it down I was in a rush! There was also an Elizabeth.

I am out all day tomorrow but will have a look in the evening if no one else has found it.

OC

Comment

Interesting... thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by frank1412 View Post
              Yes, thank you very much. Nellie Ayling's maiden name was indeed Edwards. I am unsure as to whether the '1' means that she and Robert had a child together or that she counts Edith Ayling as the '1' child under this marriage.

The number of children and years married shown on the 1911 Census were intended to be the number of children born to the MOTHER ........ that is why the number of years and children that Robert wrote down have been crossed out.

Thus Nellie is claiming ONLY Edith born 1901 as her one and only child.

Second marriages always create a little problem understanding this aspect of the 1911 as there is no way to indicate that it IS a second marriage ........ but the fact that Nellie's child is shown as Edith Ayling shows that she was Nellie's child from before the marriage to Robert.
              Last edited by Sylvia C; 10-07-17, 01:33.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Posting this just because it came up as I was searching...............

Robert was married to Nellie Ayling as Robert James, so I think this is his baptism, with parents' names

England, Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Robert James Pratt baptised 29 Jun 1873, Harmondsworth, London
                Father James Pratt
                Mother Elizabeth
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                  The number of children and years married shown on the 1911 Census were intended to be the number of children born to the MOTHER ........ that is why the number of years and children that Robert wrote down have been crossed out.

Thus Nellie is claiming ONLY Edith born 1901 as her one and only child.

Second marriages always create a little problem understanding this aspect of the 1911 as there is no way to indicate that it IS a second marriage ........ but the fact that Nellie's child is shown as Edith Ayling shows that she was Nellie's child from before the marriage to Robert.
                  Thank you! I think it must have been misunderstood at the time because Robert had filled it out with details of his last marriage and not his present one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                    Posting this just because it came up as I was searching...............

Robert was married to Nellie Ayling as Robert James, so I think this is his baptism, with parents' names

England, Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

Robert James Pratt baptised 29 Jun 1873, Harmondsworth, London
                    Father James Pratt
                    Mother Elizabeth
                    Thank you! Would expect that this is correct as my great-grandfather's name was Robert James too.

Comment

On a side note, I wonder if anyone could help me with a further question I have regarding Robert James Pratt. He supposedly married three times, however I have only ever found two of the marriages, one to Ellen Decoursey and one to Ellen Edwards. Can anyone find another marriage for him? If he did marry again would have been between 1919 and 1927 in the reg. district of Staines or Brentford. Many thanks.

Comment

There's this marriage in Staines district, Q4 1920 district number 3a page 49
                        Robert J PRATT
                        Jane A NEWMAN

Not sure why you haven't been able to find it as it is indexed on the free site www.freebmd.org.uk
                        Last edited by JudithM; 10-07-17, 12:06.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                          There's this marriage in Staines district, Q4 1920 district number 3a page 49
                          Robert J PRATT
                          Jane A NEWMAN

Not sure why you haven't been able to find it as it is indexed on the free site www.freebmd.org.uk
                          Thank you! I haven't heard of freebmd before, but now know to use it in future.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                            If Ellen is the one b. Q4 1875 in Stepney Registration District, the indexes give her mother's maiden name as Regin.
                            As the age of Ellen daughter of Patrick on censuses is consistent 18 in 1891 and 28 in 1901, and she had a younger sister aged 16 shown on 1891 census I think she is lesslikely to be the Ellen born in 1875, though I'm blowed if I can find a more likely birth for her in or around 1873.

There's a marriage of Patrick CORSEY in Poplar, Q4 1869 one of the possible spouse names being Catherine WELLYAN which may be worth pursuing?
                            UPDATE Have just found birth reg of Ellen COURSEY Poplar, Q1 1873
                            Last edited by JudithM; 10-07-17, 13:06.

Comment

Hmm! That 1873 Ellen birth gives mother's maiden name as Holland Could Wellyan and Holland look enough alike in any handwriting style to be the same person?

Comment

Isn't it possible that Patrick and Miss Holland married in Ireland? Frank did mention that the birth that he though fit Kate has mmn Holland too.
                                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-07-17, 14:03.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                  Hmm! That 1873 Ellen birth gives mother's maiden name as Holland Could Wellyan and Holland look enough alike in any handwriting style to be the same person?
                                  This does fit with an earlier discovery that Kate's mother's maiden name was Holland!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Isn't it possible that Patrick and Miss Holland married in Ireland? Frank did mention that the birth that he though fit Kate has mmn Holland too.
                                    I think a marriage in Ireland is most likely, yes.

Comment

What surname did you find the likely birth of Kate under please? I can't find anything that fits.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                        What surname did you find the likely birth of Kate under please? I can't find anything that fits.
                                        There is a birth of a Kate D'Coursey in 1875 in Poplar with the mother's maiden name of Holland.

Comment

Working...
                                        X