Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84

Thread: Ellen Decoursey

  1. #21
    Yes, thank you very much. Nellie Ayling's maiden name was indeed Edwards. I am unsure as to whether the '1' means that she and Robert had a child together or that she counts Edith Ayling as the '1' child under this marriage.

  2. #22
    I cannot see a birth for Kate/ Catherine/ Katherine etc with mother's maiden name Regan. Something funny going on!

    OC

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    I cannot see a birth for Kate/ Catherine/ Katherine etc with mother's maiden name Regan. Something funny going on!

    OC
    I can't find a birth at all for Polly aka Margaret or Ellen, but the birth record that I believe is correct for Kate lists her mother as Holland. Now, I cannot find a Patrick Decoursey marrying a Holland!

  4. #24
    Lots of Poppies in my family and they were all Mary really. I found the birth of a Mary DeCoursey mmn Regan in 1874 I think, I didn't write it down I was in a rush! There was also an Elizabeth.

    I am out all day tomorrow but will have a look in the evening if no one else has found it.

    OC

  5. #25
    Interesting... thank you!!

  6. #26
    Member Sylvia C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,164
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1412 View Post
    Yes, thank you very much. Nellie Ayling's maiden name was indeed Edwards. I am unsure as to whether the '1' means that she and Robert had a child together or that she counts Edith Ayling as the '1' child under this marriage.

    The number of children and years married shown on the 1911 Census were intended to be the number of children born to the MOTHER ........ that is why the number of years and children that Robert wrote down have been crossed out.

    Thus Nellie is claiming ONLY Edith born 1901 as her one and only child.

    Second marriages always create a little problem understanding this aspect of the 1911 as there is no way to indicate that it IS a second marriage ........ but the fact that Nellie's child is shown as Edith Ayling shows that she was Nellie's child from before the marriage to Robert.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 10-07-17 at 01:33.
    My avatar is my mother and her mother, Scarborough ca 1925-1930.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

  7. #27
    Member Sylvia C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,164
    Posting this just because it came up as I was searching...............

    Robert was married to Nellie Ayling as Robert James, so I think this is his baptism, with parents' names


    England, Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

    Robert James Pratt baptised 29 Jun 1873, Harmondsworth, London
    Father James Pratt
    Mother Elizabeth
    My avatar is my mother and her mother, Scarborough ca 1925-1930.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia C View Post
    The number of children and years married shown on the 1911 Census were intended to be the number of children born to the MOTHER ........ that is why the number of years and children that Robert wrote down have been crossed out.

    Thus Nellie is claiming ONLY Edith born 1901 as her one and only child.

    Second marriages always create a little problem understanding this aspect of the 1911 as there is no way to indicate that it IS a second marriage ........ but the fact that Nellie's child is shown as Edith Ayling shows that she was Nellie's child from before the marriage to Robert.
    Thank you! I think it must have been misunderstood at the time because Robert had filled it out with details of his last marriage and not his present one.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia C View Post
    Posting this just because it came up as I was searching...............

    Robert was married to Nellie Ayling as Robert James, so I think this is his baptism, with parents' names


    England, Births & Baptisms 1538-1975

    Robert James Pratt baptised 29 Jun 1873, Harmondsworth, London
    Father James Pratt
    Mother Elizabeth
    Thank you! Would expect that this is correct as my great-grandfather's name was Robert James too.

  10. #30
    On a side note, I wonder if anyone could help me with a further question I have regarding Robert James Pratt. He supposedly married three times, however I have only ever found two of the marriages, one to Ellen Decoursey and one to Ellen Edwards. Can anyone find another marriage for him? If he did marry again would have been between 1919 and 1927 in the reg. district of Staines or Brentford. Many thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •