Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplication in 1881 Census????

What does anyone make of this?

Following Robert WELCH b Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset about 1816 through the 19th century to see if he links to my tree (probably not!), but the links were fascinating so I carried on anyway! Well, up to a point!!

Spelling of surname varies Welch/Welsh, although usually Welch. Age not entirely consistent, but close enough.

Marries Leah Pope, who dies in 1863. So in 1871 Census he is a widower. All through (ie 1841-71), he is a blacksmith and lives in Drayton, Somerset.

But the 1881 Census has two folk called Robert Welch living in Drayton, one b1812 the other b1815, both married to an Emma born in North Curry and both are Blacksmiths. One couple has an adult son at home the other does not.

Both the 1871 and 1891 Censuses only have one RW in Drayton (the 1891 entry is just a couple, RW+Emma). BMD records just one Robert Welch+Emma marriage in 1870-80 in Somerset (Emma Smith, Taunton, 1873). Wikipedia says the 2011 population was only 379, so it seems unlikely the village would have supported two smiths, let alone two with the same name!

So have Robert and Emma somehow been recorded twice in 1881?

To date, I have only encountered duplication of individuals who have been recorded as if they were at home when they were (presumably) actually visiting away from home, or working elsewhere as a servant. So this would be a first. Has anyone come across anything like this?

It is possible that he was recorded twice.

The census was not always filled out on the date indicated, but a day or two earlier when whoever filled it in thought that so-and-so would be with them.

What about the address for your RWs? Is there any difference?

I wouldn't expect there to be more than 1 Smithy in the village for example.

Also, remember that the ages of people back then were recorded in number of years. The modern day transcriber had to translate age in years to birth year, and that can always be at least 1 year out, depending on when the census was taken vs the person's birth date. If someone else filled in the census it's quite common for them not to know the exact age but to guess

BTW ........... just a reminder in case you didn't know.

Enumerators in 1841 were supposed to record ages to the nearest 5. Not all did, so there are anomalies. But it means that you have to remember that someone born in 1813 should show as born in 1811.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 06-06-17, 17:00.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Have you checked to see who lived either side of both of them? If they both have the same neighbours then it's a duplicate entry.

OC

Comment

Where did you find the two entries for Robert and Emma? I searched on Ancestry and found the one with grown up son indexed, but no other. Having looked at the image of the actual page I then searched forward and back through all the households in Drayton and though there was another blacksmith with the surname Welch, - probably another son - there were no more entries for Robert and Emma.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have the same situation on 1851 census, a Francis at one address with his parents and on another with his future mother in law.

I can only see Robert Welch born in Shepton Mallet, plus Emma and William on one census on fmp. The other blacksmith is a Joseph b 1856 - no Emma
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

SOLVED.....
            Much to my embarrassment.....
            I had failed to notice that I had been looking at both the 1881 and 1891 Censuses at the same time. Between the two, RW only appears to age by 7 years. I would say it was dementia setting in, but I think it was the earlier record which is at fault. I find it unhelpful that findmypast calculates a birth year for you and then presents it as if it was actually transcribed.

Maybe it is dementia on my part?

Did I say I had been confused by looking at two Census records at the same time.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
              I have the same situation on 1851 census, a Francis at one address with his parents and on another with his future mother in law.

I can only see Robert Welch born in Shepton Mallet, plus Emma and William on one census on fmp. The other blacksmith is a Joseph b 1856 - no Emma
              Joseph is Robert's son - presumably they worked together. As for Shepton Mallet, I expect Robert just said (or wrote) Shepton and the enumerator assumed Mallet. I haven't looked into it, but it is possible the enumerator was from SM and had forgotten that there was another Shepton much closer to Drayton. From other censuses, SB has the vote.
              Last edited by col48; 07-06-17, 10:08. Reason: additional note

Comment

Working...
              X