Virus emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus emergency

hi everyone, need some help. I have windows 10 and microsoft had a huge update today. Afterwards some things had changed and as I'm not very computer literate i just ignore most of it!

however, i got a warning that my computer was infected by a virus (while on facebook and after i had visited a page) and to contact microsoft to remove the virus.

So far i haven't contacted microsoft (nearly 11pm over here) but i don't seem to be able to run a scan using AVG - it just won't give me that option but tells me all is ok.
    I looked at Windows and activated Defender but it tells me everything is ok also. THEN I keep getting a pop-up that tells me both AVG and Defender are turned off and to turn them on!

Very frustrated.

is there a free and safe site where I could download another program to check if the computer is infected or not?

Thank you - I'll be around for the next 30 mins but then will have to go to bed.

sounds dodgy to me I certainly would not go to microsoft, but then thats me being ultra cautious, have you tried logging off the pc then back on

Comment

yes Val - and also downloading AVG and reinstalling it.

Must go to bed as my eyes are hanging out.

Will check in here as soon as I get up tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Comment

what about doing a restore to before the updates ?

Comment

Good morning, that is a thought Val but I would prefer to be able to run an independent virus check first to make sure that I don't import a virus into the restored version.
          (the updated version seemed to be working OK before I clicked on the FB Ad. :()

I'm afraid my computer knowledge of windows 10 is very limited as I came straight from XP!

Comment

gawd thats worse than me I came from vista and am finding it hard going.
            you could install something like AVG or Avast and run that to see if anything is found.

Last edited by Guest; 30-05-17, 00:33.

Comment

You could also try downloading and running Malwarebytes. It is quite good at picking up things others miss.

Comment

DO NOT CONTACT MICROSOFT VIA THE DETAILS YOU ARE SEEING ON SCREEN - IT IS A SCAM!

You have been infected by a virus!

As you are not very confident with Windows 10 I would suggest taking your computer to a local shop and getting them to clean up the infection. You will have to pay, but it is probably worth it for the peace of mind.
                Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks Pete, I suspected as much. Fortunately the computer is moderately portable. I will ring up someone tomorrow and see if they can deal with it.

Will get out my old notebook, see if it works, and use that from now on.

Comment

Working...
                  X