Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irish ancestor help

Hi,

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with an irish ancestor (well think he is). A lady who I share 2nd great grandparents with (are her great aunt/uncle) has asked if I have found any information linked Gardiner/Gardner Jackson. He is apparently a brother of my 2 g grandmother. I have found a death for him in 1913 that has birth year listed as 1846.

The family have births and baptisms in both Kilmore and rathvilly ireland (not near each other), Gardiners death is in downpatrick. The only other information is on an ancestry message board where he is named linked to his (?)fathers will - this father is named Thomas and does match with the fact 2nd gg is listed as well and her father is Thomas (from marriage cert).

I am hoping to find a birth or baptism for him in order to confirm that he has same parentage of my 2nd gg. So if anyone can help me out that would be great.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Also 1 of 2nd gg children were called gardiner so this would also link in. But I would like confirmation before I add him.

Comment

If he died in Ireland have you checked the Irish 1901 and 1911 Census through Dublin National Arcives, free to browse online?

Janet

Comment

Website for NA Ireland Census below

Janet

Comment

I couldn't find him in 1901 but in 1911 this is the one that fits age wise -
          1911 - Gardner Jackson in Derryboy – Crossgar – County Down – age 62 – Male – Farmer – Presbyterian – Can read and write – Head of Family – Widower – Married 30 years
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            I couldn't find him in 1901 but in 1911 this is the one that fits age wise -
            1911 - Gardner Jackson in Derryboy – Crossgar – County Down – age 62 – Male – Farmer – Presbyterian – Can read and write – Head of Family – Widower – Married 30 years
            yes thats him, same place as on 1901 census. Have found 2 marriages on family search and a death for 1st wife. but still no baptism. I have them for other siblings.

Comment

Here's the image for his second marriage to Ellen Martin in 1889 which gives his father's name as Thomas Jackson.
              Images aren't yet available for pre1881 marriages, although they are apparently working on it.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Gardener’s birth is long before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864) so you won’t get a birth certificate. You may find his baptism. He appears to have been Presbyterian. Some Presbyterian records are on-line but many are not.

The 1889 marriage certificate says he was farming in Barnamaghery, in the parish of Kilmore. He appears to have acquired his father’s farm and so was probably born there. (And the censuses give his place of birth as Co. Down). There are 3 Presbyterian churches in that area. Rademon Non subscribing Presbyterian church has baptism records which start in 1830; Kilmore has records for just 3 years 1833-5. Presumably later records are lost. Lissara Presbyterian church has records from 1809 onwards. Copies of these records are held in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them.

Griffiths Valuation shows Thomas Jackson farming plot 36a in Barnamaghery (parish of Kilmore) in 1863. That was a farm, flax mill, outbuildings and 25 acres of land. It remained in his name till 1883 when Gardner replaced him. Though he appears to have died in 1876. (Griffiths were sometimes a bit slow in updating their records).

Probate abstract from PRONI wills site:

The Will of Thomas Jackson late of Barnemaghery County Down Farmer deceased who died 31 December 1876 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of John Coulter of Killinchy Woods (Derryboy) Farmer and William Campbell senior of Barnemaghery (Saintfield) Bailiff both in same County the Executors.

The will is on-line on the PRONI wills site and mentions Gardner, his brother Frances and a (presumably) married sister Margaret McConnell.

Gardner left Barnamaghery in 1892 and was replaced by Robert Morrison.

A searchable place name index linking to digitised images of Valuation Revision Books covering counties Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone between the years 1864 to 1933.

The tithe applotment records for 1833 show 3 Jackson farms in Barnamaghery, occupied by James, Martin & William. I’d suspect one of them may be Thomas’s father.

Last edited by Elwyn; 22-04-17, 23:42.
                Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Addition to previous post: I note from the 1911 census that Gardner had an elder sister Margaret born c 1840 in England. If her age is accurate, then that would suggest she should have a birth certificate, and so you may get both her parents names from that. Might be helpful.
                  Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

If you look in https://familysearch.org/search/ just putting his name and Ireland, you can see his marriages etc.
                    Joy

Comment

thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Hi there, (this is my first post). I'm not sure what information you are looking for, but I may be of some assistance.

I am a X2 Great Grandson of Gardiner Jackson, and continue to reside in Derryboy. Gardiner is still a name in the Jackson family.

Fire away with any questions.

Comment

Hi Sterling and welcome to FTF
                          Amy hasn't been on for quite a while. So may I suggest that you send her a Private Message by clicking on her name and you will see the box come up.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi,
                            I'm Back!!! something told me the other night to google Gardiner Jackson again (not done so in ages!) and i came across this post and replies. It has taken me days to get back into the site due to password problems.

thanks to chrissie for letting stirling know ive not been on ages.
                            Stirling - I have replied to your message and i wait your reply, I am so happy that there is still living relatives on the line that maybe able to help me etc.

Comment

Nice to see you back, Amy.
                              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                                Hi,
                                I'm Back!!! something told me the other night to google Gardiner Jackson again (not done so in ages!) and i came across this post and replies. It has taken me days to get back into the site due to password problems.

thanks to chrissie for letting stirling know ive not been on ages.
                                Stirling - I have replied to your message and i wait your reply, I am so happy that there is still living relatives on the line that maybe able to help me etc.
                                perhaps it might be time to subscribe to your threads then? :smilee: [that way you get notifications when someone replies]
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  perhaps it might be time to subscribe to your threads then? :smilee: [that way you get notifications when someone replies]
                                  how do i do that?

Comment

how do i do that?
                                    click 'settings' top right near your username.. it's in there :smilee: great to see you btw x
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

how do i do that?
                                      In your thread go to 'Thread Tools' at the top of the posts - select subscribe and say how you want to be notified.
                                      Margaret

Comment

to those that have helped/replied, stirling has seen my reply and message to him and has been in contact with me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X