new to genealogy need a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to genealogy need a little help

I am really interested in learning about my family history, and I interviewed my Grandfather and learned a little bit about his life. But I am confused about using censuses to do research. On familysearch.com I found a 1940 census record and it shows my great grandfather's info- the head of house, wife, etc. But people have been telling me to use that census information to trace down my family further. How do you use a census record to trace back further and gather information about great-great grandfathers and great-great-grandmothers, for example?

Thank you!

Hello paigemeyner and welcome to FTF

I’m rather confused by your post. There isn’t a 1940 census, so I’m not sure what you have been looking at. The census available are 1841 – 1851 – 1861 – 1871 – 1881 – 1891 – 1901 and 1911. There is also the 1939 Register. These are available on sites like Ancestry, Find My Past etc.

The way to start is by working backwards from what you are certain of. We could try to help if we had some names etc, but please remember that our T&C’s don’t allow the names of anyone living, or who may still be alive to be posted.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by paigemeyner View Post
      I am really interested in learning about my family history, and I interviewed my Grandfather and learned a little bit about his life. But I am confused about using censuses to do research. On familysearch.com I found a 1940 census record and it shows my great grandfather's info- the head of house, wife, etc. But people have been telling me to use that census information to trace down my family further. How do you use a census record to trace back further and gather information about great-great grandfathers and great-great-grandmothers, for example?

Thank you!
      Are you in the USA or the UK?

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Must be the US ...... there is a 1940 Census for there.

Hint ............ see if you can access the 1930 Census, find your gr grandfather on there. Note his children, names, birthdates and places, and then try to find a previous census

You can also find draft information for both WW1 and WW2.

Family Search is good and it is free, but you might need to take out a membership in ancestry.com or in FindMyPast worldwide
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I am from the U.S. and my great-grandfather is Gustave Meyner. I found the census on familysearch.org. It is a 1940 census. How do you find earlier censuses online?

Thanks for your help

Comment

As Sylvia mentioned, a sub to Ancestry or FindmyPast will give you online access to the various censuses. In the UK and in Australia, our public libraries frequently have subs to one or the other and their patrons can access them free of charge. Not sure if the USA has the same system....you could enquire at your local public library.

Once you have located the person of interest on one census, take note of birth dates, place of birth, other household members and their relationship to the head of the household and use that information to search earlier censuses. Depending on where your family was living in the USA, you will have access to State as well as Federal censuses....and I have noticed some States also have online data about births, deaths, burials and marriages. Don't forget to look at newspaper archives....some of these are online as well.
            Last edited by Macbev; 12-04-17, 01:44.

Beverley

Comment

Just to give you an idea of census returms, I put your family name in

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

lots of results without knowing details but at least you will be able to see various records to get an idea of what is available
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

OK. Thank you for all your help!

CHristen

Comment

I found a 1930 census with information on Gustave Meyner- head of house, birthdates, names of sons and daughters, etc. on familysearch.org. I also managed to find a family tree online from the same site. Say I wanted to find an earlier census, though, with the information I have from the 1930 census. Can you give me an example of how you would use information from the 1930 census I have to find an even earlier census?

I really, really appreciate it your help.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Thank you

Comment

If you post his details...birth etc that you know, we could have a look for you and help you with searching.

Ideally, could you post the household you found 1930 on familysearch
                    Last edited by Elaine; 19-04-17, 19:49.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by paigemeyner View Post
                      I found a 1930 census with information on Gustave Meyner- head of house, birthdates, names of sons and daughters, etc. on familysearch.org. I also managed to find a family tree online from the same site. Say I wanted to find an earlier census, though, with the information I have from the 1930 census. Can you give me an example of how you would use information from the 1930 census I have to find an even earlier census?

I really, really appreciate it your help.

Thank you
                      If you just scroll down the list of results you have they are showing earlier census records. Look at everything on the page.

If you go to another website for searching for example ancestry - type in what you know but keep it brief ie name, year and place of birth and you will be shown what records are held for that information.

You need to start recording what you find on a family tree and using ancestry is ideal for this because it will then show you hints for other records that might relate to your people. You need to check the hints carefully to make sure they do refer to the person you are interested in.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X