Help finding information on Jane Langstroth b 1809 Ireby, Westmorland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding information on Jane Langstroth b 1809 Ireby, Westmorland

I'd be grateful if anyone can help me find information about the parentage and birth of my 3rd great grandmother, Jane (or Jeannie) Langstroth (possibly also Longstreth, Longstroph). Place of birth according to 1851 and 1861 census was Ireby. Jane married Moses Robinson (b1802, wennington) in 1831 in Orton, Westmorland aged 22. Moses and Jane had 7 daughters and one son. The family lived in Leck, Lancashire until sometime between 1852 and 1861, when they moved to Walmersley cum Shuttleworth, where the family found work in the cotton mills.

Moses came from a well to do farming family, but was only ever a farm labourer himself, and I wonder if his family disowned him for some reason. Any help very gratefully received!

[QUOTE=Kim Lester Whittle;2599444]I'd be grateful if anyone can help me find information about the parentage and birth of my 3rd great grandmother, Jane (or Jeannie) Langstroth (possibly also Longstreth, Longstroph). Place of birth according to 1851 and 1861 census was Ireby. Jane married Moses Robinson (b1802, wennington) in 1831 in Orton, Westmorland aged 22. Moses and Jane had 7 daughters and one son. The family lived in Leck, Lancashire until sometime between 1852 and 1861, when they moved to Walmersley cum Shuttleworth, where the family found work in the cotton mills.

Moses came from a well to do farming family, but was only ever a farm labourer himself, and I wonder if his family disowned him for some reason. Any help very gratefully received![/QUOTE]

Most farmers were tenants, renting from a local large landowner rather than owners of their own farm. A tenancy was often for 3 or 5 "lifetimes" (depending on the county) and usually passed from father to eldest son. The farm wasn't usually profitable enough to support several families and so younger sons tried to perhaps rent their own farm, or had to resort to labouring for another farmer. Farming underwent lots of changes in the Victorian era and many farm labourers swapped country life for industrial work in the towns and cities, where the pay was higher. I think your relative may have changed occupations due to economic reasons, rather than having been disowned.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think you'll find Ireby was in Cumberland? I can pay a visit to the Carlisle Archives for you if you like. There's not very much on line for Cumberland parishes.
      Anne
      Edit ..... Sorry I just noticed there is an Ireby in Lancashire near Leck. Strange they married in Orton then?
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 10-03-17, 22:49.

Comment

FreeReg has a baptism of Jenny Langstroth in Thornton in Lonsdale (West Yorkshire) in May 1808, born 8th April 1808. Parents Christopher and Margaret. Christopher was a linen weaver. Place of abode Ireby

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.
        Jackie

Comment

There is a Christopher Langstroth in Tatham, Lancashire in 1841 with wife Margaret. Also living with them, amongst others, is Jenny Robinson and 2 children

Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
            There is a Christopher Langstroth in Tatham, Lancashire in 1841 with wife Margaret. Also living with them, amongst others, is Jenny Robinson and 2 children

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...&usePUBJs=true
            Hi Jackie and Kim,
            I'd found that one on FMP. The two children are Miriham (sic) aged 8 and Nathan aged 1.
            From Gro indexes for Nathan:

ROBINSON, NATHAN Mother's maiden name: LANGSTRETH
            GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in KENDAL UNION

Miriam predates civil registration but LAN-OPC has this baptism:
            Baptism: 17 Feb 1833 St John the Baptist, Tunstall, Lancashire, England
            Miriam Robinson - Dau of Moses Robinson & Jane
            Abode: Leck
            Baptised by: E.Thurtell, P.Curate
            Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1846, Page 62, Entry 492
            Source: LDS Film 1517648

Although relationships not recorded on the 1841 census, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Christopher Langstroth is Jane/Jenny's father.

I think this is him on findagrave - the same Ivah, Tatham detail as 1841. He's the only one who has been transcribed but look at the gravestone photo for more family. https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Rid=176429840&

Frustratingly, right at the bottom of the gravestone, there is a mention of a daughter Jane who died aged 56 but the year is obscured.

Jane Langstroth Robinson is buried in Ramsbottom with Moses and was approx 56 when she died in 1864

There are further links for Moses and then for his parents and siblings, plus one child of Moses and Jane. Interestingly, the contributor is says that Moses and Jane are his 3G uncle and aunt, so it may be worth getting in touch if you aren't already.

Back to Christopher Langstroth - this could be his baptism and marriage banns via LAN-OPC. (Not 100% certain as it's pretty late and I'm heading for bed now, plus there may be more than one Christopher Langstroth knocking about in the area:
            Baptism: 15 Jun 1777 Church of the Good Shepherd, Tatham Fells, Lancashire, England
            Christopher Langstroth - Son of John Langstroth
            Abode: Herdses
            Source: LDS Film 1544766

Banns: St John the Baptist, Tunstall, Lancashire, England
            Christopher Langstreth - Leck in this Parish
            Margaret King - the Parish of Lancaster
            First Reading: 7 Aug 1803; Read By: Frederick Needham, Vicar
            Second Reading: 14 Aug 1803; Read By: Frederick Needham, Vicar
            Third Reading: 21 Aug 1803; Read By: Frederick Needham, Vicar
            Register: Marriages 1754 - 1812, Page 52, Entry 209
            Source: LDS Film 1517648

Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 11-03-17, 01:39.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I think this will would be worth a look if you can get to Lancashire Archives - assuming 1848 was when it was drawn up, not the date of death:
              The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

This might be Jane's sister

First name(s) Agnes
                Last name Langstroth
                Gender Female
                Birth year 1807
                Birth place -
                Baptism year 1808
                Baptism date 28 Feb 1808
                Place Tatham Fells
                County Lancashire
                Country England
                Father's first name(s) Christopher
                Father's last name Langstroth
                Mother's first name(s) Peggy

Freereg has several baptisms for children of Christopher Langstroth and wife Margaret .... baptised in West Riding of Yorkshire ...............

the area is the one where some of OH's ancestors were baptised etc, and they did the same as this Langstroth family did ............ move backwards and forwards across the borders of Yorkshire, Lancashire and Westmorland. it's that funny little area in the Kendal / Gargrave area where all 3 counties meet.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

This is strange ......... from ancestry

Lancashire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936

Name: Margaret King
                  Event Type: Marriage
                  Event Date: 1 Mar 1803
                  Parish: Tunstall, Lancashire, England
                  Spouse: Christopher Langstrett
                  Register Type: Bishop's Transcript

from image:-
                  date March 17
                  Banns were published on Sunday 7, 14 and 21 of August

then .........

Name: Margaret King
                  Event Type: Marriage
                  Event Date: 28 Aug 1803
                  Parish: Lancaster, St Mary, Lancashire, England
                  Spouse: Christopher Longstreeth
                  Register Type: Parish Register

from the image:-

Christopher of the Parish of Tunstall (and a word I cannot read)
                  Margaret of Scotforth in this Parish, Spinster

Witnesses:- John Longstoth's mark (sic) and Margaret Holand (??)
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you so much - and I think that you are spot on with this. I guess Moses was just much less lucky than his brothers.

Comment

Thanks - yes I'm certain it's the Ireby near Leck, but I can't make out why the marriage was in Orton either. Thank you for your offer to check out the Archives - but I think I need understand more about the place of marriage, if I'm not to waste your time. I'll check it further before I take you up on your kind offer.

Comment

Dear Christine and Jackie

i couldn't leave this alone yesterday, and I too found Jenny with Christopher
                        langstreth in the 1841 census (it was quite a breakthrough!) at the farm Ivah. However, Christopher Longstreth the linen weaver deserves more examination - it seems a big leap from linen weaver to farmer of 350 acres.

Thanks for for your help and links, I'll check them out.

Kim

Comment

Sylvia - thanks, I'll search for Agnes in ancestry. Yes, it's confusing that they Turn up variously in Lancashire, Westmorland and Yorkshire - and searching OPC records is more difficult for this!

Comment

Thanks again Sylvia - I wonder why? I'll try to look more into this...

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                              This might be Jane's sister

First name(s) Agnes
                              Last name Langstroth
                              Gender Female
                              Birth year 1807
                              Birth place -
                              Baptism year 1808
                              Baptism date 28 Feb 1808
                              Place Tatham Fells
                              County Lancashire
                              Country England
                              Father's first name(s) Christopher
                              Father's last name Langstroth
                              Mother's first name(s) Peggy

Freereg has several baptisms for children of Christopher Langstroth and wife Margaret .... baptised in West Riding of Yorkshire ...............

the area is the one where some of OH's ancestors were baptised etc, and they did the same as this Langstroth family did ............ move backwards and forwards across the borders of Yorkshire, Lancashire and Westmorland. it's that funny little area in the Kendal / Gargrave area where all 3 counties meet.
                              Hmmmmm - think we need to be careful re possible children as there is also a Christopher Langstroth who marries a Peggy as below from LAN-OPC
                              Marriage: 7 Feb 1807 St Wilfrid, Melling in Lonsdale, Lancashire, England
                              Christopher Langstroth - the parish of Tatham
                              Peggy Holme - Spinster, this parish
                              Witness: Francis Holme; Jane Ellershaw
                              Married by Licence by: John Tatham, Vicar
                              Notes: [groom's occupation not entered]
                              Register: Marriages 1787 - 1812, Page 65, Entry 823
                              Source : LDS Film 1849660

I'm out all day today so won't have time to go through assorted Christopher-Margaret children and Christopher-Peggy children to try and disentangle them and be sure which family "our" Jane Langstroth comes from...
                              As Kim says, it might be worth tracking occupations too - not that the above marriage is any help there...

Christine
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 11-03-17, 08:39.
                              Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Lester Whittle View Post
                                Dear Christine and Jackie

i couldn't leave this alone yesterday, and I too found Jenny with Christopher
                                langstreth in the 1841 census (it was quite a breakthrough!) at the farm Ivah. However, Christopher Longstreth the linen weaver deserves more examination - it seems a big leap from linen weaver to farmer of 350 acres.

Thanks for for your help and links, I'll check them out.

Kim
                                Kim,
                                Have I missed something - where are you getting the info that Christopher Longstreth ending up farming 350 acres?

Christine
                                Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                                  Kim,
                                  Have I missed something - where are you getting the info that Christopher Longstreth ending up farming 350 acres?

Christine
                                  Oh I see its from following that same 1841 family through to 1851 where it says that he farms 350 acres.. Sorry can't post ancestry link but here's the FMP link.

Incidentally, did you notice there is a granddaughter Alice Robinson aged 14 with them, born Sedbergh Yorkshire c1837?

Christine
                                  Researching:

Comment

Almost all my Lancashire farmers - and I have many - were weavers too. It was an essential cash producing occupation to boost what was usually subsistence farming, no matter how many acres they had.

OC

Comment

Sorry - deleted post because it was rubbish!!!
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-03-17, 09:50.
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

If it is any help .............

most of OH's family that lived in that area were tenant farmers and corn millers, and their ancestors probably lived in the Forest of Bowland but then spread across Lancashire, Westmorland, Yorkshire, etc. So there were relatives all over the place by the time we get to the late 18th century.

I've found that cousins would exchange residences with cousins ............... so corn miller and farmer in Lancashire in one census will be a corn miller and farmer in Yorkshire in the next. Not at all helpful when every line used the same forenames ....... Christopher and Gilbert being most popular. Nor that they also seemed to like to marry wives with the same or similar forename.

Many of them farmed large acreages, but none of them owned that land .............. they were tenant farmers. One descendent from the line is still a tenant farmer of the same farm that entered the family by marriage to a daughter back in at least 1870. I'm trying to trace further back for that farm ........... the ownership has changed hands several times, but the tenancy has always been continued. The house can be dated back to ca 1400 as an outlier for an abbey, becoming a private residence after dissolution.

The area is extremely interesting, but the families are confusing. However, I think very few of the farms were actually owned by the farmers ......

...... and it was very uncommon for any except the eldest or possibly eldest and a brother to remain on the farm. Daughters became dairy maids or house servants on neighbouring farms, or moved to towns, until they married, and younger sons became farm labourers ........... or moved to the city and worked in hotels as a barman.

I had noticed that there were children born to a Christopher and Margaret and Christopher and Peggy .................... and that this needs very careful research to determine whether it is one family or two, as Peggy is a common derivative for Margaret, but also was a common name in itself. I was too tired last night to go any further.

Similar to my problems with Christopher and Elizabeth / Eliza / Lizzie

Comment

Working...
                                        X