Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Help on Searching

Hi,
    I am relatively new to researching my family tree and would appreciate any help on a couple of points that I am struggling with. I have been using Ancestry.co.uk to which I have a subscription for most of my research. I have populated my tree with a lot of information we already know relating to near relatives and facts already known in the family. My first query is - Some information that I already know (for example my mothers death in 1997) doesn't show up in any search. I have used specific dates and places and also tried being less specific but no way does anything come up relating to her death. I don't know if this has any bearing on the result but she actually died whilst abroad in Spain. To add to this, my fathers death which was 5 years later in 2002 comes up instantly in searches?

My next query is an uncle of mine. Again I know his name, where he lived and when he was born 1900 (+/- 1 year) and also date of death 1970 (+/- 1 year). I also know his spouses name (my Aunty). However all I can find in searches is their marriage certificate nothing else. I know where my uncle worked (Seaham docks) and its this information I wanted to trace but so far I am drawing a blank on anything?

Any advise would be appreciated as I feel I am spending a lot of time trawling through search information and not getting very far - its demotivating....

Welcome to FTF Alan. Under the banner at the top of this page is our reference library which has a mine of information about Genealogy and how to get started.( Click the link)

You will need to build up a lot more information about your family before Ancestry is much help to you I'm afraid. See how that goes and then come back to this thread if you need any help or advice.

Your mother's death in Spain will have been registered there. That won't be on Ancestry.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-03-17, 17:12.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There is a very large amount of information on Ancestry but even that is only a fraction of what is available, specially as you go further back.
      As has been said the births, marriages and deaths on Ancestry UK are only for England and Wales. Anyone who died abroad or in Scotland or Northern Ireland will not be on those.
      If the people whose records you are looking for are deceased t is OK togive their names on here and someone will help you find them and give you some tips on how they did it.
      Anne

Comment

Many thanks for your help. I will start reading,

Alan

Comment

Hi Anne,
          My uncles name was Thomas Watson. He died when I was about 11yrs old in 1970 (+/- 2yrs). The reason I want to know more about him is because he worked at Seaham docks most of his life and I believe he was a dockmaster. Seaham docks is now a marina with shops, developments and information centre with old photos and memorabilia. I cant see any reference to my uncle in any of the magazines or newspapers. If I knew more about him it would be of great interest to talk about my history and links with the staff on site. What I know about him is he was born around 1900, married Ethel Graham in 1927 they had no children. They lived in Seaham (definite) at 3 Vincent Street Dawdon (not certain) for many years. Any pointers and method how to proceed would be appreciated.

Alan

Comment

Just an update, I have sent for my uncles marriage certificate as I found that

Comment

I think this must be them in 1939 Register, Alan. Birth date a bit out but address almost correct

2 Vincent Street , Seaham U.D., Durham, England

Thomas Watson born 27 Sep 1894 Male Railway Traffic Foreman Married
              Ethel Watson born 30 May 1898 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
              Kat

Comment

Do any of these names ring a bell for you. ie Francis and Barbra Watson or John and Mary Watson as your grandparents? ... Thomas's parents?

1901 census
                4, Pilot Terrace, Seaham Harbour, Dawdon, Easington, Durham, England

Francis Watson Head Married Male 53 1848 Labourer (Bottleworks) South Shields, Durham, England
                Barbra Watson Wife Married Female 51 1850 - Durham, England
                Francis Watson Son Single Male 18 1883 Masons Labourer Durham, England
                Robert Watson Son Single Male 16 1885 Glass Bottle Carrier Durham, England
                Barbara Watson Daughter Single Female 13 1888 - Durham, England
                Elizabeth Watson Daughter Single Female 10 1891 - Durham, England
                Thomas Watson Son Single Male 6 1895 - Durham, England

OR

1901 census
                Todds Buildings, 8, Seaham Harbour, Dawdon, Easington, Durham, England

John T Watson Head Married Male 43 1858 Boilersmith Durham, England
                Mary A Watson Wife Married Female 40 1861 - Durham, England
                Ann Watson Daughter Single Female 19 1882 Servant (Domestic) Durham, England
                Maggie Watson Daughter Single Female 15 1886 Servant (Domestic) Durham, England
                Mary Watson Daughter - Female 12 1889 - Durham, England
                Ethel Watson Daughter - Female 8 1893 - Durham, England
                Thomas Watson Son - Male 6 1895 - Durham, England
                Jane Watson Daughter - Female 2 1899 - Durham, England
                Kat

Comment

On 1911 census father John's occupation is a Boiler Smith,

Thomas Watson Son Single Male Railway Labourer 16 1895 born Durham Seaham Harbour
                  8 Todds Buildings Seaham Harbour, Dawdon, Durham, England.
                  Plus a grandson
                  William Watson Male School 6 1905 born Durham Seaham Harbour.

On 1911 Census father Francis(Frank) 's occupation is Gas Stoker
                  Thomas Watson Son Single Male General Labourer 16 1895 born Durham Seaham Harbour

If any of these in the two posts are yours we will be able to find the marriages and births.

The marriage cert for Thomas that you have sent for will give his father's name and occupation. Hopefully that will be one of those in the 1901/1911/ censuses shown here.
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-03-17, 18:17.
                  Kat

Comment

Wow Katarzyna, there's some good information there and I believe your probably on the right track. The 1939 register is correct by the look of it. I would be interested to know what plan of attack you took to find it as I have only ever uncovered the marriage details? I don't recognise Francis, Barbara, John or Mary but as you say, the marriage certificate could name them? And it seems likely being that there son is Thomas on the railways (the docks had a railway that I know he worked on)
                    I am going away out of the country now until Wednesday so my posts will stop until then. Again thanks for the support, I look forward to picking up on this and updating my tree.

Alan

Comment

It's Thomas and Mary's son who is the Railway labourer.
                      The 1939 Register is on Find My Past.
                      Have a good trip!
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-03-17, 20:24.
                      Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X