No announcement yet.

Canada 1921 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I know where I found 1910 passenger details for Harry, it was on F.M.P.!
    Toby

Comment

The 1901 census does not say adopted, an assumption by me because Sam and Sarah did not have any of their own children and suddenly Harry appears and is given the Blight name.
      Toby.

Comment

I can now see the 1910 departure of a Harry Blight b 1888 on FMP. Ancestry has the arrival of the SS St Paul but only seeing Howard b 1888 transcribed. No Harry arriving at Ellis Island off the SS St Paul.

If I remember the 1911 Canada census shows the McLeods arriving 1911. Not sure if that is an Ontario place of birth for Charlotte or a ditto England.

Vera

Comment

There was a George Blight mmn Wandless registered in 1990 Burnley Union who sadly died the same year. Could be one of the 2 children recorded as being born to Sam and Sarah, the other being Harry

Vera

Comment

Just found a William James Blight registered 1887 mmn Wandless b Burnley Union who died the same year registered Wakefield.

Vera

Comment

Yes, George born 1890 and William James 1887 were the sons of Samuel and Sarah, nee Wandless. Harry was not their birth son, somehow he ended up with them in Blackpool, dont know how. I dont think that the Mcleods are connected with Harry in anyway apart from lodging with them. Do you have access to Canadian death records? We could try Harrys death say from 1938 onwards, I checked England Free BMD, nothing there.
              Thks.
              Toby

Comment

I just wondered as in 1911 it says married 23 years 2 children born alive one died one still living ?

Comment

, I missed that. I havent looked at the 1911 census for a long time, my records are still on file with the "official" 1911 site but I could not find it perhaps the web page has changed. In fact in 1911 they had been married 19 years. The one alive would be Harry, both other sons born 1887 and 1890 and died in those respective years so why did Sam/Sarah say only one died, unless one was stillborn and they thought that that did not count, I have their birth certs but would a birth be registered if the child was stillborn, got me baffled! Why say they were married 23 years when it was 19,perhaps they could not count.
                  Toby.

Comment

It actually says children born alive of this marriage. two and one died, so a stillborn I suppose would not be listed.
                    I would not have thought it could be Harry ,as it is supposed to be children of this marriage and if he was adopted, then he was not be born of that marriage.
                    I am having trouble finding their marriage.

Comment

They were married in Leeds, Yorkshire 2/2/1892, I could not find their marriage either, I was looking prior to 1887 when their son William James was born, they were listed in the 1891 census as man and wife but obviously not. I obtained the marriage cert and there is no doubt that the facts are correct, Sarah was born in Yorkshire and I have linked her Wandless family to Samuel re 1911 census.
                      Harry had to be "adopted" because he was born in Wellington, Shropshire about 1887, the same year as their son William in Burnley!
                      Keeps our brain active this does!
                      Toby

Comment

I'm wondering if maybe he was his son but not Sarah's ? I'll have another look

Comment

Possible seeing that Samuel was a journeyman carpenter but if this was the case then he would not have registered Harry,s birth as a Blight, if at all, you may see something that I missed!
                          Thanks.
                          Toby.

Comment

Have searched but can't see him anywhere after 1911.

Can't see a link with Harry and Samuel so would agree likely to have been 'adopted' by Sarah and Samuel after the death of their two babies.

Wonder why Harry chose to go off to Canada on his own. May be he had his BC and chose to revert to his birth name in later life if indeed he was not born Harry Blight.

Couldn't see a death for him either in Canada

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 09-03-17, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                              Have searched but can't see him anywhere after 1911.

Can't see a link with Harry and Samuel so would agree likely to have been 'adopted' by Sarah and Samuel after the death of their two babies.

Wonder why Harry chose to go off to Canada on his own. May be he had his BC and chose to revert to his birth name in later life if indeed he was not born Harry Blight.

Couldn't see a death for him either in Canada

Vera
                              I'm coming onto this thread rather late, but would like to throw a couple of ideas into the melting pot.
                              Re emigration in 1911 - might this have been prompted by the death of the parents/foster parents?
                              Re name change - I have several examples of people relinquishing an aka surname (often that of step-father, or foster parents) and starting to use their birth surname at their marriage, and afterwards.
                              Could he have been born with the surname of Sarah, and have been boarding with her parents before her marriage to Samuel?

Sorry if these possibilities have already been considered and discarded - I've only glanced through the earlier family background posts.

Jay
                              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-03-17, 14:07.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Frustrating! He used the Blight name in the 1911 Canada census but he may have changed it later on as you suggest. Looked at the 1920 and 30 U.S. Census, not there, Harry S. was there but born in U.S. Canada deaths only go up to 1955? He was born 1887 so may have died 1955 to 1970? I think we have hit a brick wall. I have a daughter in Vancouver, will ask her to try and find something.
                                Thanks for searching.
                                Toby.

Comment

Sarah died in Liverpool 1914 and Samuel in Liverpool in 1917 so death not the reason for emigrating. We dont know his surname at birth in Wellington Shropshire, I have looked at census,s for the Wandless family, Sarahs maiden name, Harry does not appear anywhere, who knows why he arrived in Blackpool prior to the 1901 census.Thks for your interest.
                                  Toby.

Comment

Vera, do you have a sub with Ancestry? There is a Harry Blight listed in Quebec on the Canada Voters Lists 1935 to 1980, the year of listing is 1953 so he would have been about 66. Dont know what info the record gives but worth a go.
                                    Thks.
                                    Toby.

Comment

The Harry Blight 1853 Quebec

Harry Blight Salesman
                                      Mrs Harry Blight
                                      4062 De La Peltrie Ave
                                      Mount Royal
                                      Quebec

So who was he and where did he come from I wonder. Not recorded before or after 1953. The H Blight is Hugh, an Engineer who is also recorded in 1953.

Vera

Comment

Putting this down whilst it's in my head. Not helping with Harry post 1911 but could be the link to his 'adoption' by Samuel and Sarah.

When looking at Samuel could see ? his parents were father George, mother Margery/Margaret.

1861 there is a George and Margery with Thomas Hy 9, George 5, Elizabeth 3 and William James 1

1871 Samuel is with mother Margaret in Stoke Dameral and brother William James. Sister Elizabeth with grandparents.

1871 father George boarding in Ashburton, Devon with sons ]Thomas, 19 and George 14 all Joiners.

Father George dies in 1873.

1881 mother Margaret is with Samuel, 18, Annie 8 and a nephew Alex ?Millard living in Burnley

They all go their separate ways but mother and Annie continue living together.

I left it at that with no links I could see to Harry.

However looking again at that birth reg for Harry Blight b 1887 Redruth mmn Broad, I could not see him again or any deaths for a young child. There is another child George b 1885 Redruth mmn Broad. There is a George on the

1891 census with mother Rebecca Jane Blight but a child b 1887 on that census is.William.

A Rebecca Jane Broad married. Thomas Henry Blight in Burnley in 1973.

Wondering if this is the parental link to Harry. Need to look some more at that William.

Vera
                                        Last edited by vera2013; 10-03-17, 10:26.

Comment

Don't think there is a link. Can see that although Thomas Henry died 1995, Rebecca Jane didn't die until much later and that William b 1887 is still with them in 1901.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X