Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Guy

Not the same thing at all! One was a promise, the other was a lie.

All kinds of bodies hold all kinds of information about us as individuals. I don't much care. But I would rather it was all kept private while I'm alive at least, otherwise where do you draw the line? Everyone's current medical records online? If not, why not?

OC
    Sorry but it was not a promise it would be more accurately be described as a notice of intention. Even the NHS and the National Archives understood that there was every possibility that some records of living would be unintentionally unredacted.

That is why they set limits of standards that had to be achieved, standards that FMP not only achieved but surpassed.
    We are not talking about sensitive personal information or private information here but information publicly available from other sources.
    Do not forget the information only gives date of birth, names including any change of surname, address and occupation. Additional information that can be seen is the other residents in the house, there is not even any relationship information given.

Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Then why bother to have any restrictions at all?

OC

Comment

Then why bother to have any restrictions at all?

OC
        The restrictions are there because FMP's contract with the NA & NHS required them to be there.
        The NA & NHS laid down the accuracy required for meeting the restrictions and FMP have not only met that level of accuracy but have bettered it, yes errors have been made but more than a few of those errors have been in the records kept by the NHS

From what I have seen on the various forums and elsewhere the large majority of people who complain about records being open are not the subject of the open records but third parties complaining.
        Of those I cannot see any (though I expect there are some) who have said the subject asked them to raise the matter with FMP, from what I have seen all have taken it upon themselves to complain without the subjects knowledge (though a couple when pushed have claim they are acting with power of attorney).

The whole privacy issue is something that has grown from poorly worded law which is being interpreted by a few to censor perfectly reasonable requests.
        It is like doctors surgeries refusing to tell a husband that their wife has left the surgery when he calls to meet her, etc.

Cheers
        Guy

Comment

Just a thought ........... most of us are on the electoral role - I am not sure at what point they appear in public libraries - they must give much the same info if not more because of the need to identify folk at the time of voting - I have used electoral roll to search for someone in the past. Perhaps only older ones appear in the Library but I think it may be the current ones but can't be sure about that. Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 26-02-17, 15:41.

Comment

Sue

Just try getting a look at the electoral rolls now! Where I live, you are only allowed to see your own entry, no one else,s, unless you are from an authorised body. In any case, electoral rolls do not give your age, nor your date of birth, nor any previous or future name, so they are of limited use anyway.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other whether the 1939 register is open or closed or whatever. What I do care about is the cynical statements about protecting living people's privacy and then failing to do that. If you say you are going to do it, then do it!

OC

Comment

...time submitted many HUNDREDS of corrections to their census transcriptions. In other words, I did their work for them AND I paid them to let me do it!

OC
              Yes, it's irritating that transcriptions are wrong, but I've also benefited from making corrections - or from the corrections others have made: I found my father's 4th cousin because I contacted him about a correction he made; I eliminated a potential cousin (from the early 1700s) because I contacted the corrector (she was researching lottery winners and knew which family this possible cousin belonged to). And I've had a couple contact me. So not all bad!

Comment

Sue

Just try getting a look at the electoral rolls now! Where I live, you are only allowed to see your own entry, no one else,s, unless you are from an authorised body. In any case, electoral rolls do not give your age, nor your date of birth, nor any previous or future name, so they are of limited use anyway.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other whether the 1939 register is open or closed or whatever. What I do care about is the cynical statements about protecting living people's privacy and then failing to do that. If you say you are going to do it, then do it!

OC

If that is the case then your council is breaking the law.
                It is illegal for them to refuse you the right to look through the full register under supervision.
                Simply allow you to view your entry is not enough the register a public document provided to ensure the people registered on the register actually live in the ward and as with church banns it is part of the public’s “duty” to inspect
                See Representation of the People Regulations 2001 Regulation 43

Cheers
                Guy

Comment

Guy

We have had this conversation before. My council does indeed allow supervised inspection at a cost of 38 pounds an hour.

OC

Comment

Hi Guy, When I was allowed to view the electoral rolls it was in Basingstoke, Hants and it was quite a while ago - had just started family research and hadn't a clue how to find things out. I didn't live in the area - I was never asked where I lived and my sister and I spent a happy afternoon looking for our mother in the electoral rolls - we now know she wouldn't have been on there anyway as she didn't live in Basingstoke. I got my just deserts anyway ...........parked in the wrong place and got my first ever "parking fine"! Sue

Comment

Guy

We have had this conversation before. My council does indeed allow supervised inspection at a cost of 38 pounds an hour.

OC
                      I didn't know that councils were allowed to charge for looking at electoral registers.
                      In my council area, the version of the register held in libraries us the privatised one. You may ask to see any part of it in the presence of staff but it cannot be copied by any means. Pencil notes are allowed.
                      The full register is only held in office of the department for electoral registration. I have not needed to see it so don't know what conditions are imposed.

Comment

Admittedly, it is quite a few years since I attempted to look at the current register.

I have just checked on the council website and it says nothing about a charge, only that you need to phone to make an appointment to view. The charge was, from memory, presented as the standard hourly research charge rather than an actual charge to view. Perhaps things have changed and it is now free. All I know is that when I tried to search for someone who owed me a lot of money, I was not allowed to do so. Perhaps ten years ago?

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X