Marriage registers to be abolished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage registers to be abolished?

Interesting article in Lost Cousins this week.

Also this one

Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-02-17, 13:52.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

This is an unintended consequence of the move to include mother's details on marriage entries which is something long overdue .....unfortunately the costs are quite large so the proposal is to save money at the same time by adopting the simpler paperwork system that is used for civil partnerships.

I have also heard (but is only a rumour) that if the court case today opens up civil partnership to male/female couples the likely outcome will be that civil partnerships will be withdrawn for everyone.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I suppose they could still use the same form, which would be cheaper, and write mother and name in brackets under the Father's name. This will ensure that mothers continue to 'remember their place' as second class citizens - as has always been politically.

** tongue in cheek emoji **

Will be interesting to see the result of this court case.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Call me thick but I simply do not understand why a man and woman would want a civil partnership as opposed to a civil marriage. .What is the difference?

OC

Comment

BBC news says the ruling is that the couple are not entitled to a civil partnership.

Comment

Working...
          X