John Montgomery Hill - Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Montgomery Hill - Ireland

I am hoping that some of you clever people out there may have a suggestion about how I could find information on the antecedents of Col. John Montgomery Hill (“JMH”) born about 1893 in Ireland (Armagh/Dublin?), died 1870 in London.

JMH married Emily Obré in 1818 (Tartarraghan, Armagh). The had six daughters (born in Gibraltar, Spain, other unknown locations and the youngest in South Africa. Following a military career, he was appointed Magistrate in Picquetburg, South Africa.

JMH is known to have had cousins Sarah Howe and her brother Gilbert. In his will he also mentioned Amelia Fox, Maria Fox and Mrs Harriet Hill (now known to be née Fox). We have traced the family of Mrs Harriet Hill’s husband, John, but cannot find any connection with JMH. All of these families were in Ireland. Amongst other children, Harriet and John had a daughter Anne Montgomery Hill (1844-1913) which definitely suggests that they were related.

Maybe this is a red herring, but in desperation, I followed a possible clue. One of JMH’s sons-in-law was Alexander Charles Heyland (“ACH”). ACH’s first wife was a Montgomery and there are definite connections between Heylands and Montgomerys. In addition, online trees show the given name Rowley being used by both these families and a Hill family, but I still cannot make a connection.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

I am related to a Hill family which uses the name Rowley a lot in their names. It is used for a lot of the boys. I wonder if this is the Hill family which you mention.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you for your response. This may well be the same family. I don't suppose the name Montgomery appears anywhere in your tree?

Comment

I haven't researched this family as it is my cousins' tree but they were an Army Family. They had very distinctive names included in their Christian names so they are easy to research. They also held high office in the army so they are well documented.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The problem is that I have no proof that John Montgomery Hill was part of the "Rowley Hill" family; it is a possibility which I am trying to follow up as there seem so to be no other line of research. I was hoping someone might recognise the name or have other suggestions as to where I should look.

Comment

I am directly descended from John Montgomery Hill. I am named after Emily Obré - my maiden name is Obré Sherwill-Anderson and I am related through my great Grandmother who was Annie Thullier Hill who married Walter Sherwill-Anderson I inherited John Montgomery Hills Peninsula Campaign Medal as well as his Waterloo medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Opemberton View Post
              I am directly descended from John Montgomery Hill. I am named after Emily Obré - my maiden name is Obré Sherwill-Anderson and I am related through my great Grandmother who was Annie Thullier Hill who married Walter Sherwill-Anderson I inherited John Montgomery Hills Peninsula Campaign Medal as well as his Waterloo medal.
              Opemberton, Lily1950 hasn't signed in for a few months. You may be able to send her a Private Message (not sure, you may need to have done enough forum postings first). When you are able, you may click "Send PM" below her name (left side of one of her postings).

Welcome to FTF!

Comment

Working...
              X