FMP renewal price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP renewal price

Had an email to say the renewal cost will be £116.55 instead of £155.95 for cstomers who are on automatic renewal, sounds a lot even then, but I prefer it to Ancestry now, although I use both, so luckily for me Tom pays for one as a xmas present.

Yes, I use FMP much more than I do Ancestry, especially the Yorkshire databases. ( As these records are based in two different record offices, the annual sub is less than I would pay in petrol and parking, let alone my time.) I rarely use Ancestry, apart from viewing the links in research requests on here. I keep up my FMP sub, but allow the Ancestry one to lapse until I can make use of a special offer, when I then join up again.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've been paying half price for FMP for years now, although I usually have to have a couple of months break in between. When my subscription expires I don't renew, and eventually I get offered 50% discount. I just use PAYG in the mean time, not a problem as I mainly use Ancestry.
      Last edited by PeteW1959; 15-02-17, 11:31.
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

is that right Pete ummm, maybe I'll email them first, funny Janet how FMP is now better than Ancestry , remembering the outcry when it updated its site, I was so angry with them but now I love it.

Comment

Yes, Val, I remember how unhappy you were after the big revamp of the site. I personally have always found FMP to give me "better" snapshot search results and, due to my areas of research, an hour on the site can produce more primary source material than I would get in two half-day visits to both the Treasure House and the Borthwick institute.

With Ancestry, a "special offer" UK sub worked out at less per week than a once a week drive to the nearest public library to use the site, including free parking in one of the local towns.

At the end of the day though, researching both my family and village history is my passion. I had to pack in smoking for health reasons, there's nowhere in the village to spend any money, nor any public transport to take me out for retail therapy, so I might as well spend my money on something I enjoy.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Cigarettes cost so much you must have saved a lot, when I gave it up I saved the money I would have spent and treated myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              is that right Pete ummm, maybe I'll email them first, funny Janet how FMP is now better than Ancestry , remembering the outcry when it updated its site, I was so angry with them but now I love it.
              I remember that too. Now I much prefer FMP to Ancestry. I only use Ancestry occasionally at the library and don't like their search function - perhaps because I'm not used to it anymore.
              Jenny

Comment

Ancestry certainly isn't as good as it used to be.

Comment

Oh yes Val I remember your worries back then but I also much prefer FMP, always have done but sadly still need both.:(I wish I could get shot of Ancestry, but still turning up bits on the LMA that are worth their weight in gold. Just hope I get a discount e mail for FMP in October.

Janet

Comment

Well, I have to have both! Still good value when compared to travelling to record offices and only being able to do about 1/1000th of what I do at home each visit. Ancestry has West Yorkshire and FMP has North and East Yorkshire. I need them both! Also when searching censuses neither are perfect but if you can't find who you want on one, then you may be able to on the other. Both have crazy transcriptions!
                    Sadly neither have Bedfordshire :-(
                    Anne

Comment

I have both too ,as you say sometimes what you dont find on FMP you do on Ancestry, and visa versa.

Comment

Ah, I am waiting for Bedfordshire as I thimk I might find some interesting ones there, so I wonder which one will get that one first, or perhaps neither!! It must be one of the last counties to come online, I wonder why??

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                          Ah, I am waiting for Bedfordshire as I thimk I might find some interesting ones there, so I wonder which one will get that one first, or perhaps neither!! It must be one of the last counties to come online, I wonder why??

Janet
                          I think a lot depends on the individual record office/repository who have custody of the original data.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

In years gone by the Bedfordshire FHS did a huge amount of transcribing of all the parish records. When you visit the archive in Bedford it is these transcriptions which form the basis of searches. Maybe this means they weren't filmed by the LDS? More recently the FHS have sold CDs with parish collections of records (but not PR images) but I can't afford a full collection.
                            Its such a small county but my entire paternal side of my family come from there since the 1700s! Its such a long way from Carlisle!
                            Anne
                            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 18-02-17, 20:12.

Comment

Working...
                            X