New version of Family Tree Maker - IMPORTANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version of Family Tree Maker - IMPORTANT

Am posting this here, rather than in the Software forum, as hopefully it will be seen by more members!

As you probably know Family Tree Maker has been taken over by a new company called Mackiev. They have just announced at Rootstech that a new version, FTM 2017, will shortly be available with shipping expected to start in March.

What's new:
    • FamilySearch - matching and merging with FS (presume in a similar way that you get your green leave hints from Ancestry)
    • Family Sync - which is the MacKiev version of the new technology replacing the current TreeSync. Apparently includes the ability to sync multiple copies of FTM to one Ancestry tree.
    • Colour coding - not sure what this is exactly - seems you will be able to colour code direct ancestral lines so you now where you are on your tree.
    • Photo Darkroom - photo enhancement tool.

From what I have read it appears that there will be just one version of FTM 2017 which will work on both Windows & Mac - and that the data files are completely interchangeable.

The pre release price (available currently at Rootstech) is 29.99 US$ but I think this is for an upgrade from the previous version of FTM2014 (originally issued by FTM/Ancestry) or from the FTM2014.1 version (issued by MacKiev). Special discounts have been promised to existing FTM users, although not clear if that applies to pre FTM2014 versions.

The important thing, if you are a FTM user, is that you sign up for the MacKiev newsletter which will give you information as to when the new version is available and whether you can take advantage of discounted prices. To do this click on the Mailing List tab under the profile ad on this link:
    Family Tree Maker makes it easier than ever to discover your family story, preserve your legacy and share your unique heritage. If you're new to family history, you'll appreciate how this intuitive program lets you easily grow your family tree with simple navigation, tree-building tools, and integrated Web searching. If you’re already an expert, you can dive into the more advanced features, options for managing data, and a wide variety of charts and reports. The end result is a family history that you and your family will treasure for years to come!

What hasn't been made clear as yet is how this will affect users who do not want to upgrade to the 2017 version but currently synchronise their tree between FTM and Ancestry. At some point the current method of TreeSync will stop and it will be replaced by FamilySync. Whether this will work on earlier versions of FTM is not clear but the general feeling is that it wont, which means if you want to continue with the sync option then you will need to upgrade! I expect all will be revealed in due course!

If you are a Facebook user then it might be worthwhile joining the FTM Users Group, where Jack Minsky (CEO of Mackiev) helps to answer queries and posts FTM product updates.
    This group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software. If you have not yet purchased the Family Tree Maker (FTM) program, please review https://support.mackiev.com/431886-Whats-New-in-FTM-2019...

- and if you haven't already done so, make sure you are on the Mackiev mailing list and that your current version of FTM is registered.
    Elaine

Thank you Elaine, have signed up
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I've signed up for the newsletter now.
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I have also signed up, I have 2014, but never use it, I had so many problems with it, so went back to my 2012, anyway, I thought I better register the 2014 one, which I did, and found I have 6 months Ancestry yet to activate, so happy bunny.. Lilly

Comment

Lilly, if you have a six month subscription to activate I would suggest you do it quickly! It's not something which is offered with the Mackiev versions and I'm not sure how long Ancestry will continue to honour the freebie.
          Elaine

Comment

If it doesn't work automatically you may even have to ring them Lily to get it activated. I had to for the one that I loaded in January.

Comment

Hi Elaine., thank you, you have a point, I have a few months left from a special deal Ancestry done, but maybe if I activate the six months, it might be tagged on the end of it?...Maybe.......Lilly

Comment

Thanks Chrisse,I will have go and see what happens...haven't really lost anything, as I forgot it was there anyway, and have been paying for it the last year or so..:(...Lilly....Well I have activated it, it seems to have worked ok..... thanks ladies.......
                Last edited by Lilly the flower; 11-02-17, 20:00. Reason: addding more

Comment

Anybody had an email and got the new update yet? I'm still waiting ����
                  My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I've signed up too.
                    :D Charney Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                      Anybody had an email and got the new update yet? I'm still waiting ����
                      I signed up but haven't heard anything yet.

Comment

Important for anyone who uses the sync option between Family Tree Maker and Ancestry.

The end of Treesync (in its current format) between Family Tree Maker and Ancestry will end on 29th March 2017.

Between Wednesday 29 March and Friday 31 March syncing functionality will be unavailable as Software MacKiev and Ancestry deploy the new syncing technology.

FamilySync will be available only in Software MacKiev’s Family Tree Maker 2017 edition, which is planned for release on March 31, 2017.
                        No other FTM edition will sync with Ancestry trees.

Full info on the MacKiev support site.
                        The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.
                        Elaine

Comment

Overnight, MacKiev have posted some FAQ information.
                          The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.

Something worth noting:
                          PURCHASE QUESTIONS
                          How do I take advantage of the preorder discount?
                          If you have not done so already, sign up for our mailing list at www.familytreemaker.com, and you will receive information on how to preorder Family Tree Maker 2017. To go to our preorder landing page directly, click here - please note that this link is meant for US customers; if you live outside of the US, it is best to sign up for the mailing list and wait for the presale email, which will have a link appropriate to your country of residence.

So it seems it's probably better to wait for the link in their newsletter. The difference between the different versions is the way in which the searches are undertaken, e.g. the US version will search US first, Canadian version searches Canadian records first . etc.
                          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 21-03-17, 07:54.
                          Elaine

Comment

UPDATE !

Apparently the installer (download) includes a choice of US, Canadian, Australian or UK editions.
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              UPDATE !

Apparently the installer (download) includes a choice of US, Canadian, Australian or UK editions.
                              Thanks Elaine for all your work on this to ensure we are fully informed.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, thank you Elaine Ditto to what Margaret said

Comment

More info -
                                  The discounted pre-order price of 29.95 dollars/pounds/euros is only available until Wednesday 29th March. Orders placed after that will cost 39.95 dollars/pounds/euros.
                                  Elaine

Comment

The problem is that since I registered I have never received an e-mail from them, so need to decide whether to purchase or not.
                                    It puts an end to the query I had about sync though!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                      More info -
                                      The discounted pre-order price of 29.95 dollars/pounds/euros is only available until Wednesday 29th March. Orders placed after that will cost 39.95 dollars/pounds/euros.
                                      Just shows how the world has changed in the last 10-15 years! Parity of the currencies was unheard of.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I registered in February and got the automated email response. I haven't heard any more.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X