Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy 8.0 How do I show unmarried couples with children.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy 8.0 How do I show unmarried couples with children.

I hope I can explain this well.

My Grandfather had a child out of wedlock with his then sweetheart. The parents wouldn't let them marry and they drifted apart.

My Granddad later married my Grandmother and they had five children. I have this all entered and it looks fine.

My Grandmother brought the out of wedlock child up along with her other five children. I want to include her as a half sister without marrying my Granddad to her mother.

When I add the mother and child from Granddad's first affair it marries him to her instead of my Grandmother.

So... How should I add the mother and child so that it shows correctly. I'm new to FTM so need step by step if possible please.

Thanks in advance

John

Researching
    Impett East Kent
    Measday East Kent
    Walker Bolton
    Roger
    Aberdeen

1. When you open up your grandfather's setting, go to the first icon within his frame, immediately above the marriage bar. It will say 'spouses' when you hover over the icon.
    2. Click on this icon and a drop down menu will allow you to add a new 'wife'.
    3. Choose 'add a new person' and when you have entered in the details, within the screen for entering the details re the relationship, there is a 'status' drop down menu, which gives you a choice...probably, in this case, I would choose 'unmarried'
    4. Save this screen and when you return to the original screen you should see your grandfather partnered by the new person. You can then add the child in question to this partnership and when you 'select' the wife again, this child should show as a half sibling in the list of children.
    5. If you return to the original 'spouse' icon. the drop down menu should allow you to 'set to preferred' and this will then be the person who automatically shows as your grandfather's wife whenever you open up his screen.

I don't think it will be immediately obvious on screen that the unmarried partner was, in fact unmarried until you look at the status bar....can't remember if that detail comes up in a print out or not.

I have a gt grandmother who was involved in multiple relationships, most with children involved, but not always with a marriage cert, so I have been through this scene before.

Hope this is clear enough to follow...would put up screen shots if I could work out how to draw on them.
    Last edited by Macbev; 05-02-17, 01:45.

Beverley

Comment

Bev. Use the 'snipping tool' instead of a screen shot. It comes with a 'pen' that you can use to draw on the snip (which is a JPEG) before you save it.
      Search for snipping tool and keep it handy on the taskbar. I use it a lot!
      Anne

Comment

Hi Macbev

Many thanks for your informative reply - very helpful.

Regards
        John

Comment

Hi again Macbev

Just tried your suggestion - perfect - thank you so much. Save me a lot of head scratching

John

Comment

Glad there was a happy outcome John

Anne, thanks for the advice re snipping tool . Knew there had to be an easier way :D Off to play with it now.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
            X