Clear All

:(
    Name: Age at Death:
    STEVENS, NELLIE MILLICENT 15 (Months?)
    GRO Reference: 1894 J Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 141
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Looking at your tree you need to change Nellie Edith Wilson to Nellie Edith Stevens - women should all be shown in their maiden names otherwise you will not be able to search for them correctly.

Margaret

Comment

Do you know if your grandmother Nellie Edith Stevens was born in Leicester? if so how do you know that?

We are having difficulty finding her birth record to confirm her parents.

Margaret

Comment

I see you have a 1911 census fact for Nellie on your ancestry tree but I cannot see the source for that so am unable to check your findings and take it back any further.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you Margaret for your help. It is appreciated.

* I will change Nellie Edith Wilson to Nellie Edith Stevens in my tree.
            * I don't know if Nellie was born in Leicester, I probably made an error in assuming that. I'm going to the Leicester Records Office tommorow to see if they can shed a light.
            * What do you mean, 'I can't see the source for that', relating to the 1911 census fact for Nellie?

You will have to educate me about some of these things, I am new to this.

Regards

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStevens View Post
              Thank you Margaret for your help. It is appreciated.

* I will change Nellie Edith Wilson to Nellie Edith Stevens in my tree.
              * I don't know if Nellie was born in Leicester, I probably made an error in assuming that. I'm going to the Leicester Records Office tommorow to see if they can shed a light.
              * What do you mean, 'I can't see the source for that', relating to the 1911 census fact for Nellie?

You will have to educate me about some of these things, I am new to this.

Regards

Michael
              ON the list of facts you have for Nellie you have one that is 'Residence' 2 Apr 1911 in Leicester but I have been unable to find that myself so I wondereded if you knew where you found it and if you could tell me the information you found?

Margaret

Comment

Just thinking can you tell us what address Nellie gave when she registered your father's birth? and what he occupation was please?

Margaret

Comment

The only ones I can see in 1911 are a Nelly Stevens but born March 1889 in Leicester. Her father is Walter but he is a Wood Turner (which wood possibly fit with Carpenter - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...&usePUBJs=true

And this one who is an Edith Stevens born Dec 1893 in Leicester. Father is George Stevens though and is a Shoe finisher, married to Maria nee Whitworth -
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The nellie stephen b.1893, leicester was m.1920 leicester to richard thomas tuck. Marriage is on fmp, father john thompson stephen.

Comment

These are the baptisms on fmp:

Nellie stevenson b.1886 ch.1888 leicester, dau of william and emma. Rivetter
                      Nellie stevenson b.1889 leicester, dau of elizabeth.
                      Nellie stevens b.1889, leicester. Dau of walter and eliza. Wood turner
                      Edith ellen stevenson b.1892 leicester. dau of john truman and fanny. Brick layer
                      Elizabeth ellen stevenson b.1895 loughborough, dau of annie.
                      Ellen stevens b.1894 loughborough. Parents john and anne. Labourer

Nothing really fits

Comment

This might sound a bit crazy.

I checked 1911 census for Gipsy Lane, Leicester ( see post #5 – 1939 register Stevens and Wilson)
                        I found some Stevens living there. House numbers do not exist – just 2nd house Gipsy Lane

RG14PN19212 RG78PN1150B RD407 SD1 ED48 SN325
                        Harriet Stevens b 1879 Staffs, Roseville Coseley ( Married but husband absent) with three children , one born Leics and two born West Brom.
                        Married 13 years 4 children 4 living. So married c 1898

1901 census RG13/2720/81/11
                        With husband Alfred Stevens and the 4th child Alfred b West Brom 1898 - Alfred is a machine fitter 
                        So those were the four children declared.

However,
                        Marriage DEC 1897
                        Pedley Harriet W. Bromwich 6b 1523
                        Stevens Alfred Thomas W.Bromwich 6b 1523

Birth
                        PEDLEY, NELLIE -
                        GRO Reference: 1894 M Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 148
                        Wolstanton is a Staffs Reg Dist.

Nellie gives her birth date on 1939 register as 31 Dec 1893 so she would be registered 1st qtr 1894

On 1891 census Harriet’s father Joseph (if I have the correct census) is a joiner. Maybe Alfred changed occupations later.
                        RG12/3000/104/48

Haven’t as yet found Alfred on 1911 census or seen hide nor hair of this Nellie Pedley. I cannot find a suitable birth for this Nellie.

Somebody shoot me down!
                        Kat

Comment

Just a bit more :1911 he is with parents in law
                          Alfred Thomas Stevens
                          Age in 1911: 37
                          Estimated birth year: abt 1874
                          Relation to Head: Son-in-law
                          Birth Place: West Bromwich, Staffordshire
                          Street address: 8 Dudley Street, West Bromwich
                          Marital Status: Married
                          Registration district: West Bromwich
                          Registration District Number: 371
                          ED, institution, or vessel: 15
                          Household schedule number: 80
                          Piece: 17297

Martha Pedley 54
                          Florence Pedley 26
                          David Pedley 24
                          Arthur Pedley 21
                          Joseph Fredrick Pedley 16
                          Anne Pedley 18
                          Harry Pedley 11
                          Alfred Thomas Stevens 37
                          Alfred Thomas Stevens 13

Births Dec 1874
                          Stevens Alfred W. Bromwich 6b 817

Right family but no carpenter :(
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-02-17, 23:14.
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                            Is this the marriage cert you have Mike?

Marriages Mar 1920
                            Stevens Nellie E Leicester 7a 454
                            Wilson Arthur W Leicester 7a 454

Your Grandfather?
                            Yes, that's the marriage cerificate I have. Yes, my grandparents.

Comment

re #51 sorry was a bit tired.
                              ..............................................Nell ie Pedley. I cannot find a suitable birth for this Nellie.

that should read ...............I cannot find a suitable death for this Nellie.
                              Kat

Comment

Deleted - wrong question asked.
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-02-17, 09:10.
                                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                  Just thinking can you tell us what address Nellie gave when she registered your father's birth? and what her occupation was please?

Margaret
                                  Michael, can you answer this question Margaret put earlier it might be helpful, thanks.
                                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                    This might sound a bit crazy.

Birth
                                    PEDLEY, NELLIE -
                                    GRO Reference: 1894 M Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 148
                                    Wolstanton is a Staffs Reg Dist.

Nellie gives her birth date on 1939 register as 31 Dec 1893 so she would be registered 1st qtr 1894

On 1891 census Harriet’s father Joseph (if I have the correct census) is a joiner. Maybe Alfred changed occupations later.
                                    RG12/3000/104/48
                                    I'm liking this one! I think it must be 'our' Nellie - the GRO index shows there is no mother's maiden name so she is illegitimate and could have made up her father and his occupation or she gave her grandfather's occupation with her mother's second husband's name!

Margaret
                                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-02-17, 09:26.

Comment

Katarzyna - can you give the links for the census you ave found - I just can't get onto them with the references.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Found Harriett Pedley in 1881 http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...&usePUBJs=true
                                        RG11; Piece: 2870; Folio: 44; Page: 4; GSU roll: 1341688

Her father is John an Iron Moulder so no carpenter there!

In 1891 she is here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7572 mistranscribed as Pealey and at age 12 a servant in the household. So she has Nellie when only 16 yrs and then we don't see Nellie anywhere on the census.

Is she in the workhouse as an abandoned child?

Margaret

Comment

Harriet in Gipsy Lane b 1879 Roseville Coseley, Staffordshire,
                                          1911 http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...212%2f0649%2f1

1911 Alfred is with Pedleys Post# 52

Harriet and Alfred

I think you have the right 1881 and 1891 censuses.
                                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-02-17, 10:54.
                                          Kat

Comment

Working...
                                          X