Searching for Mitchell Eccles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew

If you had mentioned that there was a very long thread on another forum I would ha e picked up several important pieces of information, not least of which is that you have his exact date of birth and his mother's name on his death certificate. His mother's name is given as Mary Leigh.

Armed with that information I immediately found the marriage of Mary Eccles to Peter Shevelan Leigh in 1919 at Preston. I then found Peter's death in 1955 aged 78 in Fulwood and Mary,s death in 1970 aged 93, date of birth 15 July 1876. Buy this marriage certificate and this will tell you who her father was.

You can also look for this couple in 1939 which will confirm her maiden name and her date of birth.

You also failed to mention that the name Mitchell was used by his wife,s family long before he ever met her making it extremely likely he just made up the name of his father to suit.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Andrew

If you had mentioned that there was a very long thread on another forum I would ha e picked up several important pieces of information, not least of which is that you have his exact date of birth and his mother's name on his death certificate. His mother's name is given as Mary Leigh.

Armed with that information I immediately found the marriage of Mary Eccles to Peter Shevelan Leigh in 1919 at Preston. I then found Peter's death in 1955 aged 78 in Fulwood and Mary,s death in 1970 aged 93, date of birth 15 July 1876. Buy this marriage certificate and this will tell you who her father was.

You can also look for this couple in 1939 which will confirm her maiden name and her date of birth.

You also failed to mention that the name Mitchell was used by his wife,s family long before he ever met her making it extremely likely he just made up the name of his father to suit.

OC
      OC. Nowhere on his death cert doe's it mention his mothers name??? He would have appeared to have started using the name "Mitchell" after leaving the army and before he married Emily. On his marriage cert it states his name as MITCHELL and his fathers name the same with mothers name MARY ECCLES nis LEIGH.
      As i stated on my first post it was thought that both these names were made up and i was trying to establish if that was the case. HE has also gone under the names MITCHELL JOHN WILLIAM & JOHN MITCHELL WILLIAM. There has been so much misinformation regarding his life that at times it's been like knitting with spaghetti.

Comment

OC.
        I think the following could be a likely scenario given what you put above. 1/ that the transcriber of the register got Mary's names mixed up so it should have been MARY LEIGH nis ECCLES and not as put MARY ECCLES nis LEIGH. If Mary's farther is Michael as i put earlier (he was a farmer/gardener) and to save any embarrassment over being illegitimate he used his "new" name of Mitchell and grandfathers profession.

Andrew

Comment

I now know who MARY ECCELS parents are in the shape of Richard Eccles B1835 Wyresdale Lancashire and Mary Carter B 1840 Fulwood Lancashire. I've also found Richards parents in the shape of George Eccles B 1811 Nether Wyesdale and Nancy Heap B 1815 Cabus Lancashire. They are on the 1841 census along with who i take to be brothers/sister (at another address) to George in the shape of Thomas B 1807, Betty B 1816 & James B 1826.
          Is there anything on the Lancs records to show if they are and if there are any other family mentioned?

Comment

Andrew.

You say you now know who Mary Eccles parents are. Did you buy her marriage certificate?

OC

Comment

Ye OC i have the certificate along with a copy of John William (Mitchell) birth cert.

Andrew

Comment

Excellent. I had already identified Richard Eccles as her possible father.

I cannot see a marriage for George Eccles to Nancy Heap. Where did you find that?

Does JWEs birth cert give any clues to his father? Address of birth, etc?

OC

Comment

Re George/Nancy, i got it from a family history but taking a look at it again i think it's more likely to be NANCY SWARBRICK in 1833 and not Heap.
                  JWE birth leaves the father blank and i'm almost certain it is in fact my g/Grandfather Raymond Furniss. Birth is 12th feb 1894 21 Harold Street Preston.

Andrew

Comment

The workhouse admission register may name his father. Otherwise DNA testing is probably your only hope of proof.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X