No announcement yet.

Search for Grandfather's records.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've asked whether they might be willing to exchange information. VMT.

Comment

• Thanks Margaret, for that hefty Ancestry grouping. When I fathom out how to 'deploy' them, like Jacob Zuma's 'cadres', everything might start to fit into shape. There's an impressive but as yet unconnected Parker tribe for the very first time! Seeing them set against the Hibberts is startling: it made me think of Old Testament mass human transplants! By the way, I've had my DNA read-out: it seems, according to expensive but taciturn American scientists, that I'm of European ethnicity - 46+% British/Irish, 36+% Scandinavian and 13+% Iberian. The tiny remnant was 'Western Asian', which raised an eyebrow! Now that's SO USEFUL for my family tree isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker View Post
        Thanks Margaret, for that hefty Ancestry grouping. When I fathom out how to 'deploy' them, like Jacob Zuma's 'cadres', everything might start to fit into shape. There's an impressive but as yet unconnected Parker tribe for the very first time! Seeing them set against the Hibberts is startling: it made me think of Old Testament mass human transplants! By the way, I've had my DNA read-out: it seems, according to expensive but taciturn American scientists, that I'm of European ethnicity - 46+% British/Irish, 36+% Scandinavian and 13+% Iberian. The tiny remnant was 'Western Asian', which raised an eyebrow! Now that's SO USEFUL for my family tree isn't it?
        Well, yes the ancestry DNA test does not tell you an awful lot.

What it will do will be to match you to others who have their DNA results on the site also. So the Hibberts might yet get a shock themselves!

At least you have quite a bit of British in you whereas others I have heard find they have very little to their great surprise!

Margaret

Comment

• The other thing to remember about DNA testing is that it is important to understand how to interpret the results.

"Western Asian" doesn't necessarily mean you have ancestors from Western Asia, it just means you share some DNA with those who do, which only really means you have a distant ancestor who had descendants now found in you AND descendants now found in Western Asia. I hope that makes sense.

OC

Comment

• Thanks but not really! Your explanation is clear but I'm not sure we're understanding the message and useful applications that DNA results can bring, if skilfully applied. Not that I understand either! But I'm going to find someone who does - predictably the MH DNA team point you towards yet more brilliant and even more costly laboratories that can explain your ethnicity further. What I need dissuading from is my belief that ancient [thousands of years] wandering groups brought ethnic traces across the world and preferred not to marry or co-habit outside their own imported society? So a discernible likeness persisted in at least two global regions? Living in Africa reveals how Indians here - very broadly speaking, since the code is slowly disintegrating with multi-ethnic education and workplace - were brought here to cut cane 150 years ago. The indentured 150,000 has grown to nearly 2,000,000, within which 90% remain 'intermarried.' The point is that the 'DNA's Indian Sub-Continent' ethnicity ID must be evident in at least 30% of South Africa's non-black population. So unless you're more clinical with your DNA interpretation, demography rather than ethnicity can muddle your geographical assessment.

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              Well, yes the ancestry DNA test does not tell you an awful lot.

What it will do will be to match you to others who have their DNA results on the site also. So the Hibberts might yet get a shock themselves!

At least you have quite a bit of British in you whereas others I have heard find they have very little to their great surprise!

Margaret
              Hello Margaret. Long time no hear! Just wondered whether you'd heard any Hibbert stirrings? I've been working away on my maternal side on MyHeritage, especially with the Warwicks, who seem to have filled up Australia! I've now found three distant cousins related through Warwick [my maternal grandmother] and Oscroft [mother's first husband] connections, which is rewarding. But both Hibberts and Parkers are shunted against the buffers, which is depressing. I cannot square with the Hibbert attitude: it seems genealogy brings enthusiasm and happiness to some but shame and depression to others. Get in touch by email if you wish.

Keep smiling,

Jim. x.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker View Post
                Hello Margaret. Long time no hear! Just wondered whether you'd heard any Hibbert stirrings? I've been working away on my maternal side on MyHeritage, especially with the Warwicks, who seem to have filled up Australia! I've now found three distant cousins related through Warwick [my maternal grandmother] and Oscroft [mother's first husband] connections, which is rewarding. But both Hibberts and Parkers are shunted against the buffers, which is depressing. I cannot square with the Hibbert attitude: it seems genealogy brings enthusiasm and happiness to some but shame and depression to others. Get in touch by email if you wish.

Keep smiling,

Jim. x.
                Hi Jim,
                I had a brief exchange with the lady on ancestry but she had only just come back from holiday and was straight into a major refurbishment of her house I have have left her be for the moment but will contact her again soon to see how's she getting on.
                I do feel though that she is not really going to be as helpful as the Parkers we found in Urmston/Manchester etc. I will have another think about a different strategy and direction of attack.
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X