Recommended Anti Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Anti Virus

I've been using microsoft essentials but its being discontinued so need something pretty urgent thanks

Where did you read that it's being discontinued? I can't find anything that says that.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

when started the pc today Wendy it said it was being discontinued so I looked on microsoft and it says that there tooend of.JPG this is part of it on the home page

actually just re-read it and it says it will no longer support windows XP ? which I dont have so why is it not letting me update
      Last edited by Guest; 10-01-17, 19:32.

Comment

Hi Val

You must be using Vista like me. I looked on the Microsoft Community Forum yesterday and it says that it was a mistake by Microsoft and they would be sending out an update for Vista users only to put it right. Apparently we should be covered until April 2017 when support will stop. However I've looked this morning and nothing seems to have changed yet. How frustrating. I look at my Ancestry page and it says it's an unsecure connection.

I will have to bite the bullet and get a new PC I think!

Bev
        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Hi Bev yes I am using Vista, this PC works so well now dont see the need to change, but I was very worried about that message, so uninstalled it and have installed Avast for now ,which has very good reviews, its not worth hanging on till April, may as well sort it now.

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
            Hi Val

You must be using Vista like me. I looked on the Microsoft Community Forum yesterday and it says that it was a mistake by Microsoft and they would be sending out an update for Vista users only to put it right. Apparently we should be covered until April 2017 when support will stop. However I've looked this morning and nothing seems to have changed yet. How frustrating. I look at my Ancestry page and it says it's an unsecure connection.

I will have to bite the bullet and get a new PC I think!

Bev
            No need to get a new computer just yet - simply install Free AVG - make sure it is the free version you instal and not the free trial of their paid program. That will keep you safe from virus attacks.

Margaret

Comment

what do you think of Avast Margaret? I used AVG years ago and found it made my pc slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                what do you think of Avast Margaret? I used AVG years ago and found it made my pc slow.
                I use Avast Val, much prefer it to AVG.
                Elaine

Comment

AVG is now owned by Avast
                  https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

thanks Elaine , it seems okay so far, is that right Grim, must be good then thanks

Comment

I have recently moved from AVG to Avast because I was fed up with getting daily popups from AVG wanting me to pay to upgrade. At least Avast is a free site so hopefully that has removed that problem.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I am a bit worried it will be enough, so may upgrade, I also will run Superantispyware and Malwarebytes regularly.

Comment

Avast is good, we use it. Had to lose my vista sadly so had to buy a computer with windows 10 on it: removed the McAfeee and installed Avast.
                          We use spywareBlaster, too.
                          Last edited by Joy Dean; 14-01-17, 14:02.
                          Joy

Comment

why did you have to lose Vista Joy? I was going to change this, but after having a good sort out touch wood its great now.

Comment

why did you have to lose Vista Joy? I was going to change this, but after having a good sort out touch wood its great now.
                              Unfortunately the hard drive failed, then a refurbished hard drive was put in by a local computer man - but with no guarantee how long it would last - and the refurbished one failed.
                              Joy

Comment

oh that's a shame, I am putting off upgrading mine.

Comment

oh that's a shame, I am putting off upgrading mine.
                                  Keep your vista as long as you can I loved it.
                                  Last edited by Joy Dean; 14-01-17, 19:36.
                                  Joy

Comment

its great when things work right ;)

Comment

My computer crashed last night - I put it down to the cold weather - our water had been cut off so no radiators - no hot water in taps, no toilets could be flushed!
                                      It was (the water) restored by midnight - fault at some water plant!
                                      Firefox said hard drive was the problem on the computer and new one needed!
                                      Computer was restored by husband who was extremely patient with it - don't know what he did (probably spoke to it in anglo saxon) but it is up and running and seems fine

Comment

my husband would not know what to do if mine went wrong, he does not even know how to turn it on,seriously I bought him a tablet to practice on , about a year ago and he still cannot do emails.

Comment

Working...
                                        X