Where do you find your photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you find your photos?

I've been doing my family tree but I don't have photos of them, is there anyway of finding them online or is it just the case that they have all been handed down to you through the years?

It is a bit of both really, most of the time it will be photos passed down through the family.
    Sometimes there will be photos in newspapers or even from such things as prison records, at other times your ancestors could be prominent in the community and had their portraits painted or photos of them taken and retained in libraries and archives.

One thing I have learnt over 60 plus years research is never give up hope.

For instance about two years ago I was contacted by someone who attended a church a distant relation of mine paid to have built.
    I had known the couple concerned had paid for the building of one church but not this other (I had not done much research on them).

From that I was contacted by the minister of the church in question and invited to attend the 100th anniversary of the church on 10th May 2015 which I gladly accepted.

A second huge surprise was being presented with a loose leaf folder of over two hundred pages of history including wills, copies of portraits and copies of certificates and parish register entries of this family from the 19th back to the 18th century basically around one hundred years of interesting research.
    Absolutely fantastic and for once I was speechless, I was so overcome it took me a minute or so even to voice a thank you.

I repeat never give up hope you don’t know what is round the next corner.

Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Connecting with cousins. I have shared copies of photos and documents from ancestors - and I have received them too - including receiving a photo of my grandmother and her sister in what is probably their home circa 1905. Very kind of my cousin to give me the photos.

Also, trees on Ancestry and other gen sites sometimes have photos.

Keep networking!

Comment

Like ,I suspect many others, when I first started my family history research I simply trawled the internet to see how far back In could get. Then, having reached brick walls, I reversed the process and, starting from my paternal great grandfather, attempted to identify as many of his descendants as I could. This lead me discover a number of previously unknown "cousins" with whom I then made contact. Some did not respond, but several did and were willing to share material and memories held by there families. This included many old documents and photographs which has given me quite an archive and which I am now compiling into an illustrated family history.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
          It is a bit of both really, most of the time it will be photos passed down through the family.
          Sometimes there will be photos in newspapers or even from such things as prison records, at other times your ancestors could be prominent in the community and had their portraits painted or photos of them taken and retained in libraries and archives.

One thing I have learnt over 60 plus years research is never give up hope.

For instance about two years ago I was contacted by someone who attended a church a distant relation of mine paid to have built.
          I had known the couple concerned had paid for the building of one church but not this other (I had not done much research on them).

From that I was contacted by the minister of the church in question and invited to attend the 100th anniversary of the church on 10th May 2015 which I gladly accepted.

A second huge surprise was being presented with a loose leaf folder of over two hundred pages of history including wills, copies of portraits and copies of certificates and parish register entries of this family from the 19th back to the 18th century basically around one hundred years of interesting research.
          Absolutely fantastic and for once I was speechless, I was so overcome it took me a minute or so even to voice a thank you.

I repeat never give up hope you don’t know what is round the next corner.

Cheers
          Guy
          How wonderful for you, Guy.

... and I would echo Guy's response...
          and keep an open mind...
          be prepared to think that a research route in one bit of the tree might be applicable in another part (a technique for a contemporary part of my mother's tree opened up something in my father's tree)...
          try using general web-searches for a name: you might find a fellow researcher that way (as I did for my OH's tree and, through her generosity, suddenly had three generations back, and a whole lot of "sideways" names, plus copies of diaries)...
          remember that researching indirect names might give you direct information (finding siblings living with the next generation back, about whom you hadn't known, say)
          ...basically keep an open mind!

C
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wow Guy, that's amazing!

I researched my mother in law's family about 6 years ago. I got back as far as I could then gave up as I had a small child who took all my time. For some reason I was just checking her names again on Ancestry and someone has put up photos of her grandmother, great grandparents and great great grandfather! It has made a 70+ year old very happy. It's just a shame that the person who posted them won't reply to my messages! I am sure they are right though as he is related from a sister of her grandmother and all the photos have names on (from his mum/grandmother), and some are of her aunts who she remembers and has the same photos!

I just wish I was as lucky on my side!
            :D Charney Jo

Comment

A hint on FB has drawn this interesting page to my attention - clearly of huge potential for genealogy!:

Now I'm off to see if there's anything comparable on other search engines...
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

google search

This contact was very useful, even though it didn't produce any tangible results. I'mean sure it will be helpful others,thanks for suggesting it. There was a contact on here last year I believe re: WO Vincent Crosby. If possible I' do like to get in touch once again as new info has been found. Cal

Comment

I agree with the above posts, you just never know what you will find.

I was absolutely stunned when a contact told me quite casually that he had a photo of our mutual 2 x ggm, taken in 1859. Never in a million years would I have imagined such a thing existed, let alone searched for it!

OC

Comment

Wherever I can! I find that photos are one of my favorite parts of genealogy. It really brings the people in the family tree to life in a big way. If I were you, I would contact every relative you can think of and just ask..it can't hurt! Newspapers, annals, periodicals, etc are also a good resource. I've found a lot of great photos in these types of collections.

Comment

You just never know. OH has a branch of her family with a surname that had been transformed by the addition of a hyphenated 'add-on', and then the added part became the regular surname. The original name has often been used as a second forename. One evening I decided to watch a police programme on TV - one where they requested information on various miscreants, and showed photos. Sure enough, the magic name came up complete with his photo and 'numberplate' It does not hold pride of place in her family tree!

SS

Comment

Working...
                      X