Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    oh my!

Thank you Darran for the snippits of info, I had been busy with other Foulds' lines and then drifted off into other realms of my tree. I will delve a little more today to see if I can spot anything else and recap where I got to. :smilee: welcome to the forum.
    Thankyou. I am gradually attempting to trace all Squire (s) families in and around Woodhouse Eaves and hopefully connect as many as possible. There are other surnames which keep popping up including Foulds, Wainwright, Whatnall and others. Ive traced a few lines of these names also.

Yes, Find My Past digitised a large number of Leicestershire records about 12 months back. Well worth a look. Ive confirmed a couple of suspected links with some of the records available.

Comment

Originally posted by DarranK View Post
      Thankyou. I am gradually attempting to trace all Squire (s) families in and around Woodhouse Eaves and hopefully connect as many as possible. There are other surnames which keep popping up including Foulds, Wainwright, Whatnall and others. Ive traced a few lines of these names also.

Yes, Find My Past digitised a large number of Leicestershire records about 12 months back. Well worth a look. Ive confirmed a couple of suspected links with some of the records available.
      I seem to recall the name wainwright in my tree too as well as foulds. I haven't had much time to work on my tree of late as family life seems to have taken on a whole new course. This week coming is half term so doubt I'll get much of a chance to have a look.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've stumbled across this discussion, and find it fascinating. I've come into the Woodhouse Eaves Squires via William Princep Squire (b. Woodhouse Eaves 24.05.1831), the son of Baptists Joseph Squire (1806-1858) and Ann Princep (1803-?). This Joseph was, as far as I can see, the younger brother of John (1804-1858), who married Hannah Foulds in 1821; they were sons of John Squire (1780-?) and Dorothy Foulds (1780-?). Does this tie in with what others have concluded?

I, too, am trying to do family reconstructions of the Squire and Foulds families, but it's like a jigsaw with lots of identical pieces and quite a few missing. I'm interested in comparing notes if people want to DM me!

(William Princep Squire seems to have died early, leaving children, and his wife, Mary Wear[e] remarried. At this point the scene shifts, with several name changes, to New Zealand and Tasmania . . . )

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Lyall View Post
          I've stumbled across this discussion, and find it fascinating. I've come into the Woodhouse Eaves Squires via William Princep Squire (b. Woodhouse Eaves 24.05.1831), the son of Baptists Joseph Squire (1806-1858) and Ann Princep (1803-?). This Joseph was, as far as I can see, the younger brother of John (1804-1858), who married Hannah Foulds in 1821; they were sons of John Squire (1780-?) and Dorothy Foulds (1780-?). Does this tie in with what others have concluded?

I, too, am trying to do family reconstructions of the Squire and Foulds families, but it's like a jigsaw with lots of identical pieces and quite a few missing. I'm interested in comparing notes if people want to DM me!

(William Princep Squire seems to have died early, leaving children, and his wife, Mary Wear[e] remarried. At this point the scene shifts, with several name changes, to New Zealand and Tasmania . . . )
          Hello Rod,

I have just seen your reply and I have been looking in my tree, I do have John & Dorothy and their sons Joseph, John and James.

I haven't done any work really on this side for quite a long time as other lines took over. I do have a tree that I think is viewable which you are more than welcome to look around

though from looking at my tree it would appear that I have John Squire b.1801 marrying Mary Wainwright in 1822.

but I can agree with you 100% that this family is a nightmare.
          Julie

Comment

Rod, I've seen that your John Squire was b.1804 do you have a baptism for him?

I'm having a nosey around Ancestry, I have found a death for Josiah Squire s/of John and Mary [Wainwright] Squire in 1906 in Michigan [not that it helps you though!]

Julie

Comment

It's looking like John Squire and Mary Wainwright went to Canada, I have found John there in 1851/1861/1871. though it is looking like Mary Wainwright Squire dies sometime between 1851/1861 as in 1861 John is married to a Margaret ? that was Irish. Haven't found a marriage yet though.
              Julie

Comment

It's looking like John Squire and Mary Wainwright went to Canada, I have found John there in 1851/1861/1871. though it is looking like Mary Wainwright Squire dies sometime between 1851/1861 as in 1861 John is married to a Margaret ? that was Irish. Haven't found a marriage yet though.
                Have quite lost myself in the records today, Margaret [wife number #2] was Margaret Ann Gilpin, though I haven't found a marriage for her and John, I also haven't found a death for Mary Wainwright Squire, [but tbh I haven't looked that much BUT all of the hints I have been getting are for Margaret and not Mary]
                Julie

Comment

I'm suspecting that they lived together as though they were married but not officially married, if that makes sense!
                  Julie

Comment

Now you ask me, I don't think I can justify that 1804 date with absolute certainty. I guess the principal source is the Woodhouse Eaves Methodist register:

https://search.findmypast.com.au/rec...G4/1444/0/0011, or

But that's a problem: how can John and Dorothy (well, specifically Dorothy) have children on 9 June and 9 October of the same year? Either there were two John and Dorothy Squireses, or one of the dates is wrong.

The Loughborough register is probably right:

and looking again, I see that what I read as a 4 is more probably a 1.

So 1801 it is!

Comment

That also makes more sense of his marriage to Hannah Foulds in 1821!

Comment

John and Hannah figure in the census from 1841 onwards. And they have a son John Foulds Squire. But I guess you believe it's a different John Squire?

To be fair, John's age in 1851 (58) argues against his being the son of John and Dorothy. But I can't find a John Squire born in Woodhouse Eaves around 1793.

Comment

Hmmn The baptism for John says that he was born Oct 9th 1801 and baptised Dec 3rd 1806

and on the other one:

John s/of John & Dorothy born 9th October 1806 and bapt 3rd Dec 1806

I think that it's most likely that 'someone' read the dates wrong.

I need to have a look at my Leicestershire discs..
                          Julie

Comment

John and Hannah figure in the census from 1841 onwards. And they have a son John Foulds Squire. But I guess you believe it's a different John Squire?

To be fair, John's age in 1851 (58) argues against his being the son of John and Dorothy. But I can't find a John Squire born in Woodhouse Eaves around 1793.
                            Not even sure which way is up atm! I do remember John Foulds Squire too.. will have a butchers to see if I can spot him.
                            Julie

Comment

Not even sure which way is up atm! I do remember John Foulds Squire too.. will have a butchers to see if I can spot him.

RH page second from bottom. If you look in the Master Foulds Tree [link on #44] you can search on there for John Foulds Squire and it'll show what I have found.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were two Dorothy Foulds marrying in Woodhouse one was 24th June 1783 to Thomas Haddon by Banns

and the other:

Dorothy Foulds OTPO Woodhouse 21st April 1799 to John Squire by Banns
                              Julie

Comment

this family are a nightmare! fingers crossed you can see that? and there appears to be TWO John squires b. 1801!!! could this get any better????
                                Julie

Comment

this family are a nightmare! fingers crossed you can see that? and there appears to be TWO John squires b. 1801!!! could this get any better????
                                  I should have kept my trap shut 3 yes 3 Benjamin Squires!!! It might be that the John Squires I have wasn't the son of John & Dorothy BUT the son of Benjamin & Ann.. BUT there are two Benjamins marrying two Anns one in 1786 and one in 1787 BOTP of Woodhouse.. Ann Foulds in 1786 and Ann Cramp in 1787, it doesn't however mention if he was a widower upon his marriage to Ann Cramp.......confused? yep, me too!

Julie

Comment

Just had a bit of a think:

John Squires marries Mary Wainwright 11th Nov 1822 @ woodhouse

and a John SQUIRE marries an Elizabeth Wainwright 1816 @ Woodhouse

Now which Wainwright is the mother to Benjamin/Rowland/Sarah/Josiah/Jesse/John and Amos?

I can say that Jesse and Amos both have the MMN of WAINWRIGHT but only buying the cert/Pdf would be 100% positive to which one it is.

and as this is only a sideline I don't really want to be buying certs/pdfs.
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-04-21, 13:01.
                                    Julie

Comment

Not sure if you are aware Rod but if you subscribe to this thread you'll get notified when there is a reply.. to subscribe you need to click on the 'Subscribe' word top right hand corner of this page.

Julie

Comment

Mary from Italy hmmmn so this Amos isn't yours then?

SQUIRE, AMOS [MMN WAINWRIGHT]
                                        GRO Reference: 1845 M Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 29

poooooooooooooooooo
                                        Julie

Comment

Not sure if you are aware Rod but if you subscribe to this thread you'll get notified when there is a reply.. to subscribe you need to click on the 'Subscribe' word top right hand corner of this page.
                                          No, I wasn't! Thanks for the tip!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X