Birth on GRO no Mothers name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth on GRO no Mothers name

why would a mothers maiden name not been mentioned?

Probably because mother was unmarried?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The ones I have seen, where I know the child is illegitimate from the baptism, just have a dash where the mmn would be. I think this comes from the digital transcription where no father is on the certificate. It does NOT happen if the mmn is the same as the father's. In that case the name is listed.
      Anne

Comment

Val

If you are talking about the new GRO indexes then mmn is not shown if the mother is unmarried. In other words, there is no father's name on the cert.

This is different from the old indexes which didn't make it obvious that there was no father's name on the cert.

OC

Comment

aha interesting thanks everybody yes OC thats what I was looking at.

Comment

I Have found something slightly different. My gr grandmother had 3 illegitimate children. Twins, father named on certs as William Hartley & a son 3 years later father named on cert as Thomas Wright. In all cases the mother is named as just Lydia Limmer. I obtained these certs years ago when the indexes were kept at St Catherine's House. I can do a search on Ancestry or FreeBMD & there are 2 listings for each child, Limmer & Hartley & Limmer & Wright but in the new GRO indexes there is only one listing in the fathers' surnames & a blank for mmn.
            Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              The ones I have seen, where I know the child is illegitimate from the baptism, just have a dash where the mmn would be. I think this comes from the digital transcription where no father is on the certificate. It does NOT happen if the mmn is the same as the father's. In that case the name is listed.
              Anne
              I have a Squire that married a Squire so the MMN in the index is same as her MN... :conf:
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, Julie, that's what I was trying to say! LOL
                Anne

Comment

Well, I have a birth certificate that clearly shows the mother's former name but when I did a 'trial run' on the new GRO index her name wasn't listed, so tried a few more for the same registration district and none of them showed mother's maiden name.

Is GRO still in the process of transcribing some registration districts?
                  Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    I Have found something slightly different. My gr grandmother had 3 illegitimate children. Twins, father named on certs as William Hartley & a son 3 years later father named on cert as Thomas Wright. In all cases the mother is named as just Lydia Limmer. I obtained these certs years ago when the indexes were kept at St Catherine's House. I can do a search on Ancestry or FreeBMD & there are 2 listings for each child, Limmer & Hartley & Limmer & Wright but in the new GRO indexes there is only one listing in the fathers' surnames & a blank for mmn.
                    Moggie
                    It appears that GRO haven't followed the earlier convention of indexing the children of unmarried parents (where both are named) under both surnames, and have just used the father's name, and show the maiden name as blank. This is technically more correct, because an unmarried woman has no maiden name, but is a shame for researchers.

Ultimately, taking any info just from an index entry involves some level of guesswork and assumption - the only way to establish the full information is to get a copy of the register entry itself.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                      Well, I have a birth certificate that clearly shows the mother's former name but when I did a 'trial run' on the new GRO index her name wasn't listed, so tried a few more for the same registration district and none of them showed mother's maiden name.

Is GRO still in the process of transcribing some registration districts?
                      The transcriptions of the birth registers was done some time ago.

As one of the beta testers for the new index system, I'd be interested in the details of that (and an image of the certificate you have if possible). If it is an error, I will feed it back to GRO.
                      Last edited by AntonyM; 12-12-16, 10:54.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I'd be interested in the details (and an image of the certificate you have)
                        AntonyM : I'll PM you with info
                        Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Working...
                        X