Ancestry acting odd..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Julie I never realised about turning that off either
    if I could understand that Anne it would be terrific, where is the click on update on chrome ??

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      I use Chrome with no particular problems (apart from occasional slowness) BUT I never search from a person's page. I usually have several tabs open, one with the tree on and another Ancestry one to do the searching on, as well as tabs for FMP, FreeBMD, FamilySearch etc. when I want to search for something about a person I go to the other tabs to do it. If I need to link it to the tree I can do it on the 'search' Ancestry tab and then go back to the 'dedicated' tree tab click on update (on the Chrome heading) and it fills in the new info.
      Anne
      lol!! I currently have 31 tabs open 23 of those are Ancestry!! :smilee:
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        Thanks for that Julie I never realised about turning that off either
        if I could understand that Anne it would be terrific, where is the click on update on chrome ??
        I'm pretty sure that Anne means she finds the info in a regular Ancestry search saves it to her tree and then goes back to to the 'tree page' and refreshes the page with the circular arrow top left on browser, this then adds the info that has already been saved from the other page.

does that make sense Val?
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-12-16, 19:38.
        Julie

Comment

gulp NO

Comment

ok, you have two ancestry pages up.. A. is for the searches B. is your tree

goto A, do the search for the relative say 'Joe Soap' [that is already in your tree] you find him on the census and you click on him to view the census, you then save that census.

goto B, and you already have Joe in your tree [but missing the census you have just saved on other page]

on the Tree page, look at the top left on your browser, you can even see it on here, [it's an arrow that forms a circle] if you click on that whilst on tree page it 'refreshes' the page and then your new census for Joe will appear.

does that seem any clearer?
            Julie

Comment

you wont believe this but I have never used that half circle lol thanks Julie

Comment

you wont believe this but I have never used that half circle lol thanks Julie
                every day is a school day :smilee:
                Julie

Comment

I use Chrome with no particular problems (apart from occasional slowness) BUT I never search from a person's page. I usually have several tabs open, one with the tree on and another Ancestry one to do the searching on, as well as tabs for FMP, FreeBMD, FamilySearch etc. when I want to search for something about a person I go to the other tabs to do it. If I need to link it to the tree I can do it on the 'search' Ancestry tab and then go back to the 'dedicated' tree tab click on update (on the Chrome heading) and it fills in the new info.
                  Anne
                  I do sometimes have several tabs open for searching especially if I want to remind myself of the facts for a person - usually someone else's tree!

Searching from the person's profile saves having to retype the details however I often edit the details to exclude maiden names or marred names depending on what I am trying to find.

Margaret

Comment

23 tabs Julie!! Gulp! Maybe your probs come from that??
                    Thanks for explaining 'refresh' ...... the word was hiding in a recess of my brain and wouldn't come out.LOL
                    Anne

Comment

23 tabs Julie!! Gulp! Maybe your probs come from that??
                      Thanks for explaining 'refresh' ...... the word was hiding in a recess of my brain and wouldn't come out.LOL
                      Anne
                      Like Margaret I have so many tabs open so I can remind myself and of the facts, and also as I am atm trying to figure out which John Squire/s actually is mine and married Hannah Foulds. I currently have 3 different John Squire/s that all come from Barrow on Soar/Woodhouse Eaves/Quorndon they also all were born around the same time and married at roughly the same time. [and also had children with the same/similar names!]

I am following one family at the moment and they end up in Saginaw, Illinois which is where a Foulds' family end up [coincidence?] or related? seems a pretty small corner of the world for it not to be connected.
                      Julie

Comment

this is a daft question but does having so many tabs open use up memory?

Comment

this is a daft question but does having so many tabs open use up memory?
                          I have no idea Val!
                          Julie

Comment

The problem I have with Ancestry is I can a have person open and try to add a child and the Add button just won't work - I have to navigate to another person and then go back again - same with in I've been in hints and want to go back to facts sometimes it just freezes and the little circle just goes round and round ad infinitum. V V frustrating.
                            Last edited by Bo the Bodger; 11-12-16, 17:59.
                            Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
                              The problem I have with Ancestry is I can a have person open and try to add a child and the Add button just won't work - I have to navigate to another person and then go back again - same with in I've been in hints and want to go back to facts sometimes it just freezes and the little circle just goes round and round ad infinitum. V V frustrating.
                              that sounds like for some reason your page isn't refreshing as it should, have you tried it with a different browser Bo?
                              Julie

Comment

No I haven't - I use Safari - being a bit of a luddite I wouldn't know how to use a different browser....
                                Bo

Comment

No I haven't - I use Safari - being a bit of a luddite I wouldn't know how to use a different browser....
                                  hmmn not sure what other browsers there are for Macs.. :conf:
                                  Julie

Comment

I know - it is the same for family history programmes as well
                                    Bo

Comment

I know - it is the same for family history programmes as well
                                      you can use 'Family Tree Maker' for mac,

browser wise: Firefox.>>Chrome.>>Opera.
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X