Help tracking down mysterious Ashman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunHoney View Post
    I looked for a FHC and there's one less than 10 from me. i am SO excited to go there!!
    Sometimes they require appointments - some of them are small, with limited resources. While they'll still have free computer access to various genealogy databases, their on-hand resources are usually limited to local references. If there are films you want to see, you'll need to order/request them.
    It looked to me like the FamilySearch catalog has the films for marriage licenses and certificates covering Herald's two marriages. You could request those films (if they'll loan them - I didn't check that on the catalog. Some are restricted to FHL only).
    Good luck!

Comment

This is mine: https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Tuc...History_Center

Looks like it's a good one. Thousands of books, computer programs, websites that usually require a fee, microfilm, personal consulting at no cost...my plan is to go in with as much info as I already have, get their advice, and start diving in headfirst. I'm sure with subsequent visits I'll get a good feel for it. I'm going week after next!
      Primarily researching Ashman (very focused on this uncommon surname in the USA!), Martin, Fowler, Munsell, and Huffman. Locations include Ohio, Oregon, Utah, California, Scotland, England, Germany, and Denmark.

Comment

And one of the ones in Phoenix area may be even bigger - your center will probably know.

Comment

I have always had the most marvellous help from my local family history centre and I could not have done most of my research without them, pre internet days.

OC

Comment

To everyone who helped me: thank you so much! I can finally close this thread because today the mystery is SOLVED!

I was very surprised to receive my grandfather's SS-5 so soon. I was literally jumping up and down in my living room with it!! He filled it out himself and included the full names of both his parents! If anyone is curious, they are Charles Edward Ashman and Jennie Smith. I've come across Charles E. Ashman in my research before so now I'll be focusing on whether it's the right one. I think it is, as many details fit.

I still don't know for sure if I've got the right mother for him, but I found a Jennie Smith on Find a Grave who died 1893 in Portland, Oregon. My grandpa would've been 5 yrs old at the time. This Charles I'm considering was married 3 times. I'm wondering if after Herald's mother died (IF this is her, which I think very likely it is) his dad remarried, perhaps he just became troubled and left home young.

This has made my whole day - my whole week! I just solved a nearly 100 year old mystery. At 85 years old, I'm finally able to have the honor of revealing to my 85 year old grandfather who his grandparents were. My dad had hired a pro genealogist who couldn't break down this brick wall. It's only through the help of others, like those in this forum, that I managed to figure this out. thank you all so much!!
            Primarily researching Ashman (very focused on this uncommon surname in the USA!), Martin, Fowler, Munsell, and Huffman. Locations include Ohio, Oregon, Utah, California, Scotland, England, Germany, and Denmark.

Comment

Congratulations! My g'grandfather's SS5 broke down a brick wall, too - and gave me a bit of his handwriting.

Comment

Working...
              X