£6 certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £6 certificates

Has anybody had any success in getting one.
    Or where to get them from ?
    DGJay

Think we may have to wait a few more weeks at least for these, which according to my understanding, will be available from the GRO
    See Antony's post (number 12) on the New Search Facility thread https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...earch-facility
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I saw that but I was going from the Lost Cousins Newsletter that it would be trialling from the 9th Nov for three weeks with max of 45000 certs at £6 each.

ps and Jill's post no 11
      Last edited by DgJay; 09-11-16, 08:02. Reason: addition
      DGJay

Comment

Originally posted by DgJay View Post
        I saw that but I was going from the Lost Cousins Newsletter that it would be trialling from the 9th Nov for three weeks with max of 45000 certs at £6 each.

http://lostcousins.com/newsletters2/...s.htm#PDFtrial
        That was the information sent out - but no time on the 9th was specified, and it is only a trial so may well be changed/cancelled or otherwise messed about with depending on how the system responds to the demand I would expect.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The £6 pdf option is now available - but it isn't an instant download. It works much like the system for ordering wills - it will be delivered via email later (showing as a week on the order I have just submitted).
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Ah well, and there was I hoping that I could save a pounds, when all I've done is lose my beauty sleep (which lets face it, I need).
            DGJay

Comment

Thankyou Antony, last two posts crossed, it all seems to be working as you say. Pdfs on their way as I speak.
              DGJay

Comment

Originally posted by DgJay View Post
                .... it all seems to be working as you say. Pdfs on their way as I speak.
                And for me!

STG
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I have just ordered one.

My estimated date of delivery is 17th November, which is still faster than regular mail.

bcbrit
                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Interesting to note that because these digital certificates are not certified you cannot use them in court to prove your right to an inheritance (or anything else). see this week's Lost Cousins Newsletter
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

How many people need that anyway? Also I think (don't have a cert to hand at the mo) the 'certified' ones all say on them that they are NOT to be used to prove identity, which I always think is funny ..... why 'certify' them if thst's the case?
                      Anne

Comment

I had bother last night finding a death for Eliza ACKERLEY. Over the years there have been various spellings turned up eg. ACKERLY and ACKLY and HACKERLY but I found her in the new GRO index as OCKERLEY.
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-11-16, 07:23.

Comment

I agree with Anne! A certificate is not proof of identity - but woe betide you if you cannot produce one!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                            How many people need that anyway? Also I think (don't have a cert to hand at the mo) the 'certified' ones all say on them that they are NOT to be used to prove identity, which I always think is funny ..... why 'certify' them if thst's the case?
                            Anne
                            They certify them to prove that they are an accurate copy of what was written in the relevant register at the time. This enables a certificate to be produced as evidence rather than the register itself having to be produced.
                            If you think about it no historic entry can be used as proof of identity as details change over time, addresses change and even names change (both male and female surnames are liable to change in time).

That is why here in the UK a number of documents including a photograph of the individual signed by a person of standing in the community who has known them for a number of years have to be produced to establish identity.

Cheers
                            Guy

PS I had to buy a new set of keys for my BMW a couple of years ago as the set I had would not arm the car alarm. The dealer refused to sell me a set as the rules from Germany demanded a photo driving licence (my licence is the old green paper type which I refuse to renew).
                            I told them to phone Germany and inform them if I was refused new key I would hold them liable if my car was stolen.
                            A new set of keys was sent from Germany (VoR) and given to me the following day.

Cheers
                            Guy
                            Last edited by Guy; 16-11-16, 08:17. Reason: added a ps
                            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

So far I have only ordered one of these PDF certificates, it arrived yesterday a few days before the date that I was given so that was nice. It was only for a child described on a census as 'grandchild', he had disappeared by the next census so I just wanted to know who his mother was which this certificate told me, so one loose end tidied up. If I were ordering for a direct ancestor I would probably still go for the 'proper' certificate.
                              Margaret

Comment

I ordered a PDF birth certificate on the 11th and was given a a date for the 17th.

It arrived yesterday, and I was pleased with the quality.

I was using the birth cert to see if I could pin the father down to a possible time of when he entered the army in WW1. The birth information was given by the grandmother, which I haven't seen on any of my certificates before. The baby died one month later, registered by the mother who gave her husband's rank, number and regiment.

Like Rusty, I think I would order the 'proper' cert for a closer family member, for two reasons. Easier to find because of the coloured paper, and less likely to be thrown away in a fit of trying to downsize paper copies.

bcbrit
                                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Anybody any idea when all dates will be available?
                                  My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I think they have them all now Paul. 1837 - 1915 mmn for births. The rest are on Free BMD. For Deaths they have the same. Marriages are not going to be done I understand. They have a problem they hope to fix re age of death for children under 1 year old which for example a 7 month/week/day old is showing at 7 years old.

Or do you mean when is the site going online permanently?
                                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-11-16, 17:23.
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The GRO is running 3 Pilot schemes, Phase 1 is currently running no dates yet for Phases 2 & 3

Pilot phase 1 (approx. three week duration)
                                      PDF copies of those civil registration records that are held by GRO in a digital format (i.e. birth entries recorded 1837 - 1934 and death entries recorded 1837 - 1957, in addition to those much more recent events captured electronically at point of registration, which include birth and death records registered 2007 onwards, civil partnership records registered December 2005 onwards, and marriages registered 2011 onwards). These PDFs will cost £6.
                                      Pilot phase 2 (approx. three week duration)
                                      PDF copies of all birth, death, marriage and civil partnership records, within 3 hours. These PDFs will cost £45.
                                      Pilot phase 3 (approx. four week duration)
                                      PDF copies of those civil registration entries that are not held by GRO in a digital format. These PDFs will cost £8.

Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I too was wondering why they are not up to date. Last night, I could only get deaths up to 1957.

Comment

Working...
                                        X