Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately need help finding this marriage record

Hi everyone

I would really appreciate some help tracking down a marriage record. Here is some background as to why.

A friends mother is in a nursing home. Her second husband was military and he is now deceased, but the VA have been dragging their feet with paying for her care as he was married before in the 1940's and they want proof of his previous marriage, even though his first wife was deceased in 1976. We have been looking for months, she had even hired a lawyer to assist her but they took her $$ and did nothing.

The marriage I am looking for is the following:-

Garland Finley b 30 June 1910 Hopkins Co, Kentucky and Emma Jean Cox b 14 January 1909 Guilford Co, N Carolina. In 1941 he entered the army and stated he was single. The earliest record I can find these two together is a street directory for 1948 in Owensboro, KY.

I think I have found a 1940 census return for Emma Jean Cox in Lowell, Gaston, North Carolina. I am not sure where exactly they both met or where they were married, but every search is coming up blank.

Any assistance anyone can provide is appreciated.

Mirry
    Mirry

Genealogy……. It’s not the size of the tree that matters, It’s the quality of the nuts you find on there

It doesn't help with the search for the first marriage but are you aware of this on findagrave which seems to be your man and the first wife you mention?

Her name is given as Emma Jean Allindar Finley, same DOB as your Emma Jean and same year of death - I'm guessing that Allindar could be a maiden name as it is italicised but I don't know what the source for it is, as it is not recorded on the accompanying gravestone photo. No mention of Cox.

Puzzling!

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Christine

Yes I found that info. I also reached out to some family members and they are unaware of the Allindar name, but am still awaiting any info for the marriage.

I'm just going round in circles with these two.

Mirry
      Mirry

Genealogy……. It’s not the size of the tree that matters, It’s the quality of the nuts you find on there

Comment

Hi,
        As you probably already know - US marriage records are usually held by county clerks, and lots of them are not indexed online. And you can't even be sure that he married in the US - did he serve overseas?

It appears from this record that when he married in 1985 to RHM that he thought he had never been married:

Do you know where he was living when he separated from his first wife? It might be simpler to locate divorce records, assuming that's what happened. But it sounds like the second marriage happened after the first wife died?? Not sure why the VA needs to know the date of the first marriage if you can prove that she was deceased before the second marriage.

It sounds like your friend's mother might be trying to apply for Aid and Attendance? I've been told multiple times that it's best to hire an attorney to supervise the process. Yes, you'll pay for it, but the approval of the application is more likely to happen, and it's faster than trying on your own.

Places I looked for the MC: genealogybank, ancestry, familysearch

good luck.
        sarah
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 30-10-16, 00:46.

Comment

would Emma's death certificate help? [not quite sure what US certs have on them!] parents names perhaps???

maybe he never did marry which is why no evidence can be found? maybe they lived together as though they were married and people presumed that was the case?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
            It doesn't help with the search for the first marriage but are you aware of this on findagrave which seems to be your man and the first wife you mention?

Her name is given as Emma Jean Allindar Finley, same DOB as your Emma Jean and same year of death - I'm guessing that Allindar could be a maiden name as it is italicised but I don't know what the source for it is, as it is not recorded on the accompanying gravestone photo. No mention of Cox.

Puzzling!

Christine
            I have been looking at this Christine, and No-where can I find an Emma Jean Allindar, I have however found an Emma Jean COX in N.Carolina with her parents in 1940 [and before] census,. interestingly she appears in 1948 as Emma J FINLEY. her occupation before 'married' was a teacher. so she might be listed as a teacher in the directories? [though she isn't in the 1948 one!]
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              would Emma's death certificate help? [not quite sure what US certs have on them!] parents names perhaps???
              Data elements on US death certs vary by state, but generally after about 1910 would include parents' names and places of birth - as known to the informant
              Privacy laws vary by state, too, so the record may not yet be available. You would most likely need to contact the county clerk. Many vital records are also available thru several online companies.

I've been suggesting newspapers because if you can find an announcement then you'd know where & when to look for the cert. Another online newspaper is http://newspaperarchive.com/ or just plain google. If you use the former, I believe you can get a free two week intro sub. Be sure to cancel before the sub is up, and save your cancellation receipt.

Comment

I have been looking at this Christine, and No-where can I find an Emma Jean Allindar, I have however found an Emma Jean COX in N.Carolina with her parents in 1940 [and before] census,. interestingly she appears in 1948 as Emma J FINLEY. her occupation before 'married' was a teacher. so she might be listed as a teacher in the directories? [though she isn't in the 1948 one!]
                Makes me wonder if her parents divorced, or her mother was widowed, and Emma Jean used her mother's second husband's surname. I've had relatives do that, even tho there was no official adoption

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                  Data elements on US death certs vary by state, but generally after about 1910 would include parents' names and places of birth - as known to the informant
                  Privacy laws vary by state, too, so the record may not yet be available. You would most likely need to contact the county clerk. Many vital records are also available thru several online companies.

I've been suggesting newspapers because if you can find an announcement then you'd know where & when to look for the cert. Another online newspaper is http://newspaperarchive.com/ or just plain google. If you use the former, I believe you can get a free two week intro sub. Be sure to cancel before the sub is up, and save your cancellation receipt.
                  ahh right Sarah.. I did see that there is a d/cert on Vital records to buy, wish I had put the link up now!.. [this was on Ancestry btw] my head isn't quite with it at the moment, but something doesn't sit quite right with the complete lack of info [and him saying that he hadn't been married previously]
                  Julie

Comment

aha! found it.

and praps order the last m/cert too.. would then confirm/deny the confusion about whether he was ever married previously?

Last edited by Darksecretz; 30-10-16, 15:14.
                    Julie

Comment

there is a Garland Finlay divorce in Florida in 1961 to Emma Brown

nope that's a different one I think

Last edited by Darksecretz; 30-10-16, 15:33.
                      Julie

Comment

See bottom line of this transcription of 2nd marriage from FMP. Plus the gravestone inscription re the two of them "Together forever" is not suggestive of divorce.

First name(s) Garland R
                        Last name Finley
                        Race White
                        Age 75
                        Birth year 1910
                        Residence Daviess
                        Year 1985
                        Month Dec
                        Day 21
                        County Daviess
                        State Kentucky
                        Spouse's first name(s) -
                        Spouse's last name -
                        Spouse's race White
                        Spouse's age 65
                        Spouse's residence Daviess
                        Groom's marital status Last marriage ended by death

I would be tempted to get in touch with the findagrave contributor to see what they might know, as I am puzzled as to where they have got Allindar from as part of her name.

Christine
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                          See bottom line of this transcription of 2nd marriage from FMP. Plus the gravestone inscription re the two of them "Together forever" is not suggestive of divorce.

First name(s) Garland R
                          Last name Finley
                          Race White
                          Age 75
                          Birth year 1910
                          Residence Daviess
                          Year 1985
                          Month Dec
                          Day 21
                          County Daviess
                          State Kentucky
                          Spouse's first name(s) -
                          Spouse's last name -
                          Spouse's race White
                          Spouse's age 65
                          Spouse's residence Daviess
                          Groom's marital status Last marriage ended by death

I would be tempted to get in touch with the findagrave contributor to see what they might know, as I am puzzled as to where they have got Allindar from as part of her name.

Christine
                          Yep i'd agree with that too, re Allindar...

to me though this implies he was previously married as 'ended by death' but then he states never was married, so, to me this implies he was living with as though married. I suspect that the certs would clear any 'issues' up ?

something just doesn't 'sit' right though, why be buried with someone you lived with as though married and not be buried with your actual 'wife' or husband? would there have been a will?? [maybe this stated that he wanted to be buried with Emma?]
                          Julie

Comment

Just to throw some more confusion into the mix...there is a Thelma Jean Finley born 1930 Kentucky with mother Emma Allindar.

But her father is a Chester Finley and the mother Emma Allindar is 47 in 1940 census meaning she was born circa 1893 so can't be the first wife as mentioned in your original post.

Here's part of Thelma's obit from http://web1.lovinghonors.com/cgi-bin...om+102+17+2932
                            Mrs. Thelma Jean Brackett, 82, of Madisonville, KY passed away Sunday, October 28th, 2012 at Regional Medical Center.

She was born January 20, 1930 in Hopkins Co., KY to the late Chester Finley and Emma Allinder Finley. She was also preceded by one sister, Agnes Keene.

She's also on findagrave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=99967002

It's the only Allindar/Finley connection I can find - Allindar is very unusual and doesn't throw up much in searches. My head is spinning now as I have no idea how or even IF there is any connection...
                            Good luck!
                            Last edited by Karamazov; 30-10-16, 16:41.
                            Researching:

Comment

I think someone has presumed that Emma Jean was Emma Allindar and not Emma Jean Cox! but supposition is a dangerous thing!
                              Julie

Comment

I think someone has presumed that Emma Jean was Emma Allindar and not Emma Jean Cox! but supposition is a dangerous thing!
                                That's what I am thinking too, hence the suggestion to get in touch with the findagrave contributor for Emma Finley b 1909.

Christine
                                Researching:

Comment

This is a possible for Emma's marriage to Chester A Finley

Emma Genora Allinder
                                  married 02 Dec 1920
                                  Robertson Tennessee

and her death

Emma G Finley
                                  b 06 Oct 1892
                                  d 24 Mar 1991

Odd Fellows Cemetery
                                  Madisonville
                                  Hopkins Co Kentucky

f Joseph Edmond Allendar
                                  m Malisse Agnes Allendar

Not able to see any marriage though for Garland and Emma Jean.

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 30-10-16, 20:37.

Comment

Julie, you don't think the link to the first FL divorce record is our couple? I'm not sure that it is, but nor do I know of info that makes me think it isn't?
                                    Also, the city directories that Ancestry is throwing as possible related records (not that you can conclude that the divorce peeps are absolutely the peeps in the directories) - those do seem like our missing couple. Interesting, because that indicates they were married thru at least some of the 50's. And it gives a location for them.
                                    Tried looking for a Newspaper source - no luck but you might try repeating my search for owensboro ky public library - they have a genealogy section. See if you see a person to communicate with.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                      Julie, you don't think the link to the first FL divorce record is our couple? I'm not sure that it is, but nor do I know of info that makes me think it isn't?
                                      Also, the city directories that Ancestry is throwing as possible related records (not that you can conclude that the divorce peeps are absolutely the peeps in the directories) - those do seem like our missing couple. Interesting, because that indicates they were married thru at least some of the 50's. And it gives a location for them.
                                      Tried looking for a Newspaper source - no luck but you might try repeating my search for owensboro ky public library - they have a genealogy section. See if you see a person to communicate with.
                                      Name: Garland Fay Finley
                                      Birth year abt 1914
                                      Marriage Date: 31 Oct 1966
                                      Marriage Place: Brazoria, Texas, USA
                                      Spouse: Henrl Clothielde Dougherty
                                      Spouse Gender: Female
                                      Spouse Age: 46
                                      Source: Texas Marriage Index, 1966-2002

Name: Garland F Finley
                                      Birth Year: abt 1915
                                      Marriage Date: 25 Mar 1970
                                      Marriage Place: Brazoria, Texas, USA
                                      Spouse: Henri C Dougherty
                                      Spouse Gender: Female
                                      Spouse Age: 49
                                      Source: Texas Marriage Index, 1966-2002

Name: Garland F. Finley
                                      SSN: 444-05-8144
                                      Last Residence:
                                      74745 Idabel, Mccurtain, Oklahoma, USA
                                      BORN: 20 May 1914
                                      Died: 2 Dec 1989
                                      State (Year) SSN issued: Oklahoma (Before 1951)

It looks like he was born in Oklahoma

Garland in 1920 Oklahoma

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

and the other one was born in Kentucky..

1920 cens

Julie

Comment

Would Emma Genora Allindar and Emma Jean Allindar not be one and the same person? I can see Jean being a familiar version of Genora.

Comment

Working...
                                        X