Ireland's historical registers of birth, marriage and death go online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland's historical registers of birth, marriage and death go online

Great excitement - these have gone online a day earlier than expected so I can see how today is going to pan out. Below is the update from Claire Santry's invaluable blog:

"The General Register Office of Ireland's historical civil registers of birth, marriage and death have been uploaded to the free state-run IrishGenealogy.ie.

As anticipated, they follow the 100-75-50years access rule and they are free. If the index entry gives you the option of an image, you download a pdf of the full register page in which that birth, marriage or death certificate appears.

While this seems to be working fine for all indexed entries that had been assigned the GRO's Group Registration ID (GRID), I'm not getting access to any images for those without a GRID. As far as I can see from my early kick-around, all the births from 1864 have a GRID, so should be complete. Marriages before 1886 do not seem to have GRIDs so are not accompanied by an image, and the same goes for deaths from about 1880.

Whether these will appear later, I don't know. Hopefully the site's Help pages will be updated without too much delay so that we can be sure what we've got."

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 07-09-16, 10:14.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Hmmm, something not quite right, but maybe they have still got some things to straighten out before the official launch tomorrow.

A quick search for the birth of my wife's grandmother (we have the certificate already, so it is a good test) has returned the record with 2 images; one is the page from the register with 10 births listed on it (including my wife's grandmother) and a second which I assume should be an image of the copy of the actual certificate. However this second image is for a completely different person, although they are included on the first page, a few lines further down.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
      Hmmm, something not quite right, but maybe they have still got some things to straighten out before the official launch tomorrow.

A quick search for the birth of my wife's grandmother (we have the certificate already, so it is a good test) has returned the record with 2 images; one is the page from the register with 10 births listed on it (including my wife's grandmother) and a second which I assume should be an image of the copy of the actual certificate. However this second image is for a completely different person, although they are included on the first page, a few lines further down.
      No, that's as it should be - as explained by Claire's blog above - you get a PDF of the full register page. If you were ordering a photocopy for 4 euros of that cert from Roscommon you would just get a copy of the relevant numbered entry from that page without all the other entries showing.
      I've had a few where there are second and third images - they have generally been like yours, ie a continuation of the previous page with perhaps one or two more entries, or blank pages. For the vast majority of the births I've looked at so far, there is just the single full page image.
      Last edited by Karamazov; 07-09-16, 16:38.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi

I thought I saw somewhere that it does not officially open until 5.30 pm today.

Bev
        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
          Hi

I thought I saw somewhere that it does not officially open until 5.30 pm today.

Bev
          That's the official launch shindig with assorted ministers etc but the records were online as of yesterday when I happily spent several hours searching....
          Christine
          Last edited by Karamazov; 08-09-16, 20:32.
          Researching:

Comment

Thanks Christine. Wasn't aware of this. Just had some great finds. In laws just squeezed in for bc and mc. Now need to decide if I want to start another tree going.

Vera

Comment

from the website, about the actual records:
              The years covered by the release of the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths are:
              Births: 1864 to 1915
              Marriages: 1882* to 1940
              Deaths: 1891* to 1965

Darn, it's the deaths that I really need access to! But I did find the dc for a many-great-uncle
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-09-16, 03:59.

Comment

there are deaths earlier than 1891 online, i was lookingat one's for cork in the 1880's.

Comment

That's good news - and it was the image, not just the index?

Just surfed thru Donegal records - cool, but I need earlier records.

The DCs for women that I've found don't indicate their husband's occupation. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    The years covered by the release of the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths are:
                    Hopes dashed!

I need 1858-60ish to get back past my wife's ggf; all I have is his age from MC, DC and 1 census, as well as his father's name! I don't even know where he was born.
                    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Bother - the image for my father-in-law's birth isn't available, but I have got them for all his siblings. I was lucky when they first went online for that couple of days and managed to get their dates but not the images. Still, at least I know when Ted's birthday was - he never did know exactly!!! :D
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

As Photofamily mentions:
                        Marriages: 1882* to 1940
                        Deaths: 1891* to 1965
                        This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

However, the further good news is that the images of the pre-1882 registers of Marriage and pre-1891 registers of Deaths are being updated by the General Register Office and will be added to the website in due course (no time frame given).

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 09-09-16, 10:24.
                        Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                          Hopes dashed!

I need 1858-60ish to get back past my wife's ggf; all I have is his age from MC, DC and 1 census, as well as his father's name! I don't even know where he was born.
                          Civil Reg of Ireland's births begin in 1864. You'll need to find the parish record.

Comment

Thanks Christine

I have found, very easily, a few records that are most useful to me [mainly where I already had an index entry containing some information from familysearch already identified so a quick search was enough].

A couple of points:

- the church records are still very patchy, only covering a small number of counties but hopefully this will improve over time

- the civil records are most helpful, but for some reason they do not all link to an image [e.g. in my case there were some Dublin records with summary information but no image. Again hopefully this will improve over time]

Thanks agian Christine as I wouldn't have known about this otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                              Thanks Christine

I have found, very easily, a few records that are most useful to me [mainly where I already had an index entry containing some information from familysearch already identified so a quick search was enough].

A couple of points:

- the church records are still very patchy, only covering a small number of counties but hopefully this will improve over time

- the civil records are most helpful, but for some reason they do not all link to an image [e.g. in my case there were some Dublin records with summary information but no image. Again hopefully this will improve over time]

Thanks agian Christine as I wouldn't have known about this otherwise
                              Hi Bertie,
                              Glad you were successful. Re your points:
                              Civil birth, marriage and death records - see post 12 above, re GRO working on adding earlier images which should plug the gaps for marriages and deaths. If you are looking for Protestant marriages, they were registered from 1845, and then all marriages registered from 1864. We will just have to be patient!

Re church records on the irishgenealogy.ie site - yes they only cover some areas, mainly in SE Ireland but include both Catholic and CoI events.
                              However, if you are looking for Catholic Church records, they are available free here, but only browsable, not indexed/searchable by name.
                              This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

However, if you know the date and parish of the event from what you have found in the civil records (ie birth and marriage, very few Catholic records re deaths/burials) it is straightforward to locate the corresponding church record on the NLI site. Be aware that some records are in Latin, so first names - but NOT surnames - may be Latinised eg Patricius, Joannes, Maria, so bear this in mind when searching.
                              You probably won't get much further info from Church marriage records, but info re godparents on baptisms can be helpful.

FMP and Ancestry have indexed the NLI collection, but you may still have to think laterally -I have seen some totally outlandish indexing of perfectly readable entries. (Having said that, some records are a nightmare for legibility so transcription for indexing must have been a real challenge.) The bonus with this collection is that in many cases, this can get you back pre-1864, depending upon the surviving records from each individual parish
                              If you haven't got a current ancestry or FMP sub, FMP flag them as part of their free collection as below.

Irish Catholic Parish Registers

If you're one of the 40 million Americans with Irish heritage, there's a very good chance you'll find your ancestors in our 10 million Catholic Parish Registers. Published online in partnership with the National Library of Ireland, the collection contains birth, marriage, burial and confirmation records from more than 1,000 parishes, covering 98% of the Catholic population in Ireland.

Good luck,
                              Christine
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 10-09-16, 13:11.
                              Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                there are deaths earlier than 1891 online, i was lookingat one's for cork in the 1880's.

Further Church Records for Cork and Dublin added to website.
                                A further 29,738 Church records of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials have been added to the website
                                These records include 17,667 Roman Catholic Church records from Bandon (Cork and Ross RC), 11,411 Roman Catholic Church Records from Iveleary (Cork and Ross RC) and 660 Church of Ireland Records from St. Michaels (Dublin COI). All of these records also have an accompanying image. https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

The wonderful thing about the site is that the records are free.
                                Last edited by Joy Dean; 11-09-16, 16:19.
                                Joy

Comment

Working...
                                X