Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Durham c1834 Pudsey,Yorkshire

First post so hello to everybody.

I'm trying to locate an Alfred Durham born around 1834 in Pudsey, Yorkshire. I've tried numerous different searches on different websites to try and track him down. I can find him on the 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 census, always in Pudsey with his wife Hannah (Gaunt) who he married on the 15th April 1854. Prior to that I'm fairly sure that I have found him in the 1851 census, living with John & Mary Frankland in Bradford.

However, that's when the trail goes cold. I've tried all sorts of searches on FindMyPast, TheGenealogist, FamilySearch and the Calverley websites and come up empty.

To add to the confusion, I think there is another Alfred Durham born in 1833 (baptised on 19 June 1833 in Snaith, son of Joseph and Jane). He appears in the 1841 census in Snaith with his mother. I don't think this is the Alfred Durham that I am after because this Alfred Durham then disappears until 1871 when he re-appears in Snaith. In 1881 and 1891 he is still in Snaith and is married to Bridget so I've pretty much discounted him.

As an aside, I think that the Alfred Durham that I am after was also a census enumerator for Pudsey in 1881 as the Calverley website lists an Alfred Durham as the enumerator for RG11/4482 ED10 Folios 137-152. This might tie in with the fact that my Alfred Durham was a clerk in a woollen mill in 1881.

Can anybody help me out here or point me in a new direction (I have a subscription to FindMyPast and TheGenealogist but not Ancestry).

Many thanks.
    Mark.

Welcome to the site Mark.
    From the marriage cert you will have his father's name and occupation? Using that info perhaps we can locate him on the '41 and maybe 51 censuses.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

This is the only yorkshire baptism I can find at the moment. Snaith is between Pontefract and Goole. It could be he was born here but brought up in Pudsey.

First name(s) Alfred
      Last name Durham
      Status Son
      Birth year -
      Baptism year 1833
      Baptism date 19 Jun 1833
      Baptism place Snaith, St Laurence
      Denomination Anglican
      Father's first name(s) Joseph
      Father's occupation Labourer
      Mother's first name(s) Jane
      Residence Snaith
      County Yorkshire (West Riding)
      Country England
      Record set Yorkshire Baptisms
      Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
      Subcategory Births & baptisms
      Collections from Great Britain
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-09-16, 21:20.
      Kat

Comment

Found this.....

Trace your family history with thousands of baptism, marriage, burial and census records from Calverley, West Yorkshire and surrounding areas.

Check these out Mark http://vitaldb.moorlandit.com/displa...rtby=fn&ad=ASC maybe of some help..and Welcome to the forum
        Jacky

Comment

That can't be the one as he is still with his mother in 1861 at Snaith.

Nice one Jacky
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-09-16, 21:42.
          Kat

Comment

Jackie, thanks for looking. I don't have an Ancestry subscription so I can't see the information in the link you provided.

Kat, thanks for looking too. The Alfred Durham you have found is, I believe, the other one.

Comment

Hi Jacky, yes thats him. You've found the same record I had. That's as far back as i've got with him.

I've also tried various searches for any Alfred born around 1834 +/-5 years, anyone with a surname starting Du* and surname variations such as Doran, Duram etc and all my attempts have soo far come up empty. I had a go with the FamiySearch IGI batch numbers via www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi to try and locate him too but that didn't find him either.

Thanks everybody for looking.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkDurham View Post
                Jackie, thanks for looking. I don't have an Ancestry subscription so I can't see the information in the link you provided.
                Sorry Mark just spotted that. Its a copy of the marriage register but there are no details for his father which would imply that he was illegitimate
                Jackie

Comment

Jackie , thanks for looking. In situations like this, does it generally mean the end of the line, as it were, when tracing ancestors?

Comment

There's a research guide on illegitimacy here

I wouldn't necessarily give up. It may need a trip to the local archives if you're in that area. Its also worth just revisiting that bit of your research every so often as new records are made available. The problem I think you have at the moment is that there's no sign of him with a mother so you don't know who she is either.

The website that Jacky (Tilly Mint) found looks useful and they have a forum so it might be worth joining that

A repository of genealogical and historical data concerning the villages of Calverley Parish in Yorkshire
                    Jackie

Comment

Thank you Jackie. I will look into the Calverley forum and also have a look at the A2A link in the guide.

Comment

Working...
                      X