Intermittent computer connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent computer connection.

For the last few days I have been losing my internet connection on my desktop computer. I keep getting a pop up saying that a network connection is unplugged! Have check all cables and all seem ok. Because of this using the desktop is nigh impossible. Am on iPad at the moment which has no problems. Am with Virgin for broadband and desktop is using Windows XP.

Anyone any ideas?

Lesley

dont know if this will help

Comment

this might be easier and it seems it works

1.) Shut dowm your PC.
      2.) Unplug the power cord.
      3.) If you have a laptop, remove the battery as well.
      4.) Walk away from the problem for at least 30 minutes.
      5.) When you return, reconnect battery and power cord.
      5.) Start as usual.
      Last edited by Guest; 28-08-16, 19:37.

Comment

Will try that later Val. Thanks for your reply. Must admit I did suspect the Ethernet cable but haven't got a clue what I am doing really!

Lesley

Comment

Turn the router off as well. Giving it a short rest sometimes works!
          Anne

Comment

What,s the router Anne? If you mean the Modem, I have tried that and also Vals suggestions....still not getting Internet,or mail,come to that on Desktop. Can get Internet on iPad but no mail!

Why has technology left me behind! I give up!

Lesley

Comment

have you tried resetting the modem , maybe unplug it completely then wait about a minute plug it back in and press the reset button ,dont give up I feel the same way sometimes but I wont let it beat me even if I do go loopy .
              Also try changing the ethernet cable.
              Last edited by Guest; 29-08-16, 12:03.

Comment

have you tried resetting the modem , maybe unplug it completely then wait about a minute plug it back in and press the reset button ,dont give up I feel the same way sometimes but I wont let it beat me even if I do go loopy .
                Also try changing the ethernet cable.

Comment

I was wondering about the Ethernet cable Val! Can you buy them? Obviously the one I have came with Virgins modem. I have tried unplugging the modem, left it a while....still no joy! The Ethernet cable does look a bit twisted where it plugs in to back of computer tower!

I am like a bear with a sore head when I can't use the desktop as I prefer it for researching.

Comment

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                    For the last few days I have been losing my internet connection on my desktop computer. I keep getting a pop up saying that a network connection is unplugged! Have check all cables and all seem ok. Because of this using the desktop is nigh impossible. Am on iPad at the moment which has no problems. Am with Virgin for broadband and desktop is using Windows XP.

Anyone any ideas?

Lesley
                    Have you or any of your family another computer that you can plug into your router (modem), it could be the router is on the blink and needs replacing.
                    If possible try plugging another computer into the router, if that has the same fault or you cannot plug another computer in phone Virgin and tell them you internet is not working and they will send another router free of charge.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

yes you can buy them I got mine on amazon they are quite reasonable, but why should you ? as Guy says try that then tell Virgin you need a new router, I had that error a while ago now and it was plugged in but dont remember how I sorted it .

Comment

My computer is the only one in the house Guy! I have an iPad which is working fine.

I think phoning Virgin is probably the only answer but it is such a hassle I was trying to avoid contacting them! That's why I thought I would try changing the Ethernet cable. Just looked online and wouldn't have a clue as to which I would need

Thanks for your suggestions though everyone.
                        Lesley
                        Last edited by Punchs mum; 29-08-16, 18:03.

Comment

have you tried resetting the network ? this is on youtube worth a try

Think any ethernet cable would do

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions Val!

Will take a look at them tomorrow now. Brain too addled to take it in at the moment! Lol

Lesley

Comment

good luck I know how frustrating it can be.

Comment

Update .....tried changing the Ethernet cable, no change so finally contacted Virgin, spent 20 mins on phone talking to a nice man with a strong Scottish accent and had difficulty understanding him. Likewise him me, I expect! Still no luck. Have now got a technician coming ....next Tuesday!!

Just hope the fault is not in my computer!

Punchs mum

Comment

how frustrating and that's a long time to wait when you are paying for a service you aren't getting ,hope you ask for a refund.

Comment

Well, looks like the problem is my computer! Had Virgin out, very nice man who replaced the Hub and Ethernet cable. Still no internet. He thinks it is the network card in the computer. He suggested a USB Wireless Dongle which is the best way to go as it will use WIFI. So still no Internet. Anyone know anything about USB wireless dongles??

Frustrated Punchsmum!! Lol
                                    Last edited by Punchs mum; 06-09-16, 15:47.

Comment

Working...
                                    X