Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to make a connection, but can't!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make a connection, but can't!!!

I have been researching my family tree which can be found here: - http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/599...?usePUBJs=true

But I am having a real struggle to make the connection between Captain Thomas Blount (1612-1706) and Thomas Blount or Blunt who is married to Ann Byrch/Birch or somebody called Ann.

Thomas (the potential son) and Ann had a son, also called Thomas born in Worcestershire, UK.

The records I have found for Captain Thomas Blount lists his birth place as Sodington, (no place except Sodington Hall exists), Worcestershire, UK, and his emigration to North Carolina in 1695, where he died, his sons and Daughters were born in Sodington hall, this includes a Thomas, but the record I found for a Thomas (whose father is Thomas and mother is Ann) was born in Ribbesford, Worcestershire, 8 miles away.

Sorry it's confusing, both Captain Thomas and the potential son were married to an Ann.

Also alot of the Blount family I have researched are from Worcestershire, too many Blounts to be a coincidence.

Or perhaps I just have everything muddled up, or I have gone on a wild goose chase.

Somebody help please!!!

Marcus
    Last edited by tankno9; 20-08-16, 21:44.

Unfortunately, on your tree, you have Thomas Blount born in 1747, son of Thomas Blount who died in 1729.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      Unfortunately, on your tree, you have Thomas Blount born in 1747, son of Thomas Blount who died in 1729.
      Anne
      Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed, I have taken the dates out, I have a baptism record for Thomas in 1748, the mother is Ann and the father Thomas, so perhaps my dates were wrong.

Comment

You will have to be very careful not to jump to conclusions with this family, I think!

There is a lot written about the Blount family, but you need to rely on reliable sources.

This gives a pedigree for the family:

It might be worth looking on the National Archives website, using their Discovery catalogue.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
          You will have to be very careful not to jump to conclusions with this family, I think!

There is a lot written about the Blount family, but you need to rely on reliable sources.

It might be worth looking on the National Archives website, using their Discovery catalogue.
          *Agrees with Elizabeth*

One should also bear in mind that many events are NOT available on the internet; so just because one comes across a couple of possibilities, for example, that does not mean that the record one is seeking has to be one of those two events.
          Usually the further back in time that one delves, the less detailed the records are - e.g baptisms may just name the father. You will need to try to draw up mini trees and to explore other documentation, such as wills, which often help firm up family relationships and establish connections with places. - "and to my nephew John, son of my late sister Mary, relict of Nicholas Tindale of Bolton, I leave......."

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post

Thankyou, I had a look and came across this on page 367:-

This ancient family is said to take its rise from the Blondi, or Biondi, in Italy, whose historians derive them from the Roman Flavii.
            Blound, Lord of Guisnes, in France, had 3 sons, who came into England, with William the conqueror: one returned into France; the other two, Sir Robert, and Sir William Blound, remained in England, and gave a beginning to all the Blounts, in this kingdom.

So if this is true, all Blounts in the UK are related, and the Blounts that emigrated to America are also family, maybe!!!

Comment

But you cannot safely assume that they are all related just because they have the same surname. When ordinary people were required to give a surname they often assumed the surname of their manorial Lord. Didn't mean they were related to him.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                But you cannot safely assume that they are all related just because they have the same surname. When ordinary people were required to give a surname they often assumed the surname of their manorial Lord. Didn't mean they were related to him.

OC
                Thanks, I'm learning new things everyday from you all

Comment

Working...
                X