Date for my 3x great grandmother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date for my 3x great grandmother?

I have been very fortunate to receive a photo of my 3x great grandmother and wonder if anyone would like to hazard guess at the date?

The photo was taken by Thomas Ayers of 3 Clarence Place, Regent Road, Yarmouth [Great Yarmouth] whom I have already googled and was at that address in Regent Road from 1858.

She died of bronchitis, pneumonia congestion, and collapse in 1882, I already had this photo of her taken at Margate when she was older and obese.

Thanks for taking a look.

How old was she when she died? I don't know too much about dating by fashion but looking at her jawline in the first photo I think she must be between 50 and 60 in that one. Oddly she doesn't look that much older in the second one, just much fatter.
    Anne

Comment

She died when she was 79 Anne. The 2nd photo where she is much fatter was taken in Margate, (they lived in Ightham in Kent). I've just noticed she has the same earrings in both pictures. The first one is a companion picture to one of her husband, my ggg gfr.

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 12-08-16, 08:28. Reason: clarity

Comment

I agree with Anne, she doesn't show much sign of ageing in the second one, just the effects of her illness. Given that she would be 55 when the 1st photographer's business opened, could this be a 60th birthday portrait taken in 1863? Or maybe a 70th taken in 1873? Where was she on the 1861 and 1871 censuses?

Comment

That's a thought Gallowaylass, a big birthday photo, or possibly her husband's birthday. In 1861 she was at home in Ightham, where they retired after one of the sons took over the family grocers in the East End of London (another of my 3x great grandmothers was visiting her, another grocers wife), and in 1871 she was visiting her married daughter in Edmonton, north London.

Comment

just taken out what looked like foxing

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

That very kind of you Alan, thankyou once again!

Comment

aren't you lucky I'm envious, I thought Queen Victoria when I first looked.

Comment

Working...
                X