Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding my Grandfathers history - Benito Renzi

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to research my family name "Renzi", my name is Marcus Renzi, and my father is also Marcus Renzi, I am trying to find records on my grandfather, Benito Renzi, but this is very difficult, as he is Italian, I've never met him, I don't think my father ever met him, and is a very taboo subject in the family, I have found a marriage record, but that is is, he married my nanna (Nesta Mary Eunice Smith) in Swansea in 1956, but I can't find any further details on him, there is a rumour that he may not be my fathers real dad.

I have a disability, and I get confused by all the different info, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Marcus

I'm afraid it's going to be very difficult. I can't find him in the UK before the 1956 marriage, or a death for him.
    He was presumably born in Italy, but there are no central birth, marriage or death records in Italy, so unless you know the town or village someone came from it's practically impossible to find their records.

I see from the birth index that your father has an older brother; have you tried contacting him or his children to see if they have any information they'd be willing to share?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-08-16, 22:55.

Comment

I have tried to ask the question, but I don't get anywhere, my father has got 2 brothers, but one is a Renzi and one is a Smith, I had researched further and I had thought that Benito might not be my fathers dad, and that was also a rumour within the family, I found a Nesta M E Smith, that married a Benjamin Cutajar in West Glamorgan the year before my father was born, maybe it's just a coincidence.

Marcus

Comment

Have you got the birth certificate for your father? If so what does it show for his father's name?

Margaret

Comment

So I have the marriage certificate for my nan and grandad, his name as I said was Benito Renzi, he was 26 years old at the time of the wedding, so he was born in 1930, his father was called Giuseppe Renzi, but no other details, is anybody able to help further?

Comment

I know it's your Grandfather's history that you are looking into, but can you tell me how you followed your Grandmother please as I can't find a birth for her under those initials. On her death her birth date is given as 22nd March 1931. On the marriage certificate what age does it give for her and what father's name and occupation does it give?

You can ignore that other marriage that you found as that lady was just Nesta and had children and married again anyway. Your Grandmother died as Renzi.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              I know it's your Grandfather's history that you are looking into, but can you tell me how you followed your Grandmother please as I can't find a birth for her under those initials. On her death her birth date is given as 22nd March 1931. On the marriage certificate what age does it give for her and what father's name and occupation does it give?

You can ignore that other marriage that you found as that lady was just Nesta and had children and married again anyway. Your Grandmother died as Renzi.
              My Aunty told me that my grandmother was adopted 3 times, but on the certificate, it says she is 25, her fathers name is George Smith and he is noted down as "formerly a labourer"

Comment

Originally posted by tankno9 View Post
                I have tried to ask the question, but I don't get anywhere, my father has got 2 brothers, but one is a Renzi and one is a Smith, I had researched further and I had thought that Benito might not be my fathers dad, and that was also a rumour within the family, I found a Nesta M E Smith, that married a Benjamin Cutajar in West Glamorgan the year before my father was born, maybe it's just a coincidence.

Marcus
                That's a Nesta Smith not with any middle initials and if your grandmother had married again it would have been in the name Renzi as that was her surname in 1958 not Smith.

If one of your father's brothers is called Smith he must have been born before Nesta married in 1956 - would that be right?

You would not be able to dispel any rumours about whether Benito Renzi was your grandfather or not without DNA tests as he was born during the marriage and his father's name given as Benito Renzi so the paperwork wouldn't help you.

Do you know if Benito stayed with Nesta or if not when he left?

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-08-16, 17:21.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  That's a Nesta Smith not with any middle initials and if your grandmother had married again it would have been in the name Renzi as that was her surname in 1958 not Smith.

If one of your father's brothers is called Smith he must have been born before Nesta married in 1956 - would that be right?

You would not be able to dispel any rumours about whether Benito Renzi was your grandfather or not without DNA tests as he was born during the marriage and his father's name given as Benito Renzi so the paperwork wouldn't help you.

Do you know if Benito stayed with Nesta or if not when he left?

Margaret
                  My father has 3 older siblings, 2 Smith, 1 Renzi, I had found a witness of the wedding, but this person has dementia, I have checked the 1939 register, nothing, I guess I have to wait for the 51 census.

Comment

That won't be until 2051 .......... I hope not to be alive then!!!!
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I found this https://www.myheritage.es/research/c...mf3.1+lnmsrs.1 by doing a google search.

Don't know if it helps.

Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 24-08-16, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                        I found this https://www.myheritage.es/research/c...mf3.1+lnmsrs.1 by doing a google search.

Don't know if it helps.

Margaret
                        It might help, but it's in spanish, so can't tell haha, and I need to sign up, but again I can't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by tankno9 View Post
                          It might help, but it's in spanish, so can't tell haha, and I need to sign up, but again I can't understand.
                          You can copy and paste what you see into google translate and get a rough translation.

Margaret

Comment

I might have a lead, but not entirely sure, as mentioned on the marriage certificate in 56, there's a witness, C P, after talking to family of his, I have found he came over in 1955 from Mosciano Sant'Angelo in Teramo, it may be a wild goose chase, but I would have thought, my grandfather would have been friends with him, so could they have come from the same area? I haven't got access to Italian records, this is where I need help!! please!!

I have had to remove that name as he was still showing with his wife on the electoral register up to 2015. So probably still alive.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 26-08-16, 08:00.

Comment

These are records for the place you mentioned, bit of a slog to look through

Last edited by Elaine; 25-08-16, 21:28.
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

haven't posted name as I am not sure if they are still alive
                                Last edited by Elaine; 25-08-16, 21:37.
                                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV6S-FXWX

haven't posted name as I am not sure if they are still alive
                                  Yes that is the correct person who is witness, I have been in contact via FB, with his Grandson, to see if I can get info from CP, unfortunately, he has dementia (as told by the Grandson, and if the googled search is correct, his wife died a few months ago.

Comment

Working...
                                  X