Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading and locating Bristol Parish

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I am trying to locate the parish of 'Rusford'? Bristol, Somerset.

If I'm reading my GG Granfathers army discharge document correctly that is.

i was hoping to add the document to this post to ask for help reading the name but despite becoming a member I don't think I have permission to add an attachment, is this correct?

According to the document Charles Honey joined up on 16th Dec 1850 at the age of 21.
    Despite looking at various maps and on the Internet I'm struggling to find a 'Rusford' or similar in the Bristol area.

Any ideas or suggestion gratefully received.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. If you can use an external site such as photobucket to upload the image you can put a link on which will mean we can see the image.

Comment

Brushford, Somerset keeps leaping out at me when I google, wonder if that could be the place?

Comment

Thanks for feedback Jill.

will try and upload an image tomorrow as I'm just off out.

I'm from Leicestershire so it's quite difficult when you don't know an area and its place names.

Comment

Decided to give it a quick go before I go out.
          Just signed up to photo bucket so fingers crossed!

hope the image/document appears ok.

Comment

Welcome to the forum If you click on the fourth link to the right of the image ie. IMG, then copy to your post you will get the actual image come up.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 02-08-16, 09:25.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The image comes up fine.

However can find nothing suitable for Rusford anywhere near Bristol unless it's the name of a street in Bristol?
              Brushford is about 80 m from Bristol.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

First of all it is definitely written as Rusford, but it could have been written down incorrectly.

I too can't find anything like it in the Bristol area, nor can I find a suitable baptism record for Charles Honey in the area.

I have however found this, which is a bit 'outside the box' depending how it is pronounced, but still worth tracing forward:

Name: Charles William Hone
                Baptism Date: 8 Aug 1830
                Baptism Place: Bristol, Gloucester, England
                Father: Charles Hone
                Mother: Sarah
                FHL Film Number: 1595983
                Reference ID: item 1 p 192
                Last edited by PeteW1959; 02-08-16, 12:43.
                Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Think this may be that family in 1841
                  Last edited by JudithM; 02-08-16, 13:01.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Army Service Record

First name(s) Charles
                    Last name Hone
                    Service number 757
                    Rank Driver
                    Unit or Regiment 4th Brigade R.A.
                    Regiment stationed at Christchurch; Hilsea; New Zealand; Woolwich; Canada; Bristol; Aldershot; Gosport
                    Year 1861
                    National Archives reference WO10 / 2494
                    Country Great Britain
                    Record set British Army, Worldwide Index 1861
                    Category Military, armed forces & conflict
                    Subcategory Regimental & service records
                    Collections from Great Britain
                    Kat

Comment

There are 2 prison records for a Charles Hone b 1850 for Bristol/Chatham 1853 and 1858 but this cannot be the same Charles Hone as he was in the army at the time. 1850 - 1861.

Might be worth buying the service record to see if wife or parents names/addresses are given on it.

Edit: However those service records don't mention Bangalore on the 1861 document but of course he could have gone there later as he didn't leave the Army until 1873
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-08-16, 16:32.
                      Kat

Comment

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

These are the muster books and pay lists for 4th Brigade R.A. 1861

Whether they will tell you much more I don't know.
                        Kat

Comment

Charles Hone 1891
                          a pedlar born 1831 Bristol
                          Barton Regis
                          Great Ann Street
                          Lodger and Widower
                          RG12
                          Piece number 1983
                          Folio 127a
                          Page 22
                          Kat

Comment

Do you have any other information for Charles? The father for this marriage is George not Charles as in the 1841 census already posted.
                            ENGLAND, BRISTOL PARISH REGISTERS, 1538-1900
                            Charles Honey
                            Event Type Marriage
                            Event Date 08 Sep 1851
                            Event Place Olveston, St Mary, Gloucestershire, England
                            Gender Male
                            Marital Status Single
                            Father's Name George Honey
                            Spouse's Name Patience Gurd
                            Spouse's Residence Place Olveston, St Mary, Gloucestershire
                            Spouse's Gender Female
                            Spouse's Marital Status Single
                            Spouse's Father's Name William Gurd
                            Kat

Comment

Just seeing if this brings the image up....

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                Welcome to the forum If you click on the fourth link to the right of the image ie. IMG, then copy to your post you will get the actual image come up.
                                Thanks so much Chris, it worked! I will remember this for another time.

Comment

Thanks so much PeteW, JudithM and Katarzyna for all your valuable input.

Im just in from work and tying to assimilate all the posts....

I will pop my PC on shortly and can't wait to see what does (and doesn't) match.

From memory he joined up in 1850 but from the records I have it appears he then didn't show for 2 years!! At it 'states' 'tried for desertion at the Depot' (which I take to mean in the UK) and his actual service starts in 1852 so he could/should appear on both the 1841 and 1851 census returns.

just looked quickly on PC.....

He married Jane Victoria (Ellen) Leonard in Secunderbad, India 15th April 1863 (he was 31 Jane was 17).

His fathers name was William (from 'family search' site 'India marriages 1792-1948).

I have used various sites including 'Families in British Indian Society' (FIBIS) and Ancestry etc to track him as far as I can.

his 'Honey' children are: (all born in India)

Caroline Ellen (1864-1946)
                                  Elizabeth (1866-?)
                                  Ann (1868-?)
                                  Charles William (1870-?)
                                  jane (1872-?)
                                  Mary Amelia (c1875-1951) - my Great Grandmother - died in Melton Mowbray can't find birth/baptism
                                  George (1881-1957? Melton Mowbray to check).

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                    There are 2 prison records for a Charles Hone b 1850 for Bristol/Chatham 1853 and 1858 but this cannot be the same Charles Hone as he was in the army at the time. 1850 - 1861.

Might be worth buying the service record to see if wife or parents names/addresses are given on it.

Edit: However those service records don't mention Bangalore on the 1861 document but of course he could have gone there later as he didn't leave the Army until 1873

Thanks Katarzyna

its great when someone throws up information like this as it makes you check your own source data.
                                    From the records I have it states Charles spent 22 years and 6/12 month at various stations in Madras Presidency (or words to that effect).

This is still a bit strange as he joined/attested 16th Dec 1850.
                                    Deserted from same date until 24th March 1852.
                                    Rejoined 25th March 1852.
                                    Final discharge 1st July 1873.

(I will attach the records shortly for reference).

So from when he rejoined to final discharge date it is 21 years and just over 3 months (if I'm reading it correct).

But anyway, seems like he spent over 20 years serving in India, remained in India (and I believe died there) his wife Jane dying in Poona Bombay in 1946.

I just wish I could locate him in Bristol with his father William to be able to be able to move back a generation or two.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X