Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      Army Service Record

First name(s) Charles
      Last name Hone
      Service number 757
      Rank  Driver
      Unit or Regiment 4th Brigade R.A.
      Regiment stationed at Christchurch; Hilsea; New Zealand; Woolwich; Canada; Bristol; Aldershot; Gosport
      Year 1861
      National Archives reference WO10 / 2494
      Country Great Britain
      Record set British Army, Worldwide Index 1861
      Category Military, armed forces & conflict
      Subcategory Regimental & service records
      Collections from Great Britain

I'd be over the moon if this was my GG Grandfather and be only too pleased to purchase his service records, I'm pretty sure it's not him though as he spent almost his entire service of over 20 years in India.

Comment

Name: George Honey
        Birth Date: abt 1881
        Date of Registration: Dec 1957
        Age at Death: 76
        Registration district: Melton Mowbray
        Inferred County: Leicestershire
        Volume: 3a
        Page: 886

What was your GGrandmother Mary Amelia's married name?

If Charles deserted in 1850 then I guess we won't find him on any census.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Is this your ggrandmother - looking at your Username:

Name: Mary A Rippon
          Birth Date: abt 1875
          Date of Registration: Mar 1951
          Page: 1194
          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
            Name: George Honey
            Birth Date: abt 1881
            Date of Registration:  Dec 1957
            Page: 886

What was your GGrandmother Mary Amelia's married name?

If Charles deserted in 1850 then I guess we won't find him on any census.

Thanks Kat

Sorry only just spotted this reply...

Mary Amelia Honey married George Rippon (although he was actually Rippin) in Ambala in 1892.

i have researched Rippin to death (pardon the pun) at the detriment of the Honey side and my maternal side, which is why I'm trying to make amends.

Good point on why we can't find Charles on the 1851 census... but still frustrating not finding him in 1841 or his baptism.
            When I found the 'Born in parish of Rusford' clue I thought I'd finally cracked it!!

Comment

That's her.

Comment

I've found another reference to Rusford near Bristol in Google Books, but no indication on where exactly it is:
                Jenny

Comment

I've found another reference to Rusford near Bristol in Google Books, but no indication on where exactly it is:

Edit to say that this relates to the birth of John Locke being at Rusford, near Bristol, but other sites on the internet state he was born at Wrington - don't know if there's a connection
                  Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post

Edit to say that this relates to the birth of John Locke being at Rusford, near Bristol, but other sites on the internet state he was born at Wrington - don't know if there's a connection
                    Great Jenny, at least it looks likely that it wasn't a transcription error then.
                    i will look into the Wrighton clue.
                    thankyou so much for your input.
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by ARippin View Post
                      Great Jenny, at least it looks likely that it wasn't a transcription error then.
                      i will look into the Wrighton clue.
                      thankyou so much for your input.
                      Andrew
                      I mean Wrington... had a quick look without success but will look tonight.

Comment

The parish records for Wrington All Saints, Weslyan and Congregational churches have all been transcribed on FreeReg for the dates you need. Nothing for Honey, Hone, Hanney etc. There is nothing in the transcribers notes to say any parts of the registers were unreadable or missing. It could be that he was baptised in a nearby village - mother's home parish for example. Worst scenario that he was brought up there but actually born somewhere completely different :(
                        However one would expect to find Charles with a father William somewhere on the 1841 census. Must be mangled up somewhere.
                        Kat

Comment

This is just a suggestion that might warrant looking into further

1841 census

Charles Hanney aged 12 with various family including father, William. In Publow, town of Pensford.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Pensford is only a few miles from Bristol.
                          Jackie

Comment

This would be the baptism?
                            Publow
                            Church name All Saints
                            Register type Parish Register
                            Baptism date 16 Jan 1831
                            Person forename Charles
                            Person abode Publow
                            Father forename William
                            Father surname HANNEY
                            Father occupation Labourer
                            Mother forename Sarah
                            Kat

Comment

Jackie, Kat,
                              wow, the census and the baptisms look really promising.
                              Im trying to keep calm and not get too ahead of myself but really excited.
                              We all know how surnames can change over the years due to literacy levels and how the enumerators/vicars etc would write a name as it sounded. I have family members in my home town with different spellings of our surname (all thinks their version is correct)!
                              The ages don't quite match up on the baptism and census but are close enough.
                              Im going to check my tree and various documents I've managed to find.
                              I can't thank you enough for your input and I will keep you updated on how I get on.
                              Just off to ring my Cousin who is doing the same tree to see what she thinks.

Another thought, from the census link above, Charles had siblings George, Mary and Caroline (amongst others).
                              My GG Grandfather Charles Honey had children, George, Caroline Ellen and my G Grandmother Mary Amelia.
                              Common names I know but it's another tick in the box.

Comment

If you decide to look into that family further there are loads of entries on FreeReg
                                Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                  If you decide to look into that family further there are loads of entries on FreeReg
                                  I'm on to it thanks to you.
                                  Once again, greatly appreciated.
                                  If I can return the favour regarding the Leicestershire area please let me know.
                                  Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                  X