Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying this woman's victorian hat?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying this woman's victorian hat?!

Hello! Sorry to trouble you all, I'm a new user here, I just started yesterday, so I hope I'm doing this right! Anyway, I digress, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about what particular hat this woman is wearing? I've tried to look into it myself but I can't seem to find it anywhere. She seems to me like some kind of performer, which may be some indication as to what the hat may be. But I could of course be wrong. As a 21 year old criminology student I don't really know a lot about the Victorian age! I just thought that if I find out what particular hat she is wearing, I might find out a little more about her through further research.

Any insight toward her attire in general such as her jacket or gloves would also be incredibly helpful to me as I am writing about her for my current project!

Thank you so much for reading!

Welcome to the forum, I don't know much at all (i.e. nothing), about historical fashion, but you might find some clues on the links on our pages in the Reference Library:

https://www.familytreeforum.com/cont...ostume-gallery - pictures contributed by our members.

and

https://www.familytreeforum.com/cont...st-and-Present - links to lots of sites on the topic.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

"Googling" the name of the photographer might help too.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help! I had a look into it, and I can't seem to find the particular hat on these pages unfortunately, I'm not even sure if it's a hat typically designed for men or for women. Judging by the attire it could very well be either. I found some interesting facts about the photographer though, and judging by that it seems that she is a performer of some sort. It's just that hat! I can't find it anywhere!

Comment

It's rather like a boater, though as the women wore their hair up the crown has to be deeper than one a man would wear.

Comment

Welcome to FTF! All I can say is that she looks particularly informal for a Victorian photo, so probably that supports your theory that she is a performer of some sort. She is deliberately striking a very casual pose, which is very unlike normal Victorian portrait photos.
            Anne

Comment

It does look rather like a boater. Though I'm not sure if there is a light reflecting on the hat or if its simply a fading on the photo. If it's a light reflection that might put a spanner in the works because typically a boaters material would not be reflective. The time period for the photo is 1889-1904 if that helps anyone find out anything more about her attire. I know this because Hellis & Sons (the photographer) had 6 studios at this time, and on the back of the card, there are 6 studios written down. I think it'd be interesting to discover things about this photo due to the fact that I find her particular form of clothing rather intriguing and unique for this time period.

Thank you for shedding some light on the photo!

Comment

Thank you for posting! This is what I thought, which is what strikes me as interesting about the photo. It's very unlike any other Victorian photos that I own when it comes to the posture and the clothing. I'm glad that someone else thinks she is a performer. Very helpful.

Comment

Do you have a name for the subject or any clues as to where the photo has been since it was taken?

Comment

It was taken at Westminster, and travelled to Matlock, Derby, and then it got to me, in Northampton, I think that's as much as it has travelled, or at least all I know! Sorry if that's not very helpful!

Comment

She's a well travelled lady then Some of my theatricals were a bit vague as to their ages and changed their names at the drop of a hat (probably a hat like this one!) so they are very difficult to pin down.

Comment

You're very right indeed. Thank you ever so much for the help. She is indeed well travelled!

Comment

Update: I've found an incredibly similar hat, this photo was taken in the 1890's also making it the perfect time period. Can anyone name this hat?

Comment

If you scroll down this page on Blanche's Place you will see hats that look very similar apart from the fact that they have heavy trimmings - It actually says at the top of the page that this shape was very popular for cycling and boating.

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-07-16, 10:10.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just had a look at this and my first instinct was that it was the photographers prop. [in the OP] But then looking at what Chrissie found it may be that she was in a boating outfit, the jacket she is wearing looks very much like a seaman's jacket to me.

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              If you scroll down this page on Blanche's Place you will see hats that look very similar apart from the fact that they have heavy trimmings - It actually says at the top of the page that this shape was very popular for cycling and boating.

http://blanchesplace.com/176-small-v...ter-style-hats
                              Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-07-16, 07:29.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                Just had a look at this and my first instinct was that it was the photographers prop. [in the OP] But then looking at what Chrissie found it may be that she was in a boating outfit, the jacket she is wearing looks very much like a seaman's jacket to me.
                                This is extremely helpful. Looking into it I think you are definitely correct. Thank you so much for the help. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X