Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed before I do structural damage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed before I do structural damage!

I am not sure I am on the correct part of FTF.

I am, for the first time yesterday, using anc.co.uk since they changed. I took a couple of hours to upload a picture yesterday and today I cannnot do it at all.

Is there something wrong with ancestry - I seem to be doing it correctly because I looked it up in "hints" - how to upload a picture that is. It just says "download to desktop" - not entirely sure what desktop is or where it is but there is no picture to be found anywhere I can see of the grave I was trying to upload.

I realise I am past my sellby date but please could someone explain to me in words no larger than one syllable, how I can upload a picture to a person in my tree - that picture is already saved in "my pictures". Structural damage is imminent!

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 29-06-16, 12:52.

1. Click on Edit on the fact you want to add the picture to (presumably a burial in this case)

2. Click on Media on the left hand site of the small window.

3. It will say no media items are available (or if there are it will list them below, in the small window in which case you can select the item and it will move up to the top of the small window)

4. Click Upload Media at the top right of the small window

5. A new page will appear. Click the green Choose files in the top right

6. A small window will appear with YOUR OWN files on your computer. Navigate to the picture you want to add.

7. Double click on the picture’s file name in the small window

8. Wait a moment for it to download and then click Done. The picture will appear next to the Fact on the person’s Profile. It will also be stored in their Gallery accessed at the top of their profile page.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 29-06-16, 14:10.

Comment

Many thanks Anne for saving the day - shows how long it is since I used ancestry BUT I managed to add a picture to a person yesterday - I did it by using + and doing a couple of other things which I can't remember but it is not playing ball today!
      I have printed what you sent so that I, hopefully (fingers crossed) won't have any more problems adding stuff. Sue

Comment

This youtube playlist may be useful for you in the future

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you Trevor - that looks extremely interesting and very useful. Sue

Comment

desktop is the page you see when you start up your pc before you go online, have you tried clicking on recent items ??? that might show your image.

Comment

Sue, it may not be you anyway. There are frequent reports on the .uk Facebook page that some people have problems with their ancestry tree sometimes, adding pictures being one of them. It seems to depend on browser/setup etc. and also timing if the site is being updated or very busy.

Here is the page: https://www.facebook.com/AncestryUK/
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline; It seems to be OK again now and I have managed to put the pictures on Tree.
                I did try to become a member of Facebook a couple of years ago and got so much rubbish from them that I no longer am a member - I actually never used it in the end! Still get alerts that I have 2 messages!

Val; Had a good look at desktop but not found the pictures - I do have the original still saved "off ancestry", so picture not lost and I have managed to add it to Tree now but it wasn't on desktop - wonder what I did wrong because I did the same thing (as per ancestry instructions) and it went on. It used to be so much easier before the site was revamped!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                  Caroline; It seems to be OK again now and I have managed to put the pictures on Tree.
                  I did try to become a member of Facebook a couple of years ago and got so much rubbish from them that I no longer am a member - I actually never used it in the end! Still get alerts that I have 2 messages!

As the FB users have been saying it is not all the time so I am glad it worked for you.

It is possible to switch off/ignore most of FB but it is handy to be able to keep track of things like your issue with Ancestry, with Findmypast and definitely our own site if we or they ever have a problem and go unexpectedly offline.
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I agree Caroline - I would like to be a member of Facebook for info but ...........
                    Daughters are totally at ease with technology so will ask one of them to put me on without all the contact stuff (if possible).

I have, by the way, found a lovely Researchers poem for those rare occasions when a grave of a known relative is found! Don't know where to put it - where is best place?
                    Last edited by Sue1; 30-06-16, 12:36.

Comment

Sue not sure what pc you have and a bit late now but if you click on the bottom left of it you get a list of options one of which says recent items if you click on that it should have shown anything done that day? at least mine does.

Comment

Working...
                      X