callaghan/sullivan from monmouthshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• callaghan/sullivan from monmouthshire

I am trying to clarify a marriage between Denis Callaghan born 1854 in Monmouthshire and Mary Sullivan (o Sullivan) born 1856 in Monmouthshire.
    The birth cert for my grandfather (Sydney William Callaghan ) born 1892 in glebe NSW give his parents (above) as married 18/1/1872 in Monmouthshire
    I have been given information from another grandchild of Denis and Mary that they married in St Laurence church south Australia 29/1/1877
    he gave me a Reg Num of 110/436
    Any assistance or guidance appreciated
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

The South Australian marriage matches the following info taken from Findmypast

South Australia Marriages 1842-1937
    Denis Callaghan (age 22)
    Mary Anne Sullivan (age 18)
    Marriage date 29 Jan 1877
    Place St Laurence Church North Adelaide, South Australia.
    Father of groom: Denis Callaghan
    Father of Spouse: William Sullivan
    Registration number 110/436

I can't see any marriage in 1872 in Monmouthshire.

Do you know when they arrived in Australia?
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine
      I can only guess between 1871 ,Denis (spelt Dennis) appears in a census as 18 years old and a lodger, and 1877 when they were married in South Australia.
      The only reference I can see to travel is a Denis age 8 leaving on the Catalonia but I cant find adults accompanying him .

There is a another Denis listed in the family but his was born in South Australia 1883
      The confusion arises because on my GF birth cert it states parents (Denis and Mary) married in Monmouthshire 18/1/1872.
      Brian
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

If they married in Monmouthshire in 1872, and were born in 1854 & 1856, they would have been very young and would both have needed permission of father /guardian for the marriage to take place.
        Was there a child born between 1872 and 1877, and an attempt made to make things look "right"? It's also possible that the person recording the details for your GF's birth certificate made an error when entering or copying the details. Are Denis & Mary believed to have travelled to Australia as a couple or to have met there? Have you located Mary in 1871 census to find out who her family were?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

jay
          first child I can find reference to was born 1877 in Adelaide
          the details may have been entered incorrectly, I have no evidence of how literate they were
          no idea if they travelled as a couple, my assumption they did as they both came from the same area, they may have became a couple on the journey
          I don't have any access to welsh census record except for what comes up via family tree
          thanks for the assistance
          brian

Comment

Working...
          X