Brick Wall Nehemiah Wood, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Wall Nehemiah Wood, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada

Hi my gr-grandfather was Nehemiah Wood -- lived in Prince Edward County, Sophiasburgh Township, Ontario, Canada. Can't find his place of birth (know the year: 1824) but he appears on several census forms. Reference is made on one that place of birth is USA. Looking for some clues to break through this wall. Thanks.

Hi

I have checked through the census for Canada and he appears from 1861 - 1901 in Sophiasburgh Township, Ontario, Canada. he also gives Ontario [west] consistently as his place of birth. He states that he is wesleyan Methodist and his date of birth was 08 October 1824. His parents were from the US, but of German/Dutch descent.

looking at each census to try and get an insight on 1861 there are Nehemiah and Betsy with children Margaret, William, Ann and Sarah, however there is also a JANE WOOD aged 73 [b. abt 1788] and is single but widowed, she was born in York State. [is this New York State?] she is also a Wesleyan Methodist. I would be inclined to think that she is Nehemiah's mother.

I have found a Jane Wood in 1860 US census living with Argena Wood and his wife Sarah in Assyria, Barry, Michigan. [maybe this is another son?]

this is the link to it: http://search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bi...iv=1&ml_rpos=7

hopefully this will give you a little to work upon.

you might be lucky in finding some records on www.familysearch.org
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Could this be Jane's death?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Jane Wood
      Event Type Death
      Event Date 28 Feb 1871
      Event Place Sophiasburgh, Prince Edward, Ontario, Canada
      Gender Female
      Age 85
      Birthplace New Jersey, U.S.A.
      Birth Year (Estimated) 1786
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
        Could this be Jane's death?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Jane Wood
        Event Type Death
        Event Date 28 Feb 1871
        Event Place Sophiasburgh, Prince Edward, Ontario, Canada
        Gender Female
        Age 85
        Birthplace New Jersey, U.S.A.
        Birth Year (Estimated) 1786
        That's looking pretty good Elaine.. x
        Julie

Comment

Jane's burial

William Wood also, quotes as spouse
          Elaine

Comment

This is the son she is with 1860

Their marriage

Elaine

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              This is the son she is with 1860

Their marriage

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FCR5-9VQ
              Thanks for this info. I do think Jane is Nehemiah's mother and that this is her death notice. The marriage doesn't fit, but the other things do. Thanks again, now I can pursue the New Jersey angle.

Comment

Thanks for this!
                I do agree, I think Nehemiah's mother is Jane. There were a lot of people who came to Sophiasburgh which is in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada from Dutchess County in Upper New York State....I'm trying that angle to find out where Nehemiah was born as on the 1871 census (Canada) he is listed as being born in USA with that stroked out and "German" written above. Betsey (and that's the spelling I have consistently) was my gr-grandmother. I have her death certificate but not Nehemiah's but they are both buried together in Glenwood Cemetery, Picton, Ontario, Canada. So I have no trouble with his birth and his children (Sarah was my grandmother) but I am really hitting the wall with his birth. Thanks for your help it adds to the info.an
                Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                Hi

I have checked through the census for Canada and he appears from 1861 - 1901 in Sophiasburgh Township, Ontario, Canada. he also gives Ontario [west] consistently as his place of birth. He states that he is wesleyan Methodist and his date of birth was 08 October 1824. His parents were from the US, but of German/Dutch descent.

looking at each census to try and get an insight on 1861 there are Nehemiah and Betsy with children Margaret, William, Ann and Sarah, however there is also a JANE WOOD aged 73 [b. abt 1788] and is single but widowed, she was born in York State. [is this New York State?] she is also a Wesleyan Methodist. I would be inclined to think that she is Nehemiah's mother.

I have found a Jane Wood in 1860 US census living with Argena Wood and his wife Sarah in Assyria, Barry, Michigan. [maybe this is another son?]

this is the link to it: http://search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bi...iv=1&ml_rpos=7

hopefully this will give you a little to work upon.

you might be lucky in finding some records on www.familysearch.org

Comment

Originally posted by Spoff View Post
                  Thanks for this!
                  I do agree, I think Nehemiah's mother is Jane. There were a lot of people who came to Sophiasburgh which is in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada from Dutchess County in Upper New York State....I'm trying that angle to find out where Nehemiah was born as on the 1871 census (Canada) he is listed as being born in USA with that stroked out and "German" written above. Betsey (and that's the spelling I have consistently) was my gr-grandmother. I have her death certificate but not Nehemiah's but they are both buried together in Glenwood Cemetery, Picton, Ontario, Canada. So I have no trouble with his birth and his children (Sarah was my grandmother) but I am really hitting the wall with his birth. Thanks for your help it adds to the info.an
                  you're welcome I'm a bit confused,
                  So I have no trouble with his birth and his children (Sarah was my grandmother) but I am really hitting the wall with his birth
                  that bit is confusing me... :smilee: we know his date of birth.

re Jane's place of birth, you need to be mindful that whoever gave the details might not have got them right on the death cert re where she was born, BUT, on the census her place of birth is coming from the horses mouth so-to-speak. [not that I am implying she was a horse, it's a figure of speech meaning that it came from her mouth and can be used as primary evidence?]

i'll have another look and see if I can come up with something more. what time is it over the pond? [it's 6.30pm here]
                  Julie

Comment

I'm not sure where Spoff is located, but Atlantic provinces 4 hours behind you, Ontario and Quebec 5.
                    Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                      I'm not sure where Spoff is located, but Atlantic provinces 4 hours behind you, Ontario and Quebec 5.
                      Cheers Jenny, that makes thing much easier.

still didn't find much though re Nehemiah.
                      Julie

Comment

Time zone

Hi again, just getting used to the format here sorry and couldn't edit my comment..I meant that I had his birth date 1824 but not place of birth and yes his death was in 1912. I am in New Brunswick,Canada, so 4 hrs behind UK. And yes I realize that death certificate info etc is often quite incorrect. If I was to start looking at New Jersey....not sure how to begin as I have no maiden name for her. Thanks for your help and interest! Can I send you some further clues I've been finding re baptisms of possible siblings of Nehemiah's?
                        Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        you're welcome I'm a bit confused, that bit is confusing me... :smilee: we know his date of birth.

re Jane's place of birth, you need to be mindful that whoever gave the details might not have got them right on the death cert re where she was born, BUT, on the census her place of birth is coming from the horses mouth so-to-speak. [not that I am implying she was a horse, it's a figure of speech meaning that it came from her mouth and can be used as primary evidence?]

i'll have another look and see if I can come up with something more. what time is it over the pond? [it's 6.30pm here]

Comment

Yep sure Spoff, post what you know on here and hopefully we can try and help you out.

we know that one of Nehemiah's brothers was called Marcene? and from the grave of Jane we know that her husbands name was William Wood, I just wondered if you had contacted the cemetery where she is buried and asked them if they could tell you when William died/was buried, that might then give you some leeway to getting his death cert.
                          Julie

Comment

I have done a bit of Googling re movement of people from USA to Canada

Do wonder about Jane's pob being USA

On the 1861 her pob is recorded as York ?Hale and on DC the informant has (not a family member) given her pob as Newark, New Jersey.

Ontario previously Canada West and Upper Canada had Capitals of Newark and York

Ancestry have baptisms for Wesleyan Methodists but only from 1828. There is a couple of late baptisms (1847) for a Mary Ann b 1822
                            and Jacob b 1827 with parents Jane and William ?? Nehemiah's sibs

Vera

Comment

Thank you Vera. I have found evidence of Mary Ann and Jacob too with their late baptisms. But no Nehemiah which is frustrating! Someone sent me the LAC document of a William Wood from Sophiasburgh being naturalized in 1831 at age 31... Wondering if he fits as Jane's husband. Without Jane's maiden name is there any hope of tracking her birth? But thanks for the leads about York and Newark and Upper Canada. Could you explain the reference of "Hale"? Thanks.

Comment

thanks so much. This is the first place I've found real help. On an Ontario (Canada) free website, I found the possible siblings that Vera is referring to: Mary Ann Wood b January 11, 1822, father William, mother Jane. Baptized December 28, 1847 by Reverend Wm. McFadden. Jacob Rewcelor Wood b. March 28, 1827 (father William, mother Jane) Baptized December 28, 1847 by Rev. Wm. McFadden. Jacob was married to (1) Margaret. Issue: John Ridley Wood b. 1858 at Brighton, Ontario. John married Eliza Jane Root Dec. 31, 1878 in Ameliasburg, Prince Edward County, Ontario. Witnesses:. Ann Lander and ----Allison. Jacob married (2) Euphemia Lander August 30, 1871. Catherine Wood b. 1832 d. 1900 married to John Allison (b. 1831 d.1897) John was a brother of Betsey Allison married to Nehemiah Wood. I can also follow your suggestion and contact the graveyard in Prince Edward County where there is a gravestone for William Wood to see if Jane is mentioned on it. I have no record of a brother called Marcene living in Sophiasburgh or Ameliasburgh, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada. My grandmother, Nehemiah's daughter, is obviously named after Nehemiah's sister as her name was Sarah Catherine (b.1858 d. 1936) which is unfortunately quite some time before my birth. I am at a disadvantage with no family members to check with. My father (P. Kenneth Wood Spafford) was born in 1896 and was 60 years old when I was born...so there are no living relatives who would remember Nehemiah.

Comment

Spoff

re York ?Hale. It is York State and I can see now already posted.

So the Annie Allison with Nehemiah on the 1871 and 1881 census is ? Betsey's mother. She too is sometimes recorded as Canada West and USA and on death cert New Jersey.

Vera

Comment

um, I thought that Betsey's maiden name was ALLISON?
                                    Julie

Comment

Hi yes my gr-grandmother, (Nehemiah's wife) was Betsey Allison Wood. Her father was John Allison....very well-researched family with origins in the US. Her mother was Anna Sprung Allison...she could have appeared as "Annie" on a document somewhere. I have had some luck researching the Sprung family as well...from US to Prince Edward County, Canada. The Sprung, Allison and Wood families are all interrelated and intermarried so I was hoping to find some sort of birth info on Nehemiah as well as his parents who might have been William and Jane....and because of all the other links to the US with Sprungs and Allisons in terms of emigration, I thought the Woods might have also come to Canada that way.

Comment

OK you can ignore the info about Marcene Wood, as this is not right at all, I was looking in US for Jane and found a Jane Wood same age living with a Marcene Wood [that I presumed!] was her son. So we are looking for a Jane & William Wood with son Nehemiah somewhere in NJ? just seems odd that he just 'pops up' in 1860. he has to come from somewhere doesn't he?
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X