John Robert Bremner born about 1897 - help from NZ please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
    Thomas Jefford is Ida's brother by her mother's first marriage so not him that she took up with.

Margaret
    Ah! so it's back to the drawing board then. You might be lucky with the hospital records, if there's a 75 year closure rule you should be O.K provided the records have survived. Obviously your main aim is to find John's actual date of birth which hospital records might give you & maybe a burial record would also give you this info. If Ida didn't know that he had died maybe the LCC arranged the funeral.
    Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
      Ah! so it's back to the drawing board then. You might be lucky with the hospital records, if there's a 75 year closure rule you should be O.K provided the records have survived. Obviously your main aim is to find John's actual date of birth which hospital records might give you & maybe a burial record would also give you this info. If Ida didn't know that he had died maybe the LCC arranged the funeral.
      Moggie
      Yes, I am hopeful that the hospital or even the hostel records might show a date of birth - although a place would be good too!

I'll have a search for burial sites near to the place of death as I had not thought of that.

Margaret

Comment

There are so many Bremners in NZ, it's hard to sort them, but I still can't find any that fit your family. I'm going round in circles. There is that John Bremner SMITH who served in WW1. He married Gladys Jane McPhail in 1924.
        I've searched all the embarkation rolls for WW1 and cannot spot your man at all.

Comment

Meant to add............one John Bremner who served in WW1 Australia. He's doesn't fit your man either.

Comment

Thomas Jefford was Ida's brother by her mother's first marriage so not him she took up with - it was much later that another man came on the scene.
            Margaret
            Ah well. Worth a try. I still can't find anything positive for your missing Mr. Bremner.
            FMP has 4 records that might be him for soldiers joining WW1 NZ Forces but the records are brief with no personal details other than occupation at time of signing up. That's why I asked what the occupation was for your man on his marriage to Ida. At least it might eliminate the 4 men on FMP.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              Ah well. Worth a try. I still can't find anything positive for your missing Mr. Bremner.
              FMP has 4 records that might be him for soldiers joining WW1 NZ Forces but the records are brief with no personal details other than occupation at time of signing up. That's why I asked what the occupation was for your man on his marriage to Ida. At least it might eliminate the 4 men on FMP.
              I will find out the occupation but on death he was a traveller which I am taking to mean a salesman. From memory I have looked at those NZ WW1 records and all seem to be farmers or similar but that could be true in NZ and then different job in UK, not difficult to make the transition from either of those occupations to salesman.

Margaret

Comment

I will find out the occupation but on death he was a traveller which I am taking to mean a salesman. From memory I have looked at those NZ WW1 records and all seem to be farmers or similar but that could be true in NZ and then different job in UK, not difficult to make the transition from either of those occupations to salesman.

Margaret
                The NZ ones all had different father's names as well.

Comment

The occupation on marriage in 1931 was 'wool grader' which fits with the idea that he was from NZ.

But what came first??

Margaret

Comment

Have you tried Scotland's People to see if he was born there? I can't find him born in NSW or Qld. Vic I find harder to search.

He wasn't born in NZ and didn't serve in Australia or NZ for WW1. Not under that name anyway.

I can't find him in Papers Past at all.

Comment

Just checked Trove and the only John Bremner is accounted for. They all seem to have originated in Scotland.

Comment

There are 2 John Robert Bremner born in Scotland between 1880 and 1900. I don't have any credits or I would check them.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                          Have you tried Scotland's People to see if he was born there? I can't find him born in NSW or Qld. Vic I find harder to search.

He wasn't born in NZ and didn't serve in Australia or NZ for WW1. Not under that name anyway.

I can't find him in Papers Past at all.
                          Yes, we have looked on there.

Looked on the 1901 and 1911 census to confirm and no- one fits the bill.

Margaret
                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-05-16, 13:04.

Comment

There are 2 John Robert Bremner born in Scotland between 1880 and 1900. I don't have any credits or I would check them.
                            One is 1898 with parents Robert and Georgina. We see him in 1901 and have discounted him. I can't see the other, but there are several John R results but of those none are Robert as middle name.

Margaret
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-05-16, 13:12.

Comment

I've asked on the Onward Project if it's possible anyone is missing from the WW1 rolls from NZ.

I assumed they are complete as I've found all my family, but assuming is probably not a good idea with FH...

Comment

I've asked on the Onward Project if it's possible anyone is missing from the WW1 rolls from NZ.

I assumed they are complete as I've found all my family, but assuming is probably not a good idea with FH...
                                Thanks a lot. That could be the explanation and if I could just find at least a date of birth that would help.

Margaret

Comment

I don't suppose he left a will? It might mention other family.

Comment

You might be in luck.......There are some missing from the WW1 rolls and I hope you don't mind but I've given them his name to go searching.

Still a bit iffy about being missing from both the war records and the birth reg.

Comment

I'm off out for most of the day, but if you want to check out any of these.......I've picked out possible deaths in NZ for his father.

There are no William Roberts, so I've gone with just William
                                      1928, age 65
                                      1930, age 54
                                      1916, age 62
                                      1903, age 50
                                      1914, age 83 (this one is probably too old)

A lot of notices and stories in Papers Past for deaths, so maybe see if any of these mention sons.

Comment

Well, you can rule out John being a NZ soldier in WW1. He could, of course, gone under an alias, but he certainly did not go as John Robert Bremner or John (or Robert)Bremner and nobody had a father William Bremner.

Sorry.....but at least you know for sure now.

It might be a really interesting story......

Comment

The occupations for the 4 NZ WW1 men on FMP don't match. There's a farm labourer, baker. ploughman and road-surfaceman.

Comment

Working...
                                          X