Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Robert Bremner born about 1897 - help from NZ please

I hope someone can help with this.

I have a marriage certificate dated 1931 for John Robert Bremner age 34 who said he was born in NZ but I cannot see a birth registration. On the marriage cert he says his father is William Robert Bremner a Stock dealer, deceased.

Is it possible the birth records I can see on line are incomplete?

John also said he was part of the ANZAC troops in WW1 but again I cannot see his name anywhere on the online lists. Are the names complete?

No sightings on passenger lists from UK and no trace of a suitable birth in England, Wales and Scotland.

I have found a possible death for him in 1938 in London so he probably never returned to NZ, his occupation on the death cert was given as a Traveller, meaning a travelling salesman.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this man? or give me some clues as to where else to look.

Margaret

Hi Margaret
    What was the name of his wife?
    oggie

Comment

Where was he in 1931 Margaret?
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
        Hi Margaret
        What was the name of his wife?
        oggie
        Ida Mary Thornhill - they had 2 sons one 1932 the other 1935 both but the marriage failed and John left.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
          Where was he in 1931 Margaret?
          He was living in London where he married Ida. Don't know how long in UK but possibly since the end of WW1.

Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 11-05-16, 06:45.

Comment

My grandfather was a NZ ANZAC. The lists are fairly good, but as with anything, there could be mistakes and omissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              My grandfather was a NZ ANZAC. The lists are fairly good, but as with anything, there could be mistakes and omissions.
              What about the NZ birth index?
              Margaret

Comment

There is a John Bremner SMITH who has a father named Robert. Just a thought if he was a fib telling type.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  Ida Mary Thornhill - they had 2 sons one 1932 the other 1935 both but the marriage failed and John left.

Margaret
                  That should say 'both still alive' so cannot name.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    What about the NZ birth index?
                    Margaret
                    Can't see him on that either.

Comment

There is a John Bremner SMITH who has a father named Robert. Just a thought if he was a fib telling type.
                      Well of course there is also that possibility and possibly the first names reversed so actually Robert John or maybe sometimes just known as John or Robert without another given name. Endless possibilities really!!

Margaret

Comment

Can't see him on that either.
                        But is it reliable as complete?

Margaret

Comment

I'd say it's fairly reliable. He should be on the birth records or the war records, not missing from both. I went through all the Bremners on the WW1 list. He's not on the birth records as Bremner or Smith in those possible years, that I can see.

Comment

There's no William Robert Bremner dying in NZ from 1850 to 1931. I know you don't say he died there but just checked.

Comment

There's no William Robert Bremner dying in NZ from 1850 to 1931. I know you don't say he died there but just checked.
                              Thanks. The death we have found here matches quite well but is not conclusive so definitely worth checking.

This is a real puzzle!

One thing is we only have his word for it that he was from NZ so I suppose he could possibly have come from Australia. But why say NZ if that's not true - both places are far enough away to create the idea that no other family will ever be involved if he was trying to hide from something in UK.

Margaret

Comment

If you want to wade through Papers Past you might find something. There's nothing for their full names but lots for William Bremners and John Bremners. It's not such an uncommon name.

I have to go out but most of what I saw was marriage notices for a William's daughters around 1890s.

Comment

The cert doesn't say where in NZ or his mother's name? I so wish UK certs had Australian or NZ details.......lol

Comment

The cert doesn't say where in NZ or his mother's name? I so wish UK certs had Australian or NZ details.......lol
                                    No the marriage cert only gives father's name and occupation and if you're lucky might say deceased. The death cert only gives the details of the person who has died and the person who reported it which if you're lucky is a family member but in this case it's a hospital official so no help there!

We'd love it too if UK certs showed more information but they don't :(
                                    Margaret

Comment

If you want to wade through Papers Past you might find something. There's nothing for their full names but lots for William Bremners and John Bremners. It's not such an uncommon name.

I have to go out but most of what I saw was marriage notices for a William's daughters around 1890s.
                                      That looks to be an much older family - our man was not born until c1897 so any siblings are unlikely to be marrying around the same time - not impossible but not a theory I am going with at the moment.

I think this man was most likely born outside NZ and went there as a child - if indeed he was from NZ.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret
                                        Was there a home address on the death cert?
                                        Ida & John living 21 Golborne Rd in 1936 & Ida on her own at 9 East Row in 1938/1939. Doesn't seem to be one for 1937 & no sign of John after 1936.
                                        Moggie
                                        Last edited by maudarby; 11-05-16, 09:04.

Comment

Working...
                                        X