FTM question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM question please

I have updated my tree on Ancestry, but even though they are supposed to be connected it hasn't updated the same tree on my FTM. If I download another gedcom from Ancestry and upload it to my FTM will it create another tree on FTM with the same name or override the one already in? Also will it create yet another tree on Ancestry please, as I seem to have managed somehow to have created 3 of the same name already on Ancestry.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Only a guess but maybe the tree you updated isn't the synced one connected to your FTM, if I was you I'd get rid of the extra trees on Ancestry first, make sure you keep the most updated one .
    Am sure Elaine will come on and help you

Comment

Chrissie - to me it sounds as if the automatic sync is not on - or even that you are not comparing the online tree with the correct tree on FTM.
      First of all - can you compare the file names of all your Ancestry trees - and the filename(s) of your FTM tree(s). Send them to me via pm if you want to.

On your computer, go to My Documents and you should see a folder named Family Tree Maker. Open it - have you got more than one tree there.
      For each tree there should be three entries:
      • treename - FTM family file
      • treename - FTM backup file
      • and a folder called treename Media

The other thing - go to the Ancestry tree which you are currently working on and check the sync option. There should be an "up and down arrowed" icon next to the file name - screenshot below. Do you get the same message as in the screenshot?

ancestry tree sync.jpg
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine You have been a great help and your suggestion has solved it in an odd way.

The oddest thing happened - when I last went in to FTM it hadn't updated from Ancestry. I had already checked that the tree was fully synced both ways and I checked again this morning following your instructions. Sure enough it was. So I tried to open FTM and at first it said that it hadn't shut down properly last time and that I would need to compact it or something. However, I tried opening FTM again from the icon on my front page (laptop) and lo and behold it opened. I then opened the only tree on there (the main one) and lo and behold it opened with all the new information on it!!

I really don't know what happened but I'm a happy bunny now

Comment

Glad you are sorted! It may have been that the sync facility on Ancestry was not working. There currently seems to be continuous complaints on their FB page, and others, about errors either in the general use of the Ancestry tree facility or with how it is working with FTM. Hopefully they will get things sorted soon.
          Elaine

Comment

I opened my FTM last night and it was blank ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              I opened my FTM last night and it was blank ?
              Did you manage to find your file?
              Elaine

Comment

I've been too busy today Elaine, it was very late last night when I realised, shall have a look in a minute ,if you hear a loud scream

Comment

dont know whats going on tree was missing on FTM, so I downloaded one last night from Ancestry, today it is saying tree is not uploaded and linked on ancestry click to upload to ancestry ? if I do that wont I end up with 2 trees ???

Comment

Snap Val. that's exactly what mine was saying when I posted the thread and I now have the same problem back again.
                    p.s. and that's what I was afraid of too - ending up with yet another tree.
                    I am wondering whether to delete the other three trees with a similar name.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 02-05-16, 16:14.

Comment

It's unusual for a tree to go missing on FTM. If it is completely missing it means that you have physically deleted the data file from your hard drive. I don't know of any other way you could lose it!

What is more probable is that you have either moved the file (thinking here about your problems with Dropbox - did your data files from FTM get moved when that was going on) or when you open FTM it is not looking in the right directory for your FTM file.

Presume you know the name of your FTM file - if so do a search on your computer for the file and see where it is stored. The normal place would be My Documents / Family Tree Maker folder.
                      Elaine

Comment

Default folder for FTM files is My Documents >> Family Tree Maker folder.

Open FTM.
                        Click on FILE >> OPEN
                        Does that take you to the Family Tree Maker folder - if so is your file there?
                        Elaine

Comment

hi Elaine and thanks after a load of jiggling this and that I had to download my tree again , its just finished syncing took hours ,and so far looks okay phew , you are probably right about dropbox.
                          Thanks for your advice.

Comment

after I posted this I noticed I had two trees on Ancestry both synced to FTM ?? but one had a lot less info on than the original one so I saved the original one and deleted the second one.
                            Hope it stays okay now.

Comment

I'm so pleased that you have sorted yours Val. I am still in a real pickle though.

According to Ancestry AND FTM the tree I want is linked, in fact all four with similar names are linked.
                              However, the version I want to copy on FTM won't open up. I have ended up with yet another tree on Ancestry and have had to rename that now, as I need to know which is which. The only one that I can open up is called the same as the one I want but isn't the one I want.
                              When I follow your reply #12 Elaine I can only see one tree and one backup in my documents.
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 04-05-16, 10:20.

Comment

I am trying something different now. I have taken out FTM. Then I have unlinked all my trees except the one I want. Now I am going to upload FTM again and I really hope that solves the problem!!

Comment

You seem to have got yourself in a right pickle!
                                  It's very difficult when I can't see what you've got and what you are trying to achieve.
                                  I think the best advice I can give is go to FTM and totally UNLINK your tree. Then go back to Ancestry and check that has unliked all the trees you have on there.
                                  Once you've done that then go back to Ancestry and check that the tree you want (your master copy) has a distinctive different name from all the other trees you have on Ancestry AND on FTM. Then relink (resync) the master one.
                                  Does that make sense ??
                                  Elaine

Comment

Oops - didn't see your previous post! You are on step ahead of me.
                                    Elaine

Comment

I was hoping you had sorted yours too Chrissie, I dont know why mine said the tree wasn't linked, other than what Elaine suggested about dropbox.

Comment

I am really fed up now. The only tree showing as linked on FTM is the one I want. The others are still showing but as unlinked. It won't let me open the one I want, it says go to Ancestry, but when I do it says go to FTM!!
                                        In my documents there is a file called Family Tree Maker with backgrounds - templates etc and one family tree and one back up showing but if I click on it I get This is not a Family Tree Maker file or it's corrupt. I think it's one I don't want that I have unlinked.

Comment

Working...
                                        X