Charlotte Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte Carr

I have a birth for a Charlotte Carr in the Scottish Old Parish registers of Perth. Born to Duncan Carr and Catherine Brewster on August 9, 1820.

I am trying to determine if this is the same Charlotte Carr that married John Honey on Dec. 10, 1839 at St Martins Parish.

This marriage of Charlotte Carr and John Honey produced a Charlotte Honey born 1844 in Scotland.

Does anyone have ideas to confirm that the infant Charlotte Carr in 1920 is the same one that married John Honey in 1839?

Have you looked at the marriage cert in 1839? If so, doesn't it give the parents names?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

1839 - Perth - there was also a Charlotte Carr married a David Drew 14th dec
      Charlotte Carr married John Honey dec 10th
      just letting you know so as you don't mix the 2 Charlotte Carr up
      xx

Charlotte Carr
      mentioned in the record of David Drew and Charlotte Carr
      Name David Drew
      Spouse's Name Charlotte Carr
      Event Date 14 Dec 1839
      Event Place Errol,Perth,Scotland
      Marriage
      Last edited by garstonite; 27-04-16, 09:01.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

The Charlotte Carr I'm following married John Honey. I haven't seen a marriage certificate for her, but I imagine the wedding would have been 1840ish.

I guess this means it's possible that the 1820-born Charlotte Carr I have is the one that married Drew instead of Honey?

In the 1841 census, Charlotte (Carr) Honey's age suggests she was born in 1820 or 1821, like the Charlotte in my original post.
        Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 27-04-16, 09:13.

Comment

They also appear to have been registered the next day in Kinnoull Allan - 15th Dec 1839 - Charlotte Carr to David Drew - Kinnoull Perth 369/00 0030 0417

Comment

The marriage cert is available on Scotlands People - 10/12/1839 CARR CHARLOTTE JOHN HONEY/ F ST MARTINS /PERTH 393/00 0030 0135
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 27-04-16, 09:19.

Comment

Oh, I see what you mean. I have just had a look at it and it doesn't give parents names.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
                The Charlotte Carr I'm following married John Honey. I haven't seen a marriage certificate for her, but I imagine the wedding would have been 1840ish.

I guess this means it's possible that the 1820-born Charlotte Carr I have is the one that married Drew instead of Honey?

In the 1841 census, Charlotte (Carr) Honey's age suggests she was born in 1820 or 1821, like the Charlotte in my original post.
                Don't forget though that on the 1841 census ages of adults were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5 so if Charlotte's age was shown as 20 she could have been anywhere between 20 and 24 and so perhaps born as early as 1816
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There is something really odd. There is only one birth showing for a Charlotte Carr between 1815 and 1822. In 1841 there is a Charlotte Carr living with David Drew - aged 20 born Perthshire -
                  Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

AND a Charlette (probable mistranscription) Honey living with John Honey and baby Catherine aged 1 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1076

Comment

The Charlotte Carr I'm following married John Honey.
                    The only way to find out the parents of this Charlotte is (as she married before 1855 in Scotland) to find her death record which should (unless you are unfortunate or she died before 1855) give the names of her father and mother. Do you have her death?

Comment

In 1851, Charlette [sic, but same spelling as in 1841] HONEY is shown age 30 born Scone

Comment

In 1861 John is a Widower with likely youngest son Robert age 7 [and likely taken up with Catherine CARR - relation?] as there is a James C[arr?] HONEY age 10 months. This may mean Charle/otte died before 1855 BUT if Catherine is Charlotte's sister all is not lost if the married or you can find her death

Comment

In 1871 Catherine CARR is not in the household but James (now age 10 is). As Catherine is born Scone in 1861, I think it likely she is Charlotte's sister so these are the poss baptisms:

Catharine CARR born 23 Feb 1818 Scone parents Duncan CARR & Catherine BREWSTER
                          Charlotte CARR born 09 Aug 1820 Scone parents ditto

A death record for Catherine might just clinch it

Comment

Great work Bertie, thanks for looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              There is something really odd. There is only one birth showing for a Charlotte Carr between 1815 and 1822. In 1841 there is a Charlotte Carr living with David Drew - aged 20 born Perthshire -
                              Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

AND a Charlette (probable mistranscription) Honey living with John Honey and baby Catherine aged 1 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=1076
                              Thanks, this played a role in the discoveries on the next page.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                In 1861 John is a Widower with likely youngest son Robert age 7 [and likely taken up with Catherine CARR - relation?] as there is a James C[arr?] HONEY age 10 months. This may mean Charle/otte died before 1855 BUT if Catherine is Charlotte's sister all is not lost if the married or you can find her death
                                You are right. Catherine and Charlotte are sisters.

I'm now trying in vain to move up the tree from their parents were Duncan Carr and Catharine Brewster.

Comment

You know they married 26 Oct 1818 at Scone - do you have this record? It might give some useful information re his occupation. Otherwise, any Scottish death of any child (after 1855) will state occupation of parents. This may give a useful clue for further research.

In 1841: Catherine is 50 born Perthshire with 3 daughters and in 1851 she is 35 [!] born St. Martins Perthshire. St Martins is a parish in the Strathmore district of Perthshire, containing Guildtown village, 6 miles N by E of Perth which is where they are (i.e. Guildtown in 1841 & 1851). It might be worth checking on baptisms there. A further clue in 1851 is that a nephew John HEPBURN is staying (in 1861 he is a Ploughman in Errol) - he might be the son of Catherine's sister. If you can find his baptism or marriage or death to confirm his mother is a BREWSTER then you can focus your BREWSTER research on finding the parents of both Catherine and her sibling.

Duncan is dead by 1841 it would seem, and certainly by 1851 so the only clue at the moment is the marriage in Scone. This is some 4 miles south of Guildtown and I think is the local church. Chances are that Duncan was from Guildtown too - but just a supposition (which may change if his occupation is ascertained). Have you found a burial for him that would indicate his DOB?

Comment

Re. Duncan - there is a notice in the Perthshire Courier 16 Aug 1832 re a Duncan CARR - a notice to his creditors - stating he has executed a Trust Deed in favour of David Burns, Writer (i.e. Solicitor) in Perth for his creditors to make any claims to - he presumably went bankrupt or out of business. He is described as Grocer and Spirit Dealer, Guildtown. So could be him

Comment

The Duncan Carr that married Charlotte Brewster was a blacksmith.

Comment

The Duncan Carr that married Charlotte Brewster was a blacksmith.
                                        What is the source?

Comment

Working...
                                        X