Charlotte Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a web search:

"Guildtown was founded in 1818 by the Guildry Incorporation of Perth. Sitting along what is now the A93 road between Perth and Blairgowrie, Guildtown housed workers tending the Guildry's Craigmakerran Estate which encompasses Hallroom, Redford, Loanhead and Newlands farms. The Guildry's mansion house (Craigmakerran) overlooks Guildtown from the north-east"

And from familysearch:

"MARTIN'S, ST., a parish, in the county of Perth, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Perth; containing the villages of Caroline-Place and Guildtown, and the hamlet of Cairnbeddie....The old church, built in 1773, and which was both inconvenient and unsafe, was taken down, and a handsome and substantial structure erected in 1842" Film 1040137 covers the parish with births and mariages [with somem gaps] up to 1856 and deaths to 1749. Searching on this film # at familysearch gives the following poss. baptism:

Name Kathrine Brouster
    Gender Female
    Christening Date 28 Nov 1784
    Christening Place SAINT MARTINS,PERTH,SCOTLAND
    Father's Name James Brouster
    Mother's Name Kathrine Bruce

Though you would need to look at the 1851 original census record (to determine what age she really was) and a burial record to determine whether this record is a bit early

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
      What is the source?

Multiple death records of their children. Listed regularly as smith or blacksmith.
      Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 29-04-16, 07:40.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
        Multiple death records of their children. Listed regularly as smith or blacksmith.
        Could you set out all you know about Duncan CARR & Catherine BREWSTER?

Comment

Could you set out all you know about Duncan CARR & Catherine BREWSTER?
          Duncan Carr - blacksmith - born unknown, died before 1851 and probably before 1841

Catharine Brewster - grocer - born around 1785-1790 (St. Martins), died 1869 March 2 (St. Martins)

Duncan and Catharine had the following children:

Ann Carr (died unmarried 1865 Jan 12, age 42, Guildtown)
          Charlotte (Carr) Honey
          ……(born 1820 Aug 9, Scone, Perth)
          ……(married John Honey, Shoemaker)
          ……(died after 1851 and before 1861 census)
          Catherine Carr (born around 1820, died unmarried 1864 Jan 2, St. Martins, Guildtown)
          Jane (Carr) Dewar. (born around 1842, died 1898 July 27)
          ……Jane produced John Hepburn (born around 1856) with David Hepburn but went on to marry William Dewar.

note - these are the kids that I know of, parish records could possibly show more.

1841 Census
          - Catharine (Brewster) Carr, age 50, occupation illegible… “Sp. Deal:” ??
          - Living with three daughters: Catharine (25), Ann (15), Jean (13)
          1851 Census
          - C(B)C, age 55, vintner
          - Living with two daughters: Catharine (31) and Ann (27)
          - Also living with “nephew” John Hepburn (age 5) - actually son of her daughter Jean
          1861 Census
          - C(B)C age 71 living only with granddaughter Jean Carr (age 10)

Also:
          John Hepburn (son of Jane Carr Dewar, apparently grandson of Catherine Brewster) died 1874 May 27.
          Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 29-04-16, 08:42.

Comment

Thanks for that. A couple of points....

What does it say on Catherine's death record of 1869? Esp. age and parents?

The fact that she was a spirit dealer [i.e. Sp. Deal. in 1841] / grocer / vintner would make me look again at the press notice for Duncan CARR (likely associated with his death) and to think in terms of Catherine taking over the business. Guildtown was a small place. Also, in my experience when a father has more than on occupation in his life, often the FIRST is stated on official records - this would suggest to me that he was first a Blacksmith then became a Grocer & Spirit Dealer.

Also, the fact he was a Blacksmith, presumably one that had completed his apprenticeship suggests one of two things - his father was a blacksmith and he was apprenticed to him or his parents were sufficiently wealthy for him to be apprenticed to a blacksmith (i.e. cover his costs for the 7 years).

Also, but perhaps of not great significance, to be married in 1818 he would have have had to have completed his apprenticeship and thus would have been at least 21 (assuming normal start at age 14)
            Last edited by Bertie; 29-04-16, 10:01.

Comment

Thanks for that. A couple of points....

What does it say on Catherine's death record of 1869? Esp. age and parents?
              Literally almost nothing. Her father's last name was Brewster and he was a Pendicler.

Catharine was 84.

Comment

You may find something of use in the Statistical Accounts of Scotland at edina.ac.uk - they have both the first account in the 1790s anf the second for the 1830s/40s for St Martins. You can browse the scanned pages for free [at the bottom right of the login page]. They have much information on the history and life of the parish and may have something of interest on the selling of spirits for example.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
                  Catharine was 84.
                  See my post #21 - seems a good possibility.

Duncan may have been born elsewhere and took up an apprenticeship or job in Guildtown - if so more difficult to find him

Comment

As we recall, Catharine Brewster was the daughter (baptised Nov. 28, 1784 at St. Martins) of James Brouster and Kathrine Bruce.

From James Brouster (a James Brouster was baptised June 16, 1745 at St Martins, son of John of Eastmoor of ?Carnbarnie?) I've searched the St. Martins register and found some candidates for his parents and grandparents....

At St. Martins:

John Brouster (son of George of Byres) baptised July 25, 1719 - good age to have fathered James

The James Brouster (1745) and John Brouster (1719) are good ages to have fathered the people of appropriate names below them in St. Martins, but that's all I have as a connection...

Good enough to write it in pencil?

Comment

Working...
                    X