Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

Disaster has struck. I use a Windows Premium 7 computer which works find usually.
    About 20 minutes ago, whilst using it, I changed pages to look something up and noticed, to my horror that windows 10 was loading onto my computer!!! I am absolutely livid because I am very careful when it pops up to tell it I don't want it by clicking the X but there it was, already loading ......... it is not compatible on my computer and has recently been an awful nusance wanting to upload at every opportunity. Since it had already started and there was no way to stop it I pulled out all the plugs and husband took out the battery (which it hadn't crossed my mind to do). Windows 10 is driving me round the bend - how do I stop its unwanted intrusions and now, having found myself with it starting to load (I don't know how long it had been doing it for), how do I get rid of it.
    If it were nuisance calls on the phone I could do something about it but it would appear that windows 7 is a law unto itself and determined I should use it ............ I am very happy with firefox and DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE TO WINDOWS 10.

What can I do - can I let it finish loading and then get rid of it - is it possible to do this?
    I just cannot believe this has happened and it has done so without my permission. I have AVG protection on the computer and the uploading of windows 7 is checked as not to be allowed.

Sue - incandescent!

sue
    I check windows updates before I agree to any down loads at all
    if when you check updates you see these codes kb3035583 kb 3022345 kb 2952664 you need to select each of them
    and click on the hide option
    if you don't windows will put win 10 in the system to download next time you shut down or do your updates
    you have to do this before any update or windows will try to slip it in at every opportunity
    brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

If Windows 10 does download and install itself. You can then roll back to windows 7 as long as you do so within 30 days
      Sue ;)

Comment

Sue, agreed this is outrageous controlling behaviour from Microsoft and in addition it is hard to stop, but aparently not impossible. The following web page

goes into it in great detail and if you scroll down to the section labelled How to NOT Upgrade

then there are detailed instructions there.

David

Comment

thank you very helpful
          brian
          researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Thank you. I am pleased I read this posting. It helped me realize that MS had downloaded Windows 10 in updates already to be installed. I wondered why I was receiving messages asking when I wish to schedule installation. Have now done a disc cleanup and changed my settings for updates.
            Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Thank you Brian - I wasn't able to stop it, or rather get it off the computer - very crafty they are - windows 10 taking up whole page but nowhere was there an X to even drop down the page. I couldn't put the codes in that you have me.
              Husband took comp to computer shop and they said they could get rid of it (lot of people having problems) and they had some codes they put in - probably the same as you gave me BUT where could I have put them? I couldn't get away from the page to do anything. I do not like their marketing methods at all.
              Grateful advice. Sue

Comment

sue
                you don't enter those codes you look for them in windows updates then select to hide them , that stops window from puttih win 10 into the download
                program on your comp
                brian

Comment

I too was incandescent this morning when Windows 10 started to install itself. Managed to put a halt to the installation and installed "Never 10" from Major Geeks website. This also allowed me to remove W10 files and computer has speeded up somewhat. How dare MS download and then install W10 without my permission.
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Linda, I can understand how you feel! When my Windows 10 appeared it took up the whole screen with no "X" in the corner to drop it down - I could do nothing except look at it and wonder what to do! I couldn't even act on the advice given because I couldn't close the page.
                    It is not as if I am using Windows AT ALL - I am using Firefox - I suspect that what Windows 10 are doing is not doing their reputation any good from what I have heard!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                      Linda, I can understand how you feel! When my Windows 10 appeared it took up the whole screen with no "X" in the corner to drop it down - I could do nothing except look at it and wonder what to do! I couldn't even act on the advice given because I couldn't close the page.
                      It is not as if I am using Windows AT ALL - I am using Firefox - I suspect that what Windows 10 are doing is not doing their reputation any good from what I have heard!
                      Sue - you are confusing your browser with your operating system.

Windows 7 is what makes your computer work i.e. the Operating System - your browser, is Firefox (or Chrome or Internet Explorer), which is a piece of software that you use to look at things online. You do need to keep your browser up to date or you may not be able to use some websites, or they act oddly, and it is generally advisable but not compulsory to keep your Operating System up to date as well, as otherwise you may find that your computer doesn't work correctly.

Windows 10, the latest version of the operating sysytem, will come in through Windows update - but only if you have said it can. Firefox will usually update itself before it opens and will ask you if it is Ok to do it.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                      X