Mother's name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's name

On my parents marriage certificate my mother's name is down as Kathleen Hayes but I can't find any details about her anywhere. I can however find details of a Catherine Hayes which seem to tie in with my mother. Does this mean my mother changed her name? All the family knew her as Katie or Kit.

yes its possible I have all sorts of name changes .

Comment

On my grandparents' marriage certificate the surname of the bride is incorrect - McDonald instead of McDonough. (When I started family history, I always thought that official/written documents would be accurate and "correct," LOL.)
      So, I think it is quite possible for Catherine and Kathleen to be transposed (and recorded incorrectly) as both sound similar, and are variations of the same name, and can each have the pet names of Kate and Kit.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-03-16, 01:20.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you both for the help but who do I search for, Catherine or Kathleen? I think probably Kathleen but not sure. I din't know it would be so confusing.

Comment

Hello Luna,

has your mum passed over? if so you can mention her name [but we don't allow living peoples names to be posted] [if you need someone who is living looking for then we do that over the private messaging system on here] Kathleen can be shortened to Katie/Kate [which could be mistook for Catherine/Katherine] I would start by looking for her as Kathleen. Do you know her parents names? [your grandparents]

Once we get you back to the 1911 census, things should be much easier as there is an online paper trail to follow. before this though you will have to buy certs to make sure that you are going down the 'right' route, [many have fallen in to the trap of 'oh I shan't bother getting that cert as I KNOW that Grandad Bill married Grandma Florence in 1920' not that they knew of course that Bill had been married previously, [but wouldn't know if they hadn't got the cert.]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

sometimes the Registrar makes mistakes - when my Aunty died I told my father - her older brother - I would go and get the death certificate - I took the Death Certificate to my dad who said "thats wrong, Vera was 76 when she died - not 75 "....when we checked all the details , the birth year was right - the death date was right - but the Registrar calculated she was 75 instead of 76 ...she made the mistake ...
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hopefully her marriage certificate gives her father's name and occupation. Do these match the details for the Catherine you found?
              What details have you found for Catherine? -ie birth, census etc? Have you checked to make sure there are no later records for this Catherine, eg marriage/death, which rule out her being your Kathleen?
              If you have found a birth record for Catherine did your mum have any siblings whose birth certificates you could get in order to compare parents names with Catherine's?
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

You have enough with the 3 letter string 'ath' to make use of wildcards if the database you are searching allows them.
                Try seaching for *ath*n* that should bring up the variations Cathleen, Kathleen, Catherine, Katherine. With the last two, you would also get variations where either the middle or the last 'e ' was missing. Unlikely mistakes but possible.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-03-16, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  Hello Luna,

has your mum passed over? if so you can mention her name [but we don't allow living peoples names to be posted] [if you need someone who is living looking for then we do that over the private messaging system on here] Kathleen can be shortened to Katie/Kate [which could be mistook for Catherine/Katherine] I would start by looking for her as Kathleen. Do you know her parents names? [your grandparents]

Once we get you back to the 1911 census, things should be much easier as there is an online paper trail to follow. before this though you will have to buy certs to make sure that you are going down the 'right' route, [many have fallen in to the trap of 'oh I shan't bother getting that cert as I KNOW that Grandad Bill married Grandma Florence in 1920' not that they knew of course that Bill had been married previously, [but wouldn't know if they hadn't got the cert.]
                  My mother's name was Kathleen Hayes and she died in 1969. Her parents were Patrick Hayes and Ellen Watkins. I think they were married in 1911.

Comment

Patrick Hayes and Ellen L Watkins married in Edmonton 1910

Comment

could this be her
                      Catherine Hayes born 1912 Islington you dont say what year she was born ?

Comment

Patrick Hayes born abt 1892 Tottenham own account flower seller
                        Ellen Louisa born abt 1892 London Finsbury Park
                        Son Patrick Walter Hayes abt 1911 London Finsbury Park

46 Campbell Road Finsbury Park

of course Catherine hadn't been born yet

Comment

Born 15 Dec 1912

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Patrick Hayes and Ellen L Watkins married in Edmonton 1910
                            Thanks, I thought it was 1911 but yes 1910 is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              could this be her
                              Catherine Hayes born 1912 Islington you dont say what year she was born ?
                              I believe she was born 8/11/1913

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
                                I believe she was born 8/11/1913
                                what makes you so certain that her birth date was then? [not being flippant ] I just see that from your 'other' thread did you purchase the birth cert that Dave found for you? and did you find/purchase your grandparents marriage cert to confirm things? [I know that certs are expensive and this hobby IS expensive, but there are ways of finding the same information if you know where to look :smilee: ] do you have a subscription to Ancestry or Findmypast at all?

maybe we could find your grandparents marriage in the LMA records [if they married in church that is!]
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

On your mothers marriage certificate, what does it give for her father's name and occupation please? Also, what does it give as her age and does it say Spinster? The names of the witnesses may also help.
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                  X